It is currently 04/28/24 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
PostPosted: 01/03/13 7:06 pm • # 1 
Administrator

While I don't really doubt it's possible if fueled by raw fury, I've never heard/read of any death or serious injury by a credit card slashing a throat ~ Sooz

Credit Cards Are Just As ‘Deadly’ As Firearms, Opponent Of Gun Control Claims
By Adam Peck on Jan 3, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Republicans in the New Hampshire House of Representatives are fuming after Democrats passed a bill to ban lawmakers from carrying concealed weapons into the chamber, and are arguing that items like pens and credit cards could be considered deadly as well.

For decades state law forbid guns from entering the state house, but when Republicans took control of the house in 2010, they were quick to lift the ban. On the first say of the new legislative session, the Democratic majority that swept back into power last November quickly passed a similar ban again.

Republicans attacked the new ban as an encroachment of their Second Amendment rights, but according to the Concord-Monitor also sought to derail the bill by warning of a slippery slope:

“A holstered gun is not a deadly weapon. . . . But anything can be used as a deadly weapon. A credit card can be used to cut somebody’s throat,” said Rep. Dan Dumaine, an Auburn Republican.

New Hampshire Republicans argued that access to guns on the house floor is really a safety measure in the event that a shooter were to ever enter the chambers, but a Mother Jones investigation of mass shootings found that in “not a single case was the killing stopped by a civilian using a gun.”

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/01/03/1392381/credit-cards-are-just-as-deadly-as-firearms-opponent-of-gun-control-claims/

PostPosted: 01/03/13 8:58 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

Let me know when Ruger makes an dispenser that can shoot 3 sharp Mastercards per second out of a 30-card clip at 1500 feet per second.

PostPosted: 01/03/13 10:04 pm • # 3 
... with a 1,000 yard range.

PostPosted: 01/03/13 10:48 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

not a single case of cutting someone's throat with a credit card, either.

PostPosted: 01/04/13 12:13 am • # 5 
Editorialist

macroscopic wrote:
not a single case of cutting someone's throat with a credit card, either.

I seem to remember James Bond doing it in one of the movies. Of course, "Q" had probably doctored it a bit.

PostPosted: 01/04/13 7:01 am • # 6 
Administrator

I looked in my wallet and realized I'm armed to the teeth. Holy shit!

PostPosted: 01/04/13 11:14 am • # 7 
Editorialist

Well if credit cards and pens are equally deadly, and allowed on the House floor, then problem solved!

PostPosted: 01/06/13 9:30 am • # 8 
Administrator

No matter a problem's severity, we can always count on Louie Gohmert for comic relief ~ :g ~ Sooz

Republican Congressman Claims Hammers Could Be Outlawed Under Assault Weapons Ban
By Scott Keyes on Jan 4, 2013 at 2:16 pm

A Republican congressman lambasted the push for gun control in the wake of the Sandy Hook massacre, stating on Friday that if lawmakers wanted to ban assault weapons, they would have to outlaw “hammers” and “machetes” as well.

Appearing on the Dennis Miller Show, Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) told guest host Larry O’Connor that he “refuse[s] to play the game of ‘assault weapon.’ That’s any weapon,” said the Texas congressman. “It’s a hammer. It’s the machetes.”

Quote:
O’CONNOR: I want to ask you a question about one of your colleagues, Rep. Peter King in New York. He’s a very passionate guy, a great defender, he’s a great patriot. But he’s on board with this assault weapons ban. He was actually on MSNBC yesterday, openly saying, “I don’t understand why anybody would need an assault weapon.” I personally get nervous whenever a politician is asking me as a citizen why I need my right, but can you answer that question for your colleague? He might need some help here. Why would anyone need an assault weapon as they’re defining it?

GOHMERT: I refuse to play the game of “assault weapon.” That’s any weapon. It’s a hammer. It’s the machetes. In Rwanda that killed 800,000 people, an article that came out this week, the massive number that are killed with hammers.

Listen to it: [Sooz comment: audio clip accessible via end link]

According to the FBI, in 2010, there were 8,775 people who were murdered with guns, compared to 540 people who were killed with blunt objects, a small minority of which were people armed with hammers. The exponentially-higher number of people killed by guns also includes many innocent people killed by indiscriminate gunfire, such as drive-by shootings. After all, there are no “drive-by hammerings.”

Still, hammers are not the only “weapon” that conservatives are equating with firearms in an attempt to undermine any gun control legislation. A state representative in New Hampshire, warned of another deadly weapon: credit cards. “Anything can be used as a deadly weapon, said Rep. Dan Dumaine (R). “A credit card can be used to cut somebody’s throat.”

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/01/04/1399921/louie-gohmert-hammers/

PostPosted: 01/06/13 9:45 am • # 9 
Administrator

As stated elsewhere, "too many loonies".

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply