It is currently 05/21/24 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 24 posts ]
PostPosted: 01/02/13 7:22 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Key word: "RUMORS" ~ personally, I don't think he'll resign by choice ~ but I do think he could easily not be reelected Speaker on the first vote ~ you'll see below that that has not happened in decades ~ Sooz

Rumors That John Boehner Will Resign As Speaker (VIDEO)
2013/01/02
By Wendy Gittleson

In the eyes of many, Tuesday night was not a banner night for the Speaker of the House. As John Boehner’s giant gavel became dwarfed by the art of compromise, his Tea Party following rebelled. The writing has been on the wall for the divisive and ineffective leader for a while, but his vote for the fiscal cliff deal that raised taxes on those who make above $400,000 ($450K for couples) was too much for the Tea Party and Boehner’s corporate constituency to take. It’s no surprise that there are rumors that the troubled leader will resign his post. In fact, a spokesperson for the conservative group, American Majority Action says it will happen tonight.

Here’s the video: [Sooz comment: video is accessible via the end link]

It’s hardly astonishing that American Majority Action would be prodding Boehner to resign. Since losing the Presidential election, the conservative PAC has had a laser focus on the Speaker’s seat.

While few Democrats would shed tears over the loss of the chief crier, his potential replacement will almost undoubtedly be House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA), who has been rumored to have been staging a coup for quite some time, albeit quietly. Cantor is quiet no more. His latest rebellion is public and widely recognized. When he refused to get in line with the Speaker on the fiscal cliff vote, the gloves came off. In fact, House Republicans voted almost 2-1 against Boehner and with Cantor. Cantor is a Tea Party favorite and were he elected to the position of deciding what bills are up for a vote, voters could expect even more obstructionism.

Whether or not Boehner resigns, his signature petulance will apparently live on. From turning down Presidential invitations to State Dinners to refusing to fly on Air Force One with Obama, he has proven himself to be anything but diplomatic. On Wednesday, he expressed even more disdain for the Commander-in-Chief as he said he is through with one-on-one talks with the President.

Perhaps if Boehner were willing to work with either side of the aisle, people from both sides of the aisle wouldn’t be demanding his resignation. Even if he doesn’t resign, it takes only 17 House members to block a vote, which will take place on Thursday. At least 20 have committed themselves to block it.

Even that would be temporary. Ultimately, a Speaker of the House would need to be voted on by a majority of the entire chamber. They will simply continue to vote until they have a majority. NBC reports that it’s unlikely any other candidates will garner enough votes to unseat the Boehner. The record number of ballots was in 1923. There were nine before Frederick Gillett (R-MA) was reelected.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/01/02/rumors-that-john-boehner-will-resign-as-speaker-video/

PostPosted: 01/02/13 7:41 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

If the Speaker of the House is voted on by both parties, maybe it would benefit the Tea Party to recruit and throw their support behind one of the conservative leaning Democrats. Wouldn't that make for an interesting time?

PostPosted: 01/02/13 7:45 pm • # 3 
I heard he announced he would no longer negotiate with Obama. Nice.

PostPosted: 01/02/13 7:49 pm • # 4 
Administrator

So the decision has been made for him.

PostPosted: 01/02/13 10:40 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

mpicky wrote:

what does that even mean?

PostPosted: 01/03/13 7:00 am • # 6 
If Cantor were to replace him, I can't see that would be any better. Cantor's ego is far bigger than Boehner's is and I think Cantor is more ruthless.

PostPosted: 01/03/13 7:10 am • # 7 
Administrator

That could be the GOPs death warrant... at least temporarily.

PostPosted: 01/03/13 9:05 am • # 8 
macroscopic wrote:
mpicky wrote:

He and Obama have had private meetings trying to find common ground and compromise. He is saying he will no longer do that.

PostPosted: 01/03/13 9:26 am • # 9 
Someone mentioned on TV the other day that Boehner is mad because Obama goes to the people now and tells us whats going on and Boehner doesn't like that.

PostPosted: 01/03/13 9:28 am • # 10 
Administrator

mpicky wrote:
macroscopic wrote:
mpicky wrote:

He and Obama have had private meetings trying to find common ground and compromise. He is saying he will no longer do that.

Even worse, MP, is that Boehner also said he will "focus on listening to his caucus" ~ I can't decide if that's a desperate effort to keep the gavel or if that's a warning ~ :ey

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/03/13 9:44 am • # 11 

Boehner didn't have a good day yesterday. (And I was enjoying every minute of it!)

Chris Christie called his decision to yank Hurricane Sandy funds "disgusting."

PostPosted: 01/03/13 1:14 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

Dee wrote:
If Cantor were to replace him, I can't see that would be any better. Cantor's ego is far bigger than Boehner's is and I think Cantor is more ruthless.

just a firmer target to stand against, imo. but i might live to regret saying that.

PostPosted: 01/03/13 1:16 pm • # 13 
Well Boehner had a good day today. He was reelected Speaker of the House.

PostPosted: 01/03/13 1:19 pm • # 14 
Editorialist

kathyk1024 wrote:
Well Boehner had a good day today. He was reelected Speaker of the House.

that was a fairly predictable outcome. and it probably means he is not quitting.

PostPosted: 01/03/13 4:21 pm • # 15 
SciFiGuy wrote:
Boehner didn't have a good day yesterday. (And I was enjoying every minute of it!)

Chris Christie called his decision to yank Hurricane Sandy funds "disgusting."

The repugs didn't appreciate Christie's praise of Obama a while back....

PostPosted: 01/03/13 4:26 pm • # 16 
Administrator

Keep right on digging your hole, guys.

PostPosted: 01/04/13 9:35 am • # 17 
Apparently he did not win on the 1st vote and there was a haphazard attempt to oust him.

PostPosted: 01/04/13 9:38 am • # 18 
Administrator

mpicky wrote:
Apparently he did not win on the 1st vote and there was a haphazard attempt to oust him.

Haphazard doings at the GOP?
Say it ain't so. ;)

PostPosted: 01/04/13 9:44 am • # 19 
Administrator

MP, where did you read "... he did not win on the 1st vote"? ~ I haven't seen that anywhere ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/04/13 10:53 am • # 20 
Administrator

This says Boner won on the first ballott.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/03/boehn ... ning-vote/

PostPosted: 01/04/13 3:24 pm • # 21 
sooz06 wrote:
MP, where did you read "... he did not win on the 1st vote"? ~ I haven't seen that anywhere ~

Sooz

Rachel Maddow. I'll find a link.

PostPosted: 01/04/13 3:27 pm • # 22 
Okay, I can't find it and all I see is that 9 voted against him, which would mean I read something wrong.

PostPosted: 01/04/13 5:37 pm • # 23 
Administrator

The most astounding thing is that Allen West got two votes. I repeat: TWO VOTES!
There are actually two people in the House who consider this nutjob worthy of Speaker of the House. Absolutely astounding.

PostPosted: 01/04/13 10:16 pm • # 24 
Editorialist

jabra2 wrote:
The most astounding thing is that Allen West got two votes. I repeat: TWO VOTES!
There are actually two people in the House who consider this nutjob worthy of Speaker of the House. Absolutely astounding.

my favorite footnote on the 2012 elections:

Allen West lost
Alan Grayson won

that should tell you everything you need to know.

Page 1 of 1   [ 24 posts ] New Topic Add Reply