It is currently 05/24/24 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: "Hello, I must be going"
PostPosted: 01/25/12 4:38 am • # 1 
Administrator

From yesterday ~ I figured something like this was in the works, given Steve's recent absences ~ and while I'm very happy for him [working with Rachel!], I will miss him ~ I view Steve as one of the very best bloggers, liberal or conservative, out there ~ he's not perfect ~ no one is ~ but he has a deep wealth of knowledge, calls 'em as he sees 'em, and is quick to correct himself when he makes a mistake ~ I wish him much success ~ Sooz 

January 24, 2012 12:20 PM
Hello, I must be going
By Steve Benen

I have some news to share: after three-and-a-half years at the Washington Monthly, I'm moving on. My last post will be tomorrow and I'll start my new career at MSNBC on Monday morning.

Working for the Monthly has been an amazing experience, but I'm thrilled about an extraordinary opportunity at MSNBC: I'm going to be a producer for “The Rachel Maddow Showâ€

PostPosted: 01/25/12 12:05 pm • # 2 
Administrator

This is the editor-in-chief of the Washington Monthly's announcement of Steve leaving and naming Ed Kilgore his successor ~ not sure if Ed will continue some of Steve's repeating posts: Daily Mini-Report, From the Weekend, etc ~ we'll see ~ Sooz

January 25, 2012 5:20 PM
Hello and Goodbye
By Paul Glastris

When we were first creating the Political Animal blog on this site a decade ago, my first choice to fill it was the only blogger I personally knew, someone who was then a staff writer for the magazine—the amazing Josh Marshall. But Josh had already started Talking Points Memo and thought he could make a go of it (good call). As an alternative Josh suggested a blogger I hadn't heard of, Kevin Drum. One look at Kevin's site, CalPundit, convinced me Josh was right.

Kevin was an instant hit. He became an integral part of the magazine, and he and I became friends. But alas, all good things come to an end; one day a few years ago, he told me had received an offer he couldn't refuse from Mother Jones. I panicked. He was the tent pole holding up our whole website; I could never replace him, I thought. But Kevin suggested another writer who had guest blogged on Political Animal, Steve Benen. That made great sense to me. But still, I wondered, could anyone fill Kevin's shoes?

Steve, of course, did, brilliantly. In fact, he took the blog in wonderful directions I'd never imagined. As with Kevin, he became part of the Monthly family and a personal friend.

Then, a few weeks ago, Steve let me know that Rachel Maddow at MSNBC had made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

My first reaction, also expressed by a commenter, was “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.â€

PostPosted: 01/25/12 12:12 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Steve's "wrap" post ~ it'll be interesting to see, given his Maddow show "producer" and MSNBC "contributor" responsibilities, how much he'll blog at The Maddow Blog ~ Sooz

January 25, 2012 5:35 PM
And that's a wrap
By Steve Benen

I suspect most readers saw the news yesterday, but just in case, this is my very last post here at the Washington Monthly. I'll start my new gig at MSNBC on Monday, Jan. 30. (I'll be traveling on Thursday and Friday, so no blogging for me.)

I am thrilled to be passing the torch to one of my very favorite writers. I may be leaving Political Animal, but it's important to me to leave it in capable hands, and that's exactly what's going to happen: as Paul Glastris explained earlier, Ed Kilgore will get started here tomorrow. Ed is one of the best in the business, and I can only hope he enjoys writing for the Monthly as much as I have.

I tend not to talk too much about myself on the blog, but I hope readers will indulge me for a moment. I ran my own site from 2003 to 2008, and dreamed that I'd get picked up by a news outlet I enjoy and respect, so I could get paid to do what I love. The Washington Monthly gave me that opportunity three-and-a-half years ago, and for that, the editors, publishers, and the rest of the team here has my endless gratitude.

I meant what I said yesterday: I wasn't prepared to leave this job unless something truly special came along, and fortunately for me, something did. The chance to work for Rachel Maddow and MSNBC is a dream gig that I couldn't be more excited about.

One last thing: the support I've received since the announcement — in the comments section, via email, through social media — has been extraordinary. Readers are probably accustomed to my long-winded rants, so I'll just say this: I lack the words to tell you how much I appreciate the support and encouragement.

And with that, I'm off. Be nice to the new guy — no hazing, please — and I hope to see you all on Monday morning.

http://www.washingtonmont...d_thats_a_wrap034999.php

PostPosted: 01/25/12 3:38 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

Bittersweet. I'm happy that he's happy....but I hope he keeps writing, often.

PostPosted: 01/25/12 3:51 pm • # 5 
Watch him in action on MSNBC on the Rachel Maddow Show: http://msnbclive.eu/ 9 PM Eastern Time.

PostPosted: 01/26/12 3:08 am • # 6 
Administrator

Sidartha wrote:
Watch him in action on MSNBC on the Rachel Maddow Show: http://msnbclive.eu/ 9 PM Eastern Time.

Thanks for the link, Sid!

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply