It is currently 05/19/24 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
PostPosted: 08/23/12 3:25 pm • # 1 
Administrator

The is a very long and very fascinating read from the NYT Magazine ~ this had to be gut-wrenching journey for Jerrry DeWitt ~ Sooz

From Bible-Belt Pastor to Atheist Leader

By ROBERT F. WORTH
Published: August 22, 2012

Late one night in early May 2011, a preacher named Jerry DeWitt was lying in bed in DeRidder, La., when his phone rang. He picked it up and heard an anguished, familiar voice. It was Natosha Davis, a friend and parishioner in a church where DeWitt had preached for more than five years. Her brother had been in a bad motorcycle accident, she said, and he might not survive.

DeWitt knew what she wanted: for him to pray for her brother. It was the kind of call he had taken many times during his 25 years in the ministry. But now he found that the words would not come. He comforted her as best he could, but he couldn’t bring himself to invoke God’s help. Sensing her disappointment, he put the phone down and found himself sobbing. He was 41 and had spent almost his entire life in or near DeRidder, a small town in the heart of the Bible Belt. All he had ever wanted was to be a comfort and a support to the people he grew up with, but now a divide stood between him and them. He could no longer hide his disbelief. He walked into the bathroom and stared at himself in the mirror. “I remember thinking, Who on this planet has any idea what I’m going through?” DeWitt told me.

As his wife slept, he fumbled through the darkness for his laptop. After a few quick searches with the terms “pastor” and “atheist,” he discovered that a cottage industry of atheist outreach groups had grown up in the past few years. Within days, he joined an online network called the Clergy Project, created for clerics who no longer believe in God and want to communicate anonymously through a secure Web site.

DeWitt began e-mailing with dozens of fellow apostates every day and eventually joined another new network called Recovering From Religion, intended to help people extricate themselves from evangelical Christianity. Atheists, he discovered, were starting to reach out to one another not just in the urban North but also in states across the South and West, in the kinds of places­ DeWitt had spent much of his career as a traveling preacher. After a few months he took to the road again, this time as the newest of a new breed of celebrity, the atheist convert. They have their own apostles (Bertrand Russell, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens) and their own language, a glossary borrowed from Alcoholics Anonymous, the Bible and gay liberation (you always “come out” of the atheist closet).

DeWitt quickly repurposed his preacherly techniques, sharing his reverse-conversion story and his thoughts on “the five stages of disbelief” to packed crowds at “Freethinker” gatherings across the Bible Belt, in places like Little Rock and Houston. As his profile rose in the movement this spring, his Facebook and Twitter accounts began to fill with earnest requests for guidance from religious doubters in small towns across America. “It’s sort of a brand-new industry,” DeWitt told me. “There isn’t a lot of money in it, but there’s a lot of momentum.”

Read more at: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/magazine/from-bible-belt-pastor-to-atheist-leader.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all

PostPosted: 11/17/13 2:10 pm • # 2 
Administrator

A very interesting follow-up story ~ I don't understand this "atheist church" movement ~ maybe because I don't believe you need the church and/or religion belief set to be an empathetic, compassionate human being ~ Sooz

Atheist Ex-Pastor Jerry DeWitt’s Mission to Red America
By David Masciotra
November 17th 2013 6:45 am

Louisiana pastor Jerry DeWitt unexpectedly became an atheist celebrity when he lost his faith. But he decided to stay put and create a haven for secularists in his hostile hometown.

Last Sunday, several hundred atheists gathered in a Hollywood auditorium for the inaugural meeting of the Los Angeles Sunday Assembly, the latest blossoming of the atheist “church” movement slowly spreading across the country. Thanks to a fundraising tour by the British comedy duo who launched Sunday Assembly in the U.K., America is suddenly hearing about new “atheist megachurches” that have cropped up in several major cities.

But far away from the hype cycle of social media and the cultural freedom of metropolitan America, a former Louisiana pastor is struggling with a similar project deep in the small towns of the evangelical South. On June 23, Jerry DeWitt led the first service of the Community Mission Chapel in Lake Charles, Louisiana—a product of his own painful journey from beloved local pastor to abandoned outcast. His decision to stay in a hostile rural environment sets him apart from most other clergy members who embrace atheism—and from the burgeoning atheist church movement.

“Everyone else who did what I did left where they lived,” DeWitt said, referring to other Christian pastors he’s met who took public positions of atheism. “Someone had to stop that. Someone had to be the first not to move, so that the next person doesn’t have to move.”

DeWitt served as a pastor for two churches in DeRidder, Louisiana, but could not overcome the inescapable questions of doubt that haunted him after realizing there was no theological explanation or justification for the suffering of innocent people, the triumph of science over superstition, and the divisiveness of dogmatic doctrine. Reading the popular books of atheistic argumentation by Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins was like throwing gas on the fire of his internal transformation.

He quit preaching, took a job as a public buildings inspector, and expected to live a quiet life of community service and introspection. All of his plans crumbled when he traveled to a nearby gathering of skeptics, and an online photo of him with Dawkins outed DeWitt to his community in 2011. Several of his closest friends abandoned him, and many family members disowned him. He was immediately fired from his job at City Hall. His wife packed her bags and left him alone, unemployed, and fearing divorce and bankruptcy.

A few years later, DeWitt has filed for bankruptcy, found a new job as a continuing education instructor for architects and engineers, and he and his wife are attempting to reconcile. He’s published a book, Hope After Faith, and become a minor celebrity in the world of organized atheism. But by his own admission, DeWitt is different from other faces of atheism—he doesn’t have what he calls the “brute force” of the late Hitchens or the elite academic credentials of Dawkins. What he does have—a biographical means of understanding religious tradition and practice—makes him a perfect spokesperson for secularism in DeRidder and countless towns like it across the American South and heartland.

Citing overwhelming love for his mother, grandmother, stepfather, and developmentally disabled half-sister, and a “lifelong devotion” to his community, he takes pride in his insistence upon staying in a small town that does not look too kindly on heretics.

“If I won the lottery and could afford to live in Manhattan, no one would care, but here, I can have an effect,” DeWitt said. “Not to create more atheists, but to simply create a place that the secular can call home. I would never say that I am the answer for DeRidder, but for this community I know I am the question.”

DeWitt’s personal kindness and commitment to “helping DeRidder grow and prosper” doesn’t erase the hostility that much his community feels toward him. “The stressful new normalcy of my life is being in a constant state of preparation for confrontation wherever I go— the grocery store, in the city hall offices,” DeWitt explained, surprisingly, without resentment in his voice. “I’m the question for my community, because during every encounter my neighbors see that I am the same person. They see the same smile and, I hope, feel the same goodwill.”

Now focused on the Community Mission Chapel, DeWitt is finding that many atheists, particularly those who also grew up in churches with dynamic and dramatic speakers at the pulpit, have what he calls a “nostalgic need” to fill the void in their lives left by lack of church. DeWitt doesn’t like the word “church,” but admits he’s trying to replicate the “institutional care network” that the best churches provide.

“Friendships develop organically within secular organizations, and that’s great,” DeWitt said. “But churches make it people’s jobs just to make sure that congregants are healthy and happy. As pastor I would call people if they missed a meeting to make sure they were okay. I would console and counsel someone in trouble, and others in the church would find ways of helping.” Churches make caring for people “part of their everyday operation,” which is why leaving religion can be extremely painful and isolating.

It seems easy enough to emulate the finer qualities of churches, but the challenge might arise when attempting to guard against the institutional tendencies that often turn people away from churches: conformism, groupthink, demonization of dissenters. Given that DeWitt is a small media sensation with a significant quantity of charisma, I asked him how he would stop the Community Mission Chapel from becoming a personality cult.

“I don’t get paid by the chapel to do what I do,” he said, “and that allows me the freedom to be myself and just another member of the board.” Every service ends with a “rigorous” question and answer session in which congregants are encouraged to state disagreements with DeWitt’s message. The chapel will regularly feature guest speakers to prevent it from becoming a vehicle for DeWitt’s philosophical insights and motivational musings. It will also meet only once a month. “We don’t want this to become like many Christian churches in that it is all-consuming,” he said.

DeWitt took me step by step through a recent service at the Community Mission Chapel and demonstrated how without prayer and worship, a public meeting can enrich and edify the mind and, even, the spirit with equal power and depth as any religious ritual. “We don’t ridicule the religious,” he said. “If a believer attends, he might be offended by what is not said, but he’ll never be offended by what is said.”

The most recent service opened with the REM song “Everybody Hurts.” The song’s conclusion served as an introduction to a clip of Joseph Campell discussing the cultural, emotional, and psychological importance of rites of passage. In his message, DeWitt discussed the struggles people believe will kill them, but that they ultimately endure, and often use to emerge stronger than before. In a culture without official rites of passage, the personal tragedies and traumas that people suffer in their own lives serve the same purposes of maturation, development, and empowerment.

Having committed what he calls “identity suicide”, and now, at age 42, fighting through the process of “starting over,” struggle is an area where he can claim expertise.

DeWitt hopes that eventually his chapel will purchase its own facility—it currently operates out of a coffee shop’s venue for poetry readings and live music performances—and that “there won’t be one night people can drive by without seeing the lights on.”

“I hope the Community Mission will run food pantries, offer marital counseling, teach literacy classes for illiterate adults, and serve as a center of support for the elderly and the unemployed,” he said. “We want to give classes to help young parents adjust to their new roles of caring for children. We’re focused on the betterment of life for the entire community—not just the secular among us.”

The man who once had the ambition of becoming mayor of DeRidder, and who still hopes to “reestablish” himself with City Hall, is now engaged in the public service of reminding religious Americans that atheism can fit well into the American ideals of individuality, self-reliance, and the evasion of category in a quest for becoming fully and uncompromisingly human.

“What I represent is the fact that anyone in America can overcome their identity limitations and be truer to themselves.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/11/16/atheist-ex-pastor-jerry-dewitt-s-mission-to-red-america.html

PostPosted: 11/17/13 3:27 pm • # 3 
He says he quit preaching but obviously he didn't. Just says the same shit a different way. There is still his need for a church and congregation and ritual. He has that right but I think he is no different now than he always was. He has a great need to be accepted and not looked down on for his beliefs. He has a great need for support from the people. He needs reinforcement. A true atheist just is. I need no support or reinforcement. I don't give a shit what people think about my beliefs. I sure don't need to meet all the time wth a bunch of people to tell each other it's ok to not believe in god.

PostPosted: 11/17/13 4:14 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

grumpyauntjeanne wrote:
He says he quit preaching but obviously he didn't. Just says the same shit a different way. There is still his need for a church and congregation and ritual. He has that right but I think he is no different now than he always was. He has a great need to be accepted and not looked down on for his beliefs. He has a great need for support from the people. He needs reinforcement. A true atheist just is. I need no support or reinforcement. I don't give a shit what people think about my beliefs. I sure don't need to meet all the time wth a bunch of people to tell each other it's ok to not believe in god.

Amen! Preach it, sister. :b ;) :lol

PostPosted: 11/17/13 4:18 pm • # 5 
:happydance

PostPosted: 11/17/13 4:27 pm • # 6 
Administrator

How long before they ask for money for non-prayers to non-existant gods?

PostPosted: 11/17/13 5:02 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

I call it the "fanatic switch". Its quite common in sudden conversions, say from Communism to Catholicism. There's this kind of switch in your brain that flips from one particular belief system to another, but the mind-set stays exactly the same.

PostPosted: 11/17/13 5:13 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Kill a Christian for non-god, eh?

PostPosted: 11/17/13 5:31 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

I serendipitously found this today: :)

It is an insult to God to believe in God. For on the one hand it is to suppose that he has perpetrated acts of incalculable cruelty. On the other hand, it is to suppose that he has perversely given his human creatures an instrument -- their intellect -- which must inevitably lead them, if they are dispassionate and honest, to deny his existence. It is tempting to conclude that if he exists, it is the atheists and agnostics that he loves best, among those with any pretensions to education. For they are the ones who have taken him most seriously. -Galen Strawson, philosopher (b. 1952)

PostPosted: 11/18/13 10:40 am • # 10 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
How long before they ask for money for non-prayers to non-existant gods?

It will be no time before there's an annual "War on Happy Holidays".

PostPosted: 11/18/13 11:06 am • # 11 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
I serendipitously found this today: :)

It is an insult to God to believe in God. For on the one hand it is to suppose that he has perpetrated acts of incalculable cruelty. On the other hand, it is to suppose that he has perversely given his human creatures an instrument -- their intellect -- which must inevitably lead them, if they are dispassionate and honest, to deny his existence. It is tempting to conclude that if he exists, it is the atheists and agnostics that he loves best, among those with any pretensions to education. For they are the ones who have taken him most seriously. -Galen Strawson, philosopher (b. 1952)

Terrific quote, roseanne ~ but I'm willing to bet that the people who most need to read it won't understand it ~ :ey

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply