It is currently 07/02/24 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 44 posts ]
PostPosted: 06/14/13 10:02 pm • # 26 
Editorialist

Say what you want about teacher's unions, but that would never ever happen here.

PostPosted: 06/15/13 8:58 am • # 27 
Editorialist

green apple tree wrote:
Say what you want about teacher's unions, but that would never ever happen here.

Can I really say what I want about teachers' unions :D :D :D

(....and just when I was about to agree with you, you had to throw in the part about how agreeing with you would mean agreeing with a teachers' union.)

PostPosted: 06/18/13 8:33 am • # 28 
Editorialist

A California Catholic school teacher fired for allegedly posing a safety risk because she was a victim of domestic violence has received a new job offer in a different city,

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/18/c ... e-husband/

PostPosted: 06/18/13 9:10 am • # 29 
I originally responded to the wrong post.

I am glad she got a job in a different venue.

PostPosted: 06/18/13 10:29 am • # 30 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
A California Catholic school teacher fired for allegedly posing a safety risk because she was a victim of domestic violence has received a new job offer in a different city,

That is outstanding.......especially if she leaves the POS hubby behind and he can't find and/or follow her.

PostPosted: 06/18/13 11:49 am • # 31 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:
Chaos333 wrote:

That is outstanding.......especially if she leaves the POS hubby behind and he can't find and/or follow her.

That's POS EX hubby. They divorced two years ago.

PostPosted: 06/18/13 2:31 pm • # 32 
Editorialist

That's even better news. Let's hope that she can get full custody and remain "hidden" from him. I wonder why he was at her house that weekend when she had to call the police multiple times? She had a TRO and should have called the police once she saw his face at her door.

This is just conjecture, but it sounds like to me that she is held hostage (for want of a better word) by the fact that he's the father of the children and she waffles on having him around...."for their sake". I know that happens a lot with abused spouses, especially if the abuse has been long term. The abuser knows how to manipulate emotions. JMO

I sincerely wish her well. Perhaps the firing was just the impetus she needed to get far away from the POS while he's in jail. It's a damn shame that she will probably need to hide to do that and even then it's not impossible for him to find her. Unfortunately, the police are not agressive enough with abusers until it's sometimes too late and someone is hospitalized or dead. :mad

PostPosted: 06/18/13 3:05 pm • # 33 
Editorialist

Go back and read post 25, there's much more detail. And it sure doesn't sound to me like someone who "waffles on having him around".

PostPosted: 06/18/13 9:31 pm • # 34 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:
That's even better news. Let's hope that she can get full custody and remain "hidden" from him. I wonder why he was at her house that weekend when she had to call the police multiple times? She had a TRO and should have called the police once she saw his face at her door.

This is just conjecture, but it sounds like to me that she is held hostage (for want of a better word) by the fact that he's the father of the children and she waffles on having him around...."for their sake". I know that happens a lot with abused spouses, especially if the abuse has been long term. The abuser knows how to manipulate emotions. JMO

I sincerely wish her well. Perhaps the firing was just the impetus she needed to get far away from the POS while he's in jail. It's a damn shame that she will probably need to hide to do that and even then it's not impossible for him to find her. Unfortunately, the police are not agressive enough with abusers until it's sometimes too late and someone is hospitalized or dead. :mad

Maybe he has visiting rights or even joint custody of the kids. If she "gets away from that POS" as you put it she might wind-up being the one in jail.

PostPosted: 06/19/13 5:54 am • # 35 
Editorialist

we can all speculate like crazy about how involved she is or should be with her ex husband, but the bottom line is WE DON'T KNOW. Neither does the school. Which is why they are DEAD WRONG in holding her and her children accountable for her ex husband's violence. There was one and only one person responsible for the scene at the school that day, and that was the guy who was violent. He should and did go to jail for the incident. There was no reason she should lose her job, and no reason the kids should lose their school.

PostPosted: 06/19/13 8:39 am • # 36 
I think the Catholic school and the parents paying tuition thought it was a risk to them and their children. No, the school didn't know and they didn't want to have to worry about knowing. There are loads of people in line for teaching jobs and they didn't want to worry about a teacher who is a potential problem.

Not the Christian thing to do, but it was their easiest choice.

PostPosted: 06/19/13 10:59 am • # 37 
Editorialist

Another soul lost to the damned protestants.

PostPosted: 06/21/13 7:58 am • # 38 
Administrator

I'm very pleased that Illinois is one of the 6 states ~ I see it as both a legal issue and a moral issue ~ Sooz

In All But Six States, You Can Be Fired For Being A Victim Of Domestic Violence
By Bryce Covert on Jun 20, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Last week, Carie Charlesworth, a teacher in California and a victim of domestic violence, was fired from her job because her abusive husband invaded the school parking lot and put the school on lockdown. While her abuser was sent to prison, she was also punished for his crime by losing her employment.

The school’s action -– firing her because she is a victim of domestic abuse –- is sadly legal in most states. Just six, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, New York, Oregon, and Rhode Island, have laws on the books that bar employment discrimination against victims of domestic abuse or sexual assault, according to an up-to-date document tracking these laws from Legal Momentum. State Senators in California introduced a non-discrimination bill in February, which has been referred to committee.

Illinois and Hawaii, as well as New York City and Westchester County, go further to mandate that employers offer victims reasonable accommodations so that they can stay at work: “things like allowing you to change your work telephone number or changing a shift so someone can’t stalk you and find you,” Michelle Caiola, a senior staff attorney at Legal Momentum, told ThinkProgress. Fourteen states protect victims who need to take time off of work to go to counseling, court, or seek medical attention due to their abuse.

For their part, the Bureau of Labor Statistics has found that only about 15 percent of employers have a workplace policy that specifically addresses domestic violence.

The laws are sparse, but the abuse at work is not. One study found that nearly three-quarters of abused women were harassed by their partner while at work. Homicide is a leading cause of workplace deaths for women, second only to roadway incidents.

But discrimination like the kind that Charlesworth experienced can lead victims to shy away from reporting. Of the 4 million workplace crimes committed against women from 1993-1990, less than half were reported to the police.

The loss of a job thanks to abuse can end up cutting off a lifeline to end that abuse. Three-quarters of women report staying with their abuser longer because of economic reasons. “We know that economic abuse is frequent in these situations, and abusers often try to get the victim fired in order to increase her financial dependency on him,” Kim Gandy, president and CEO of the National Network to End Domestic Violence, told ThinkProgress. By showing up at a partner’s workplace, in many states an abuser can put her job at risk, potentially driving her back into his arms.

Beyond the patchwork of state laws, “there is no real protection at the federal level for this,” Caiola said, although bills to provide employment protection are introduced “in every session.” In fact, the Security and Financial Empowerment Act was introduced in the house on March 15, which would bar employers from discriminating against domestic violence or sexual assault victims. The bill has been referred to committee and doesn’t have a vote scheduled.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/06/20/2190691/domestic-violence-employment-discrimination/

PostPosted: 06/29/13 6:45 am • # 39 
Administrator

Here's some follow-up ~ I'm glad California is being pro-active and hope other states follow ~ there are "live links" to more/corroborating information in the original ~ Sooz

California Advances Bill To Protect Domestic Violence Victims From Employment Discrimination
By Bryce Covert on Jun 28, 2013 at 2:30 pm

This week, a California State Assembly committee voted to approve a bill that would bar employment discrimination against victims of domestic violence as well as those who experience stalking or sexual assault. The judiciary committee passed it with a vote of 6-1 and it now heads to the Assembly Appropriations Committee. Governor Jerry Brown (D) has not yet taken a position.

Carie Charlesworth, a teacher in California who lost her job thanks to domestic violence, testified before the committee in favor of the bill. When Charlesworth’s abusive husband invaded the school parking lot and put the school on lockdown, he was sent to jail but she was also terminated.

In her testimony, Charlesworth explained why the fear of losing a job is particularly problematic for victims of abuse:

Quote:
Victims should not have to continue suffering in silence due to the fear they have of losing their jobs. Victims need to be able to speak up about what is happening so they can get the help they need to leave their abusive situation. The fear of losing their job – the way they can support themselves and their families after they leave an abuser — should not be a burden they have to carry.

California’s proposed bill would also require employers to make “reasonable efforts” to protect victims from their abusers or stalkers such as changing a work phone number, relocating a desk, or implementing a workplace safety plan.

Firing someone because they are a victim of domestic violence is not currently barred under California state law. In fact, just six states — Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, New York, Oregon, and Rhode Island — have laws that bar employment discrimination against victims of domestic abuse or sexual assault. Illinois and Hawaii, as well as New York City and Westchester County, also require employers to offer victims reasonable work accommodations.

Yet domestic abuse often spills over into the workplace. Nearly three-quarters of abused women reported being harassed by their partner while at work. The fear of losing a job can also compound the abuse, as three-quarters of women report staying with their abuser longer for economic reasons.

Given that the state-level protection is sparse, bills have frequently been introduced at the federal level but have yet to gain traction. The Security and Financial Empowerment Act, which would bar employers from discriminating against domestic violence or sexual assault victims, was introduced in the House on March 15. Yet it has been referred to committee and doesn’t have a vote scheduled.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/06/28/2232841/california-domestic-violence-employment/

PostPosted: 06/29/13 7:06 am • # 40 
Editorialist

Even if this passes in CA...would it apply to a Catholic (private) school?

PostPosted: 06/29/13 7:19 am • # 41 
Administrator

Chaos333 wrote:
Even if this passes in CA...would it apply to a Catholic (private) school?

Laws apply to all.

PostPosted: 06/29/13 7:31 am • # 42 
Administrator

Lots of laws are written with explicit exceptions ... typically excusing religion, oskar ~ as is usual, the devil is in the details ~ but it seems to me this in no way "compromises" religious belief ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 06/29/13 8:00 am • # 43 
Administrator

sooz06 wrote:
Lots of laws are written with explicit exceptions ... typically excusing religion, oskar ~ as is usual, the devil is in the details ~ but it seems to me this in no way "compromises" religious belief ~

Sooz

Catholic schools can't fire a teacher for being black, can they?

PostPosted: 06/29/13 10:10 am • # 44 
Editorialist

As far as I know Private schools can fire anybody, at any time, for any reason they want. We already know of Catholic schools that have fired teachers for being pregnant out of wedlock, or <gasp!> gay.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 44 posts ] New Topic Add Reply