It is currently 06/01/24 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next   Page 6 of 8   [ 189 posts ]
PostPosted: 01/17/13 10:53 am • # 126 
Administrator

So, how is it that such idiots had an AK-47?

PostPosted: 01/17/13 11:02 am • # 127 
I am glad the outpatient therapy was successful for your son. Insurance is a huge problem, but there are charity care programs out there. In my area, John Brooks Recovery Center works with the uninsured. The individual states fund charity care.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 11:04 am • # 128 
kathyk1024 wrote:
I am glad the outpatient therapy was successful for your son. Insurance is a huge problem, but there are charity care programs out there. In my area, John Brooks Recovery Center works with the uninsured. The individual states fund charity care.

Charity programs are overfull with long waiting lists.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 12:23 pm • # 129 
Editorialist

mpicky wrote:
kathyk1024 wrote:
Drugs and guns are intricately entwined.

Sure I'd like to hear your thoughts on fixing the drug problem.

Decriminalize it so people can get treatment. I think the only cure for drugs is serious treatment. Treat them like criminals and they will act like criminals.

totally agree, pickey. surprised?

PostPosted: 01/17/13 12:27 pm • # 130 
Editorialist

mpicky wrote:
And to get slightly personal, I just put my son through rehab this fall. 6 weeks of intense outpatient group therapy and weekly drug tests. The sessions were 3 times a week for 3 hours at a time. With a LISW, who basically asked a question, but the men pretty much gave the therapy and support. Imagine my surprise when I got the EOB from the insurance company. (My husband has GREAT insurance) They billed our insurance $12,000.00 (I paid $200). That is REALLY out of reach for most people without insurance. It should not cost that much to get help getting off drugs. I was appalled and really pissed off. I met all the men in his group, many were struggling financially and most did not have insurance.

He has been successfully clean for about 6 months now

how are the other aspects of his life working, now?

PostPosted: 01/17/13 12:27 pm • # 131 
macroscopic wrote:
mpicky wrote:
kathyk1024 wrote:
Drugs and guns are intricately entwined.

Sure I'd like to hear your thoughts on fixing the drug problem.

Decriminalize it so people can get treatment. I think the only cure for drugs is serious treatment. Treat them like criminals and they will act like criminals.

No, I feel like we have had the discussion before.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 12:27 pm • # 132 
macroscopic wrote:
mpicky wrote:
And to get slightly personal, I just put my son through rehab this fall. 6 weeks of intense outpatient group therapy and weekly drug tests. The sessions were 3 times a week for 3 hours at a time. With a LISW, who basically asked a question, but the men pretty much gave the therapy and support. Imagine my surprise when I got the EOB from the insurance company. (My husband has GREAT insurance) They billed our insurance $12,000.00 (I paid $200). That is REALLY out of reach for most people without insurance. It should not cost that much to get help getting off drugs. I was appalled and really pissed off. I met all the men in his group, many were struggling financially and most did not have insurance.

Not good. My biggest stress and my biggest failure.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 12:29 pm • # 133 
Editorialist

mpicky wrote:
macroscopic wrote:
mpicky wrote:

Not good. My biggest stress and my biggest failure.

i am sorry i asked. my condolences, and best wishes.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 12:30 pm • # 134 
Don't be sorry. Thanks.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 12:32 pm • # 135 
Editorialist

mpicky wrote:
macroscopic wrote:
mpicky wrote:

No, I feel like we have had the discussion before.

likely. but i didn't remember how similar our positions were on this issue (and other consensual crime issues).

PostPosted: 01/17/13 2:48 pm • # 136 
Chaos333 wrote:
But doing something that will accomplish nothing for the sake of saying you did something is worse than doing nothing

And you know for sure that it will "accomplish nothing"? How?
It's 50/50 that it will or won't accomplish anything worthwhile.
So how is 50/50 "worse than doing nothing"?

How do you get to 50/50? I don't see it as 5/95. I don't see it changing anything at all. So we are making MORE regulations that will achieve nothing, imo. To date not a soul has been able to tell me how any new regs would have prevented SH or any of the other shootings short of confiscating every weapon in the country.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 2:52 pm • # 137 
Of course the charity programs are full. That is not going to get better. Budget cuts generally go for social programs first inclusive of drug/alcohol treatments.

Don't agree with you on the consensual crime issues. Babies and families of the addicts did't consent and are amongst the wreckage. Huge societal cost.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 3:06 pm • # 138 
Editorialist

the monster wrote:
Chaos333 wrote:
But doing something that will accomplish nothing for the sake of saying you did something is worse than doing nothing

And you know for sure that it will "accomplish nothing"? How?
It's 50/50 that it will or won't accomplish anything worthwhile.
So how is 50/50 "worse than doing nothing"?

How do you get to 50/50? I don't see it as 5/95. I don't see it changing anything at all. So we are making MORE regulations that will achieve nothing, imo. To date not a soul has been able to tell me how any new regs would have prevented SH or any of the other shootings short of confiscating every weapon in the country.

1) Nobody can predict the future, but just out of curiosity, what solid evidence do you have that the proposed changes "won't change anything" at all?
2) Nobody can "prove" that a shooting WAS prevented in the past, no matter what laws were in place, because nothing took place.

We can kick around a thousand "what ifs" about Sandy Hook. What if his mom didn't own any guns? What if she owned just as many but kept them locked up? What if he'd had to stop and reload a few times? It's meaningless.

But change any of the variables, and the possible outcome changes as well. Doing nothing changes nothing. I'm willing to take a chance on change.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 3:20 pm • # 139 
kathyk1024 wrote:
Of course the charity programs are full. That is not going to get better. Budget cuts generally go for social programs first inclusive of drug/alcohol treatments.

Don't agree with you on the consensual crime issues. Babies and families of the addicts did't consent and are amongst the wreckage. Huge societal cost.

Families of those addicted to LEGAL vices are no less affected.

I don't need anyone to play moral righteousness with what I can do with my own body. Social costs?

Last edited by mpicky on 01/17/13 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 3:21 pm • # 140 
Editorialist

kathyk1024 wrote:

no different with legal drugs. in fact, much much worse. people will make bad choices, no matter what the legal status of those choices.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 3:31 pm • # 141 
macroscopic wrote:
kathyk1024 wrote:

no different with legal drugs. in fact, much much worse. people will make bad choices, no matter what the legal status of those choices.

Alcoholism is the worst, if you ask me. And it is legal as can be. Our SoH is a noted imbiber.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 3:32 pm • # 142 
Moral righteousness?! However you want to frame it, but that's part of my job. Baby born addicted to drugs and I am mandated to call DYFS.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 3:33 pm • # 143 
What is SoH? And of course alcohol in excess is destructive.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 3:39 pm • # 144 
Administrator

kathyk1024 wrote:
What is SoH? And of course alcohol in excess is destructive.

What's DYFS? ;)

PostPosted: 01/17/13 3:41 pm • # 145 
They will change a lot. None of it positive. The question should be, before creating a new law or regulation, what positive effect will it have. I don't see any of the changes proposed as far as those needing congressional approval as having any positive effect on the situation.

I also find it rather disturbing how the govt is able to come up with a 'solution' to the gun violence in this country a month after the SH shooting, but the govt can't come up with a 'solution' to all of the other issues that have plagued this country. I think the govt is rushing on this just as we did in invading afghanistan and Iraq. Knee jerk reactions with no real viable solution.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 3:41 pm • # 146 
I am thinking the Speaker of the House is SoH and Orange Man looks like a drunk.

Department of Youth and Family Services

Last edited by kathyk1024 on 01/17/13 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 3:43 pm • # 147 
the monster wrote:
They will change a lot. None of it positive. The question should be, before creating a new law or regulation, what positive effect will it have. I don't see any of the changes proposed as far as those needing congressional approval as having any positive effect on the situation.

I also find it rather disturbing how the govt is able to come up with a 'solution' to the gun violence in this country a month after the SH shooting, but the govt can't come up with a 'solution' to all of the other issues that have plagued this country. I think the govt is rushing on this just as we did in invading afghanistan and Iraq. Knee jerk reactions with no real viable solution.

Did anyone say this is a "solution" as opposed to a first step?

PostPosted: 01/17/13 3:43 pm • # 148 
Editorialist

Alcoholism is the worst, if you ask me. And it is legal as can be.

Well, legal in the sense that it's highly regulated, but available to those of legal drinking age, in places that allow liquor to be sold. There are still "dry towns" too, that that's legal as well.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 3:46 pm • # 149 
Editorialist

the monster wrote:

So what negatives are there in these changes?
And it's not as if we had NO laws pertaining to guns before now and suddenly every gun law there is came about in the past month, so your concerns about the timing confuse me.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 3:47 pm • # 150 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
So, how is it that such idiots had an AK-47?

This is Amurrica! :lol

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next   Page 6 of 8   [ 189 posts ] New Topic Add Reply