It is currently 05/18/24 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
PostPosted: 01/17/12 7:09 am • # 1 
Editorialist

seems the captain abandoned ship before the passengers. Reports from passengers that the officers were not helping but lower level staff (waiters, cooks maids etc were doing all they could, This is from msnbc and is the transcript of the coast guards conversation with the captain. Its sort of unbelievable

Updated at noon ET: Rescue workers discovered five bodies on Tuesday, bringing the death toll of the Costa Concordia accident to 11. The adult bodies, believed to be passengers, were all wearing life jackets and were found in the rear of the ship near an emergency evacuation point, according to Italian Coast Guard Cmdr. Cosimo Nicastro.

The discovery came hours after Italian naval divers used explosives to blow holes in the ship's hull in an effort to find 29 missing passengers.

Meanwhile, a transcript of a conversation between the cruise liner's captain, Francesco Schettino, and Capt. Gregorio De Falco of the Italian coast guard in Livorno, was released this morning.

In the recording, De Falco can be heard urgently commanding the captain to return to the cruise ship after he had abandoned it.

"There are people trapped on board," De Falco said. "Now you go with your boat under the prow on the starboard side. There is a pilot ladder. You will climb that ladder and go on board. You go on board and then you will tell me how many people there are. Is that clear? I'm recording this conversation, Cmdr. Schettino ..."

Schettino resisted returning to the ship, saying "I am here with the rescue boats, I am here, I am not going anywhere, I am here."

"You go aboard. It is an order. Don't make any more excuses," De Falco said. "You have declared 'abandon ship.' Now I am in charge. You go on board! Is that clear? Do you hear me? Go, and call me when you are aboard. My air rescue crew is there."

"But you do realize it is dark and here we can't see anything," Schettino told the coast guard.

De Falco responded: "And so what? You want to go home, Schettino? It is dark and you want to go home? Get on that prow of the boat using the pilot ladder and tell me what can be done, how many people there are and what there needs are. Now!"

Schettino will remain in jail until a judge rules on the next course of action. A prosecutor told NBC News that the judge has not yet made a ruling. Schettino is accused of causing the wreck and abandoning his ship before the more than 4,200 people aboard were evacuated.

NBC News is reporting that the captain had a history of disobeying orders. Schettino, according to Italian news reports, had once left Marseilles, France, in bad weather, against company policy and coast guard orders. The captain was also once reportedly caught sailing too close to the shore in another part of Italy.

PostPosted: 01/17/12 10:05 am • # 2 
Administrator

I've been waiting to comment on this because the story has been rapidly changing ~ the "captain's" prior history brings the company into the crosshairs with him ~ but this transcript is all the proof I need to believe that charging the "captain" with several counts of manslaughter is too generous ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/17/12 10:43 am • # 3 
Editorialist

If he has a history of disobeying orders and acting recklessly while on the job, why the heck was he still employed by the cruise line?

PostPosted: 01/17/12 1:08 pm • # 4 
This guy is the lowest of low.  To not only cause the accident, but to then abandon all those people he was responsible for is just unreal.

PostPosted: 01/19/12 5:52 am • # 5 
Administrator

I read somewhere yesterday that Schettino was claiming he did not abandon ship, but slipped and just happened to land in a lifeboat ~ Image ~ what a terrible shame that it took 11 [plus a likely 26 more] deaths to recognize what a reckless danger this guy is ~ Sooz 

Francesco Schettino, the Costa Concordia's Daredevil Captain

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply