It is currently 05/18/24 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
PostPosted: 01/02/13 9:32 am • # 1 
Administrator

I don't see indefinite suspension as being the answer ~ there are definitely "free speech" and "privacy" issues here ~ the BIG question for me is whether this is, as claimed, simply exploration of ideas or a warning sign of some hidden emotional issues ~ :g ~ Sooz

Wednesday, Jan 2, 2013 06:50 AM CST
High schooler suspended for poem on understanding Adam Lanza
17-year-old taken out of school when teacher saw her notebook with poem on Newtown VIDEO
By Natasha Lennard

A 17-year-old high school student in San Francisco has been suspended indefinitely after she wrote a poem in her personal notebook which included the lines, “I understand the killings in Connecticut; I understand why he pulled the trigger.”

A teacher at the Life Learning Academy found Courtni Webb’s notebook and reported the poem to the principal who suspended the student. The school district is now deciding whether and when Webb can return to the small vocational school. Webb and her mother have reached out to the media to decry the school’s actions.

They told NBC’s Today that Webb was simply expressing herself and exploring ideas about helplessness and darkness that she believed were behind the Newtown massacre. “Never in my life have I heard that you couldn’t mention a tragedy that happened. I didn’t say that I agree with it, I said I simply understand it” Webb told Today, noting that the she felt the school was making her look like “a monster.” Her mother said that she believes her daughter’s free speech is being violated.

Via NBC: [Sooz comment: clip accessible via the end link]

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/02/high_schooler_suspended_for_poem_on_understanding_adam_lanza/

PostPosted: 01/02/13 9:36 am • # 2 
Editorialist

If she understands why Lanza did it, she's the first.

But teenage musings on paper that don't include any direct threats are no reason for a suspension. That's just outrageous.

PostPosted: 01/02/13 7:32 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

Chaos333 wrote:
If she understands why Lanza did it, she's the first.

But teenage musings on paper that don't include any direct threats are no reason for a suspension. That's just outrageous.

It is, unless she repeated the Newtown experience, in which case people would be saying "you saw the poem. Why didn't you do something about it?" School officials are in an impossible position right now. They don't dare not act in case they are wrong but they will be accused of being wrong if they do act. I agree that suspension in this case is a bit of a stretch but, while emotions are this raw, I think we are going to have to cut schools a bit of slack.

At the same time, while I understand why the school is reacting the way it is, the girl and her mother are making the right moves in going public. Not bringing these things into the open is how rights and freedoms are lost. Wouldn't it have been nice if more people had had the guts to question government reaction following 9/11? We are all a little less free because we didn't seek restraint.

PostPosted: 01/03/13 7:20 am • # 4 
Seems a bit extreme. Wonder why they didn't just ask the girl why she wrote and said what she did. Some people are so quick to just over react.

PostPosted: 01/03/13 7:50 am • # 5 
Administrator

In our "modern" pedagogy, as imposed by school boards (not the teachers), students are only permitted to parrot the "official" political correctness.

PostPosted: 01/03/13 9:09 am • # 6 
Editorialist

people would be saying "you saw the poem. Why didn't you do something about it?"

"Do something" should mean more than just kick her out of school and think you've "done something". I would think a chat with a guidance counselor to gauge her state of mind and letting her mom know about this would be more than enough.

PostPosted: 01/03/13 4:09 pm • # 7 
The school officials need to get a grip--and quit with the hysteria.

PostPosted: 01/03/13 4:26 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Cannalee2 wrote:
The school officials need to get a grip--and quit with the hysteria.

No shyte.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply