It is currently 05/18/24 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 31 posts ]

Do you plan to watch (or record for watching later) the Inauguration?
I plan to watch most or all of the Inauguration. 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
I plan to watch only a little bit of the Inauguration. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
I plan to watch just recaps of the Inauguration on the news. 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
My primary interest is to see what Michelle Obama will be wearing. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't plan to watch any of the Inauguration. 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
Who's getting inaugurated? 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post subject: Re: The Inauguration
PostPosted: 01/22/13 7:15 pm • # 26 
I watched the speech at the provided link and I have to say it: America is so damned lucky they dodged a bullet and have Barak Hussein Obama as their president. I really wish we had someone like that here.

PostPosted: 01/22/13 10:06 pm • # 27 
Editorialist

he is a very fine president, imo. best we have had in many many years.

PostPosted: 01/23/13 5:30 pm • # 28 
Editorialist

I was working and didn't watch any of the inauguration but have seen a few pictures. I think a little pomp, circumstance and showmanship is a good thing for a country especially since politics is such a dirty business. It lends some class to the process. We've got the Queen and the Royal family for the role. You've got Beyonce.

As for this inauguration....is it sexist to say Michelle is even more beautiful now than she was four years ago?

PostPosted: 01/23/13 5:33 pm • # 29 
Administrator

is it sexist to say Michelle is even more beautiful now than she was four years ago?

No.

PostPosted: 01/23/13 7:27 pm • # 30 
Editorialist

what's wrong with sexy?

PostPosted: 01/27/13 12:48 pm • # 31 
So, I've learned who the "Designated Survivor" was [the member of the Cabinet who stayed away from President Obama's inauguration in the event the unthinkable happened].

It was Eric Shinseki, Secretary of U.S. Veterans Affairs.

Image Daily Telegraph - Tuesday, January 22, 2013

US Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki kept away from inauguration as precaution

Quote:
US Veterans Affairs Eric Shinseki did not attend Barack Obama's inauguration as a precaution against catastrophe. Picture: AFP Source: AFP

US VETERANS Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki stayed away from President Barack Obama's second inauguration as a standard precaution in case of a catastrophe.

Under a tradition dating back to the Cold War, one member of the cabinet remains at a separate, secure location whenever the full US leadership is in one place, allowing succession in case of an attack or other crisis.

A White House official said Mr Shinseki was the designated survivor at Mr Obama's inaugural ceremony at the US Capitol, which brought together the rest of the cabinet, as well as the top ranks of Congress and the judiciary.

Mr Shinseki was the first Asian American to become a four-star general. He later served as army chief of staff, where he clashed with former president George W. Bush's administration through his prescient prediction that the Iraq invasion would require more troops than planned.

At Mr Obama's first inauguration in 2009, the designated successor was then defence secretary Robert Gates, who stayed in the cabinet at the new president's request after serving in the Bush administration.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 31 posts ] New Topic Add Reply