It is currently 05/18/24 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
PostPosted: 01/22/12 9:03 am • # 1 
Administrator

Gabby Giffords

PostPosted: 01/22/12 9:17 am • # 2 

You're right, sooz, she has to do what's best for herself.  I also agree that right now it's probably what's best for her constituents, although they'd rather have her, regardless.  What an extraordinary woman.  I look forward to her return.  We need her.  I selfishly say we even though I'm not in her state.  We need strong sensible people in the House and the Senate.  I can never find the words to express my feelings for this woman (and for her husband).  I'm just in awe.

PostPosted: 01/22/12 12:00 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

I'm misting up a little, reading this. She's doing the right thing, stepping down now. How sweet it'll be when she comes back, if she can.

PostPosted: 01/22/12 12:35 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

It is sad to lose her at this time in history, particularly in the State of Arizona.

Anyone know by what method she will be replaced, who will take over to represent her constituents?  What are the mechanics of this process?  Constituents cannot be left unrepresented, can they?

JD

PostPosted: 01/22/12 12:44 pm • # 5 
JD, I just heard that the governor will have to call a special election to replace her.

PostPosted: 01/22/12 4:35 pm • # 6 
I wish her a very successful recovery in this very long road she had ahead of her.

PostPosted: 01/23/12 8:07 am • # 7 
Administrator

Steve Benen does a mid-day "campaign round-up" post ~ these are the first two items in today's installment ~ how ultra perfect it would be if Mark Kelly is elected to fill Gabby's seat!!! ~ Sooz

Quote:
* Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), a year after surviving an assassination attempt, has decided she'll step down from Congress this week to focus on her ongoing recovery. Giffords will not seek re-election in November.

* On a related note, Gov. Jan Brewer (R) will have to set a day for a special election, and Democratic officials hope to persuade Giffords' husband, astronaut Mark Kelly, to run for the seat.
http://www.washingtonmont...ign_roundup_35034927.php

PostPosted: 01/23/12 8:29 am • # 8 

My very first thought when I heard she was going to give up her seat was how cool it would be for him to take it.  Then I realized that her recovery does not go on without him being right there when she needs that.  They will have all types of things along the way that they may do as part of her recovery.  The recovery is physical, mental and emotional.  He can not take her seat.  His place is with her, his strength should go to her.  He retired to be as big a part of her recovery as she needs him to be.  He retired to be with her.  Going to Washington will not aid in her recovery.  If it was she would have kept her seat.  Hopefully none of us think he should go to Washington with her staying in Arizona.

PostPosted: 01/23/12 8:36 am • # 9 
Administrator

Excellent point, jeanne ~ and obviously one that didn't cross my mind ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/25/12 4:02 am • # 10 
Administrator

"Bittersweet", indeed ~ Sooz

Bittersweet

Gabby Giffords resigns from Congress today. Watch her entrance into the House chamber for the State of the Union address last night:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2012/01/bittersweet.php?ref=fpblg

PostPosted: 01/25/12 6:12 am • # 11 
Administrator

sooz08 wrote:
Excellent point, jeanne ~ and obviously one that didn't cross my mind ~ Image

Sooz
It is their decision to make. They know their circumstances much better than we do.

PostPosted: 01/25/12 7:20 am • # 12 
Editorialist

that is a nice moment between her and Obama.

PostPosted: 01/25/12 8:35 am • # 13 
it was

i really admire her husband through all this , of course , as well as gabby.

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply