It is currently 05/05/24 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 23 posts ]
 Post subject: Steubenville
PostPosted: 03/19/13 8:17 am • # 1 
Administrator

Over the past few days, I've saved [and will post here] several articles that prove beyond any doubt that the Steubenville rape case is far from over ~ yes, the teen victim was drunk ~ yes, the two teenage "football heroes" have been convicted [in juvenile court] ~ but the nightmare afthermath continues ~ CNN [CNN!] did a reprehensible report bemoaning the effect of the conviction on the boys' future ~ other media outlets followed, including Fox being the first outlet to release the under-aged victim's name ~ the hs football coach will likely be indicted, a la Joe Paterno ~ two teen girls have been arrested for sending threatening messages to the victim ~ this is a textbook case of how many interconnected lives can and often are ruined via rape ~

Sooz

Post subject: Re: Steubenville
PostPosted: 03/19/13 8:31 am • # 2 
Administrator

What convicted the boys was their own teen-mindset bravado via "social media" ~ Sooz

AlterNet / By Kristen Gwynne
"LOL, She Couldn't Even Move" Awful Texts Revealed at Steubenville Rape Trial
The alleged victim had no memory her assault, but the defense says that doesn't matter.

March 15, 2013 | On the second day of the Steubenville, Ohio rape trial, thousands of messages from seventeen confiscated phones helped to piece together the disturbing evening when a sixteen-year-old Jane Doe was allegedly raped by local football stars Trent Mays, 17, and Ma’Lik Richmond, 16. Now, the court will begin to piece together the events of the night the same way the victim learned what happened to her: From the gossip and pictures sent around town via text messages and social media.

"It was an extraordinary level of evidence and detail," Katie Hanna of the Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Assault said of Wednesday’s testimony, "I've never heard of anything like it."

The prosecution alleges that, at a football party last summer, the West Virginia girl who multiple witnesses have described as incapacitated to the point of incoherence and unconsciousness lay shirtless on a yard, vomiting, while a group of guys offered $3 to piss on her. Next, she was allegedly sexually assaulted multiple times, ranging from digital penetration to attempted oral rape. Photographs taken during the assault, as well as a video in which a witness described the “dead girl” as “so raped,” were distributed throughout the town.

As Jane Doe tried to learn what happened to her, the boys shared their alleged sexual assault with each other through texts and e-mails.

“Hey buddy...you want to send me that pic because you love me?” one boy texted Mays, while Jane's Doe friend commented about the same photo, "If that is [semen] on you that is [expletive] crazy.”

"I hate my life....I don't even know what the [expletive] happened to me,” the victim texted, along with, "Wait I think I was drugged. I have no memory from after I left ... I swear to God I don't remember doing anything with them. I remember hearing Trent's voice telling me to do something, but I said no," and "I wasn't being a slut. They were taking advantage of me.”

The defense will hinge not on whether the alleged victim consented, but whether Trent and Mays knew she was too incapacitated to do so. Arguably, the trial will come down to whether Jane Doe is seen as a victim.

It is abundantly clear, however, that the alleged victim had no memory of what happened to her, and therefore could not have possibly consented.

"OK, tell me right now what the [expletive] happened last night and don't lie to me," she wrote to Mays. "We need to talk about this right now."

"And don't lie about anything. I need to know the truth. People keep asking. Idk (I don't know) what to say.”

Mays told her ‘nothing happened,’ but that she performed a “sex act” on him and “that’s it.”

Later, he texted a friend, "I'm pissed all I got was a hand job, though. I should have raped since everyone thinks I did."

"Why the f--- would you let that happen. Seriously, you have no f---ing respect. People are telling me so much s--t, why the f--- would you take my clothes off in front of everyone. You shouldn't have let that happen," she wrote.

When one friend called Mays “a felon” and warned him not to send photos around, he responded “not really.” Nonetheless, Mays replied to friends asking how he could have had sex with "a dead girl" with "LOL, she couldn't even move."

Even after the case heated up and the gravity of the allegations became more clear, Mays didn't stop laughing. "Oh, LOL. Hello cops," he wrote to a friend who warned him to delete texts and photographs. Then, when a friend asked Mays what Reno Coach Saccoccia (who was rumored to have tried to shield the boys from trouble and criticized for hardly reprimanding them) said about the alleged rape, Mays texted “Nothing really...Going to stay in for awhile. LOL. And next time [someone is] into something, suspended for three games.”

"But I feel he took care of it for us," he wrote, "Like, he was joking about it, so I'm not worried."

He also said, "I got Reno. He took care of it and [expletive] ain't going to happen, even if they did take it to court."

http://www.alternet.org/lol-she-couldnt-even-move-awful-texts-revealed-steubenville-rape-trial?paging=off

PostPosted: 03/19/13 8:38 am • # 3 
Administrator

Here's the verdict ~ Sooz

Football players found guilty in Steubenville rape case
By Eric W. Dolan
Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:34 EDT

Two Steubenville high school football players accused of raping a 16-year-old girl have been found guilty by Ohio judge, according to multiple media reports.

Judge Thomas Lipps ruled Sunday that 17-year-old Trent Mays and 16-year-old Ma’lik Richmond were guilty of attacking the girl while she was unconscious. Both teens were tried as juveniles and the maximum term they can serve in prison will be until they turn 21.

The girl testified on Saturday that she woke up naked in August 2012 after attending a party and was not immediately aware of what had happened to her. She began to piece together what occurred after seeing pictures and videos from that night, which were posted online.

“They kept telling me I was a hassle and they took care of me,” she testified. “I thought I could trust him (Mays) until I saw the pictures and video.”

Text messages sent by Mays and Richmond during the incident joked that “she couldn’t even move” and “was like a dead body.”

“We’re hitting it for real,” Mays bragged to his friend.

The case gained national attention after hackers publicized details of the incident and claimed the crime was being covered up by the football-loving town. Steubenville officials denied “the football team runs the city” and handed the case over to a team of special investigators.

Watch video, uploaded to YouTube by the Associated Press, below:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/03/17/teens-found-guilty-in-steubenville-rape-case/

PostPosted: 03/19/13 8:45 am • # 4 
Administrator

More on the verdict ~ the comment I bolded/emphasized below is the first inkling I've seen that anyone's "team spirit" could possibly dismiss this assault ~ :angry ~ Sooz

Guilty Verdict Handed Down In Steubenville Rape Trial
By Tara Culp-Ressler on Mar 17, 2013 at 10:58 am

On Sunday morning, Judge Thomas Lipps delivered a verdict in the much-anticipated Steubenville rape trial, determining the two high school football players charged with raping a young girl at a party are guilty on all three counts against them.

Trent Mays and Ma’lik Richmond, both minors, will likely be sentenced to jail time until they reach the age of 21. They will also be required to register as sex offenders.

The Steubenville trial exploded in the national media after graphic videos surfaced of the alleged assault. Nonetheless, the boys’ lawyers argued that the 16-year-old girl — although she appeared to be unconscious in the footage — had actually given her consent because she “didn’t affirmatively say no.” The prosecutor, on the other hand, argued that the victim “was substantially impaired, and they treated her like a toy.”

The case was tried before a judge rather than a jury — and divided the small town of Steubenville, OH, as some of its estimated 20,000 residents sided with the football stars. After reviewing the evidence, however, the judge called the case “profane and ugly” and sentenced the defendants to a juvenile detention facility.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/03/17/1731831/guilty-verdict-steubenville/

PostPosted: 03/19/13 8:51 am • # 5 
Editorialist

The bottom line should be taught: If there is no consent, it is rape. Period.

There should be no gray areas. No excuses. If a person is drunk or drugged, they can't give consent. If a person is making out with someone, but doesn't want it to lead to intercourse, then "No" means "No". If a person is flirting or "teasing" sex is not a foregone conclusion. If someone takes another out on a date, pays for dinner and a movie, it's not payment for sex.

So many things that were once understood have now, for some reason, become a green light for intercourse.

Then there is the fact that, to many, sex is no big deal these days. So, sex without consent shouldn't be a big deal either.

Too bad these boys lives will be "ruined". So is the girl's.............
With the persistent "boys will be boys" mentality, her life will be ruined in so many more ways. Maybe a mistrust of men, a dysfunctional future sex life, and even a general mistrust of other people considering the threats.

PostPosted: 03/19/13 8:54 am • # 6 
Editorialist

Would any ONE of the people who are sympathetic to the boys be so if it was their own daughter or sister? If so, then they are miserable excuses for human beings/parents/siblings.

PostPosted: 03/19/13 8:59 am • # 7 
I have been following this since early on. A blogger posted tons of screen shots of the tweets, before Anonymous got involved. It was pretty surreal seeing all if it as it went down. Sadly, because of the tweets, I knew the girls name and twitter account.

This was a sad sad case. I posted a bit about it in the other rape thread. The boy who took the video in the car said he didn't know it was rape, that to him rape is "forced". we really NEED to turn the conversation. Women should HAVE to say NO, men should make SURE they have a YES.

One of the parties was at an assistant coach's house. How he is not charged with something is beyond me. But, we don't have a rape problem. We don't put boys that excel in sports in a different category than others. Nope, no problem here, just look the other way.

PostPosted: 03/19/13 9:01 am • # 8 
Administrator

The comment "... many mainstream media outlets became active participants in furthering victim-blaming rape culture" is a zinger for me ~ and proves how insidious the "victim-blaming rape culture" really is ~ :angry ~ FTR, while I deeply believe an "apology" is woefully inadequate, I did sign the change.org petition linked below ~ Sooz

How The Media Took Sides In The Steubenville Rape Case
By Annie-Rose Strasser and Tara Culp-Ressler on Mar 18, 2013 at 9:15 am

The media's coverage focused on the rapists' emotions, instead of the the victim's.
When the guilty verdict was announced in the Steubenville rape case on Sunday, journalists had to figure out how they would frame the story. Perhaps because of the lack of details about the unnamed 16-year-old “Jane Doe” victim, the collective media narrative became centered on her assailants.

Stories about the case relied far too heavily on the public details about the defendants, 17-year-old Trent Mays and 16-year-old Ma’lik Richmond, to set up a sympathetic portrayal of two bright young football stars whose lives have been ruined by the criminal justice system. By emphasizing the boys’ good grades and bright futures, as well as by describing the victim as “drunk” without clarifying that the defendants were also drinking, many mainstream media outlets became active participants in furthering victim-blaming rape culture:

1. CNN discusses how the boys were “promising students.” The cable channel came under fire on Sunday after focusing their coverage on the two defendants as “young men that had such promising futures, star football players, very good students” and emphasizing the emotional atmosphere in the courtroom when the boys were convicted and felt “their lives fall apart.” Anchor Candy Crowley even interviewed a legal expert about the lasting ramifications that being convicted of rape will have on the young, vulnerable boys — noting that registering as sex offenders will “haunt them for the rest of their lives.”

2. ABC News makes excuses for the rapist. ABC ran a profile of Ma’lik Richmond, one of the two assailants, leading up to the trial. Its portrayal was quite positive; it began with an array of excuses for Richmond’s behavior, including that “he was in a celebratory mood” the night of the assault, and talks extensively about Richmond’s promising football career. Another article opened by describing the criminal proceedings as “every parent’s nightmare and a cautionary tale for teenagers living in today’s digital world” — though the actual problem was the crime of rape, not that it was caught on video.

3. NBC News laments the boys’ “promising football careers.” Reporter Ron Allen opened up the NBC nightly news coverage of the Steubenville verdict by pointing out that the boys, “must now register as sex offenders.” It then went on to lament that “both boys had promising football careers, Mays the quarterback, Richmond the receiver, on the beloved high school team and dreams of college. In court their lawyers and parents plead with the judge not to impose a harsh sentence.”

Watch it: [Sooz comment: video accessible via the end link]

4. The Associated Press and USA Today stress that the victim was drunk. The first sentence of the AP’s story about the verdict identifies the victim as a “drunken 16-year-old girl,” and describes the defendants as “two members of the high school football team that is the pride of Steubenville.” The breaking news tweet did, too. Meanwhile, the first sentence of USA Today’s coverage also describes the victim as “drunken” and mentions that the assault took place at “an all-night party.”

5. Yahoo News says the victim has forced the town into an emotional situation. As the trial unfolded in the small town of Steubenville, OH, over the past several weeks, Yahoo News set up a clear narrative: The town is being torn apart from the pain over the fact that the boys might be punished, not from the outrage over the crime they committed. Yahoo’s story on the verdict was more of the same, describing the courtroom as “filled with sobbing and exhausting emotion” and the victim as “an intoxicated 16-year-old girl” in the first paragraph.

It’s worth noting that, since the two defendants could have been tried as adults, they received relatively lenient sentences. The two boys were each sentenced to at least one year in a juvenile detention facility and could remain imprisoned until they turn 21. “These are serious offenses,” the judge who handed down the verdict pointed out. “If they were convicted in an adult court of these charges, they would be spending many years in prison.”

Update: Change.org has launched a petition asking CNN to apologize for its Steubenville coverage.

Update: An earlier version of this story contained a video from CNN. That video has been removed, because it reveals the victim’s name.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/03/18/1732701/media-steubenville/

PostPosted: 03/19/13 9:12 am • # 9 
Administrator

The coach's behavior is equally scandalous, shameful, and indefensible ~ :tearhair ~ hopefully, he will get nailed as well ~ Sooz

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 03:48 PM CDT
Meet Reno Saccoccia: Steubenville’s head football coach
Evidence shows Saccoccia knew about the rape early on, but didn't report it. So why does he still have his job?
By Katie Mcdonough

Under Ohio state law, coaches are among the many school officials mandated to report crimes involving their students. And according to witness testimony and text messages introduced as evidence in the Steubenville rape trial, head football coach Reno Saccoccia knew about the rape of a 16-year-old girl by two of his players, but didn’t say a word about it to school administrators or local law enforcement.

So why does he still have a job?

Deadspin editor Barry Petchesky has a theory, and it’s that, much like Trent Mays and Ma’lik Richmond, “local legend” Saccoccia believed that his status as a local football celebrity put him above the law:

Reno Saccoccia is a local legend, in the way that 30-year coaches of football powerhouses in economically depressed Ohio Valley towns tend to be legends. He’s in the Ohio Coaches Hall of Fame. He’s won three state titles. When Saccoccia won his 300th game last year, a sellout crowd of more than 10,000 people packed Harding Stadium—christened “Reno Field” in 2007—and chanted “Reno, Reno, Reno” as he left the field.

He breakfasts regularly with the sheriff. His sister-in-law works in the county’s juvenile court, where he is licensed as a mediator. He “molds young boys into men.”

But text messages seized from Mays’ cellphone indicate that Saccoccia had seen the video in which another student “joked” that “Trent and Ma’lik raped someone” as soon as it was released.

The day after the incident, Mays texted a friend: “I got Reno. He took care of it and shit ain’t gonna happen, even if they did take it to court. Like he was joking about it so I’m not worried,” according to an agent with the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation, who testified in the rape case.

As Petchesky notes, “the players were convinced they were untouchable because they’d committed the rape on Saccoccia’s turf … They were right, for a while.” Adding, “If the Times hadn’t turned its eyes to Steubenville, and hacker groups not exposed the graphic evidence, it’s a legitimate question whether justice would have been done at all. Whether or not Saccoccia took a personal hand in protecting his players, the Steubenville reaction is a symptom of what happens in a football-mad small town run by a deified coach.”

Petchesky makes a crucial point, but it is important to add that this kind of coverup behavior isn’t limited to small towns with untouchable local celebrities — it’s a symptom of a culture that normalizes sexual assault on the regular, especially in high school and college settings.

But Saccoccia isn’t in the clear. While the trial against Mays and Richmond ended with a guilty verdict for both boys, Ohio state Attorney General Mike DeWine’s investigation into the parents, coaches and school officials who may have tried to hide the rape is ongoing.

It’s an investigation that DeWine hopes will show that ignoring sexual violence when it’s right in front of our faces isn’t a problem unique to small football towns, but an issue that cuts across all communities — yours and mine included.

http://www.salon.com/2013/03/18/meet_reno_saccoccia_steubenvilles_head_football_coach/

PostPosted: 03/19/13 9:26 am • # 10 
Administrator

FTR, I separated this from our "Can men be taught not to rape?" thread because we have specifics [vs theory] in this Steubenville case ~ and the specifics clearly expose the vast reach of this crime beyond the victim and rapist ~

Also, I have more articles to post but, honestly, I'm getting rabid all over again ~ please note that many of the articles I've posted have links to more/corroborating information in the originals ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 03/19/13 9:42 am • # 11 
The saddest part of this, I am sure this is not an isolated incident. Incidents like this happen at teen parties across America. If most of this was documented on social media, it would have been swept under the rug.

Kids do "hook up" today. It's their culture. I do think sex, drugs and alcohol are more free flowing than in our day. The getting drunk at the pre-party to go to the party stuff is common.

A lot of things bother me about this case. Where are her friends? The other girls at the party? No one seemed to be a decent person here.

mpicky - I think they knew it was rape. It was something easy for them to say, and they didn't care. Hideously sad and infuriating!!!!

PostPosted: 11/25/13 4:42 pm • # 12 
Administrator

Good news/bad news ~ I like Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine's thinking ~ the adults bear significant responsibility and liability in this ugly story ~ but I'm furious that the "head coach" is escaping any and all responsibility and liability ~ there are "live links" to more/corroborating info in the original ~ Sooz

Four Adults Charged With Helping Cover Up The Steubenville Rape Case
By Tara Culp-Ressler on November 25, 2013 at 12:08 pm

On Monday, Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine announced that the grand jury investigating the Steubenville rape case has charged four adults in the community for allegedly helping to cover up the crime that made national headlines last spring. That includes the school district’s superintendent, who is the only one to face felony charges.

The aftermath of the Steubenville rape case, which involved several high school football players assaulting an unconscious victim, has stretched on for months. After two teens were found guilty of rape in March, a grand jury was convened to investigate whether any adults knew about the assault and attempted to keep it quiet. The grand jury made its first arrest last month, jailing a Steubenville school official who was accused of tampering with evidence and obstructing justice.

In a news conference on Monday morning, DeWine explained that four additional adults are now facing similar charges. In addition to the superintendent, an elementary school principal, a wrestling coach, and a volunteer football coach were also charged — the first two for failing to report child abuse, and the last for facilitating the underage drinking and delinquency of a minor. The high school’s beloved head coach, who was accused of telling football players that he would protect the two rapists from any repercussions, is not facing any consequences from the grand jury.

DeWine told reporters that he doesn’t anticipate future charges in the case, although he cautioned that he can’t completely rule out that possibility. But he did indicate that he hopes the four new arrests will allow the community to feel a sense of closure.

“This community has suffered a great deal. I know they desperately need to be able to put this matter behind them. All of us, no matter where we live, owe it to each other to be better neighbors, classmates, friends, citizens. We must treat rape and sexual assault as the serious crime of violence that is,” DeWine noted. “When it’s investigated, everyone has an obligation to help find the truth — not hide the truth, not tamper with the truth, not obstruct the truth, and not destroy the truth.”

“It’s time to let Steubenville move on,” the attorney general concluded.

The Steubenville rape case sparked a national conversation about rape culture, victim blaming, abuse of power, and sports culture. That’s partly because images and videos of the assault were uploaded to social media, allowing people across the country to get a graphic glimpse into the crime. After the internet hacktivist group Anonymous got involved, the residents of the small Ohio town worried that the entire community had been unfairly depicted as rape apologists.

DeWine noted that the community had a “moral responsibility” to cooperate with the criminal investigation after the rape case came to light, and it’s unacceptable to fail to punish the adults who didn’t live up to that responsibility.

“How do you hold kids accountable if you don’t hold the adults accountable?” he pointed out.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/11/25/2990681/adults-steubenville-charges/

PostPosted: 11/25/13 6:27 pm • # 13 
Editorialist

What really kills me is that there were teens that were more responsible and reasonable about the rape than the judges. A boy in the original video, the one where the boy talks about her getting "so raped", was overheard saying "that's not funny. What if it was your sister?" He was one of the football players. So there is hope for this generation.

I also think there is a huge wave of classism involved in cases like this. If this kid had been a poor kid or a troubled loner (or god forbid, a person of colour), they would have strung him up. But, because they were "promising students", football players, and from so called "good" families, everyone is willing to forgive them just about anything until the wider public found out about it all.

people suck.

PostPosted: 12/05/13 12:05 pm • # 14 
Editorialist

http://www.upworthy.com/if-a-man-asks-w ... g=2&c=upw1

I'm not sure if the is the best place for this post. feel free to move it to a more suitable location if you want.

PostPosted: 12/06/13 9:49 am • # 15 
Editorialist

queenoftheuniverse wrote:
http://www.upworthy.com/if-a-man-asks-what-women-have-been-asking-for-centuries-will-men-finally-listen?g=2&c=upw1

I'm not sure if the is the best place for this post. feel free to move it to a more suitable location if you want.

More bull shit from the "all men are rapists" crowd. Since the occasional black commits rape, throw the word "Blacks" in wherever he says "Men" and see what the reaction is. Five will get you ten you won't give it the soft, glowing approbation you give this moron.

PostPosted: 12/06/13 9:55 am • # 16 
Editorialist

More bull shit from the "all men are rapists" crowd. Since the occasional black commits rape, throw the word "Blacks" in wherever he says "Men" and see what the reaction is. Five will get you ten you won't give it the soft, glowing approbation you give this moron.

Hmm. I didn't say anything about how I feel about the video. Nor did anyone else. You assume a lot.

PostPosted: 12/06/13 10:20 am • # 17 
Editorialist

Hmm. I didn't say anything about how I feel about the video. Nor did anyone else. You assume a lot.

Then why did you post it? Or do you agree with me?

PostPosted: 12/06/13 11:09 am • # 18 
jimwilliam wrote:

Then why did you post it? Or do you agree with me?

The other night in sociology class we were talking about women being the oppressed majority and a guy in the back of the room and said "It's not like this any more and material like in this text only promotes stereotypes."

Not sure that really belongs here or not, but I will babble somewhere near a point. When this case first came out I talked about it in my Social Work class. The human trafficking victim said, "These guys are going to jail for something the victim would have agreed to had she been conscious."

I said, but she wasn't conscious. The girl said. "And that was her fault,"

Older women in the class said the consciousness may have been her fault but the rape was the boys.

I think it's as offensive to promote all men as rapists as it is to blame her drunkenness. I would like to think the strong men/boys women/girls at the party would have stopped this.

PostPosted: 12/06/13 11:18 am • # 19 
Editorialist

Just so we are clear, I think the only ones responsible for the rape are the boys. Because some guys are rapists or take advantage of situations the girl could have been more careful about how drunk she got but that doesn't mean the rape was her fault any more than getting hit by a drunk driver is your fault if you walk along the side of the road.

PostPosted: 12/06/13 11:57 am • # 20 
Administrator

jim, I don't remember anyone here ever saying anything even close to "all men are rapists" ~ but in cases like Steubenville, it is clear [at least to me] that there is a pervasive mindset against victims of sexual assault ~ I also see publicizing cases like Steubenville as the surest way to expose that mindset for what it is ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/06/13 12:45 pm • # 21 
Editorialist

sooz06 wrote:
jim, I don't remember anyone here ever saying anything even close to "all men are rapists" ~ but in cases like Steubenville, it is clear [at least to me] that there is a pervasive mindset against victims of sexual assault ~ I also see publicizing cases like Steubenville as the surest way to expose that mindset for what it is ~

Sooz

Look at Queenie's video link to see where I'm coming from.

PostPosted: 12/06/13 1:29 pm • # 22 
Plus the whole teach men not to rape discussion implies that men have to be taught NOT to do it. I think we talked about Zerlina Maxwell's position on TV.

http://www.ebony.com/news-views/5-ways- ... qIjt2d3tes

2. Teach young men to see women’s humanity, instead of seeing them as sexual objects for male pleasure: There is a reason why women are shamed into silence and why teenage boys in Steubenville, Ohio are caught on camera laughing about gang raping an unconscious girl at a party. The dehumanization of women spans all areas of American life.

I tried to address this in sociology class and the objectification of women in music videos. It's rampant across the whole industry. I am pretty sure the students don't see it. They mostly replied that sex sells and if you don't like it don't watch it. "Blurred LInes" clearly says no isn't no.

OK now he was close, tried to domesticate you
But you're an animal, baby it's in your nature
Just let me liberate you
Hey, hey, hey
You don't need no papers
Hey, hey, hey
That man is not your maker

[Chorus: Robin Thicke]
And that's why I'm gon' take a good girl
I know you want it
I know you want it
I know you want it
You're a good girl
Can't let it get passed me
You're far from plastic
Talk about gettin blasted
I hate these blurred lines
I know you want it
I know you want it
I know you want it
But you're a good girl
The way you grab me
Must wanna get nasty
Go ahead, get at me

[Verse 2: Robin Thicke]
What do they make dreams for
When you got them jeans on
What do we need steam for
You the hottest bitch in this place
I feel so lucky
Hey, hey, hey
You wanna hug me
Hey, hey, hey
What rhymes with hug me?
Hey, hey, hey

[Pre-chorus: Robin Thicke]
OK now he was close, tried to domesticate you
But you're an animal, baby it's in your nature
Just let me liberate you
Hey, hey, hey
You don't need no papers
Hey, hey, hey
Than man is not your maker
Hey, hey, hey

And that's why I'm gon' take a good girl
I know you want it
I know you want it
I know you want it
You're a good girl
You're far from plastic
I know you want it
I hate them lines
I know you want it
I hate them lines
I know you want it
But you're a good girl
The way you grab me
Must wanna get nasty
Go ahead, get at me

[Verse 3: T.I.]
One thing I ask you
Let me be the one you back that ass into
Yo, from Malibu, to Paribu
Yeah, had a bitch, but she ain't bad as you
So hit me up when you passing through
I'll give you something big enough to tear your ass in two
Swag on, even when you dress casual
I mean it's almost unbearable
Then, honey you're not there when I'm
With my foresight bitch you pay me by
Nothing like your last guy, he too square for you
He don't smack that ass and pull your hair like that
So I jail watch, hand wave for you to salute
But you didn't pick
Not many women can refuse this pimpin'
I'm a nice guy but don't get it confused

[Bridge: Robin Thicke]
Shake the vibe, get down, get up
Do it like it hurt, like it hurt, does it hurt, does it hurt
What you don't like work

[Pre-chorus: Robin Thicke]
Baby can you breathe? I got this from Jamaica
It always works for me Dakota to Decatur, uh huh
No more pretending
Hey, hey, hey
Cause now you winning
Hey, hey, hey
Here's our beginning

I always wanted a good girl
I know you want it
I know you want it
I know you want it
You're a good girl
You're far from plastic
I know you want it
I know you want it
I know you want it
But you're a good girl
The way you grab me
Must wanna get nasty
Go ahead, get at me

Read more: Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines Lyrics | MetroLyrics

PostPosted: 12/06/13 2:23 pm • # 23 
Editorialist

I posted it to stimulate a conversation about perception and point of view. I don't think all men are rapists any more than I think the Muslims are right that all women should cover up and be accompanied by a male relative at all times. If you really want to know what I think of the video you would ask. Since you did, I'll tell you that overall I don't like it but one message I think was worthwhile is that we should examine our language and see if it reveals biases that we are not happy about, that are contrary to what we state as our position. Are we uncomfortable about anything that we say or enjoy that is contrary to our stated beliefs?

Page 1 of 1   [ 23 posts ] New Topic Add Reply