It is currently 07/05/24 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: The NRA Convention
PostPosted: 05/04/13 3:24 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Jeez, I'm sooooo sorry I'm missing this ~ :ey ~ Sooz

Bra Holsters, Pink Guns, And Other Products For Women Sold At The NRA Convention
By Scott Keyes and Zack Beauchamp posted from ThinkProgress Justice on May 4, 2013 at 4:45 pm

HOUSTON, TX — The National Rifle Association (NRA) is an overwhelmingly male organization. There’s a reason for that: women are all too familiar with the ways guns can make a dangerous situation worse. They tend to support gun violence prevention measures by over 20 points more than their male counterparts.

The NRA and its allies in the gun industry have realized that fifty percent of the population is a rather large market to leave untapped. Unfortunately, the most visible attempts to broaden the gun lobby’s appeal to women at the NRA convention this week haven’t been newly moderated policies, but stands that sell pink guns which can be strapped to a bra.

Choosy ladies choose bra holsters

Vendors also offered various rifles and clothing options for women in colors ranging from fuchsia to lavender:

His and hers assault rifles

Bumper stickers for sale

Walking throughout the exhibit hall, there were few booths focused on the threat women face of domestic violence. But there were plenty of pink gun accessories:

Items for sale at the "Packing in Pink" booth

No booth proposed new ways to stop stalkers who go on to murder women from obtaining guns, but there were posters on how to look sexy with your firearm (to be fair, we have some doubts that women are the intended audience for these posters):

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/05/04/1963461/women-nra-convention/

Post subject: Re: "The NRA Convention"
PostPosted: 05/04/13 3:35 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I keep waking up in this frigging alternate universe ~ :angry :angry :angry ~ Sooz

After Child Shooting, NRA Conference Peddles Guns For Kids
By Zack Beauchamp and Scott Keyes on May 3, 2013 at 4:31 pm

HOUSTON — Just days after a five year old killed his two year old sister with a gun made for children, the National Rifle Association (NRA) Annual Meeting pushed firearms into the hands of youth, including on-premises sale of weapons marketed explicitly to kids, an official NRA publication, and a “Youth Day” at the conference.

This is an NRA bib and child’s t-shirt:

A magazine cover targeting “young shooters” was on prominent display in the main convention hall as part of an NRA spread of official publications:

These weapons were available for purchase in the same convention hall, which doubled as a massive gun show:

Women and Guns, another magazine on display, included a lengthy profile of 19 year old McKenzie Gunns, who is helping Taurus Firearms conduct “a full turn around in their marketing” to “reach out to young people”:

The aforementioned Women and Guns also contained these pictures of children with guns in a piece on “Project Appleseed,” a program to teach young kids to use guns around the country:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/05/03/1961871/after-child-shooting-nra-conference-peddles-guns-for-kids/

Post subject: Re: The NRA Convention
PostPosted: 05/04/13 3:45 pm • # 3 
Administrator

I could feel my blood pressure spiking as I was reading this ~ the statistics below are staggering ~ monsters or socio-/psychopathic morons? ~ take your pick ~ :angry ~ emphasis/bolding below is in the original ~ Sooz

NRA ‘Home Defense’ Course Instructs Audience To Store Guns In Kids’ Room
By Zack Beauchamp and Scott Keyes on May 4, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Gun owners should store a gun in their kids’ room, according to a ‘Home Defense Concepts’ seminar offered at the National Rifle Association’s Annual Meeting, comments that came just days after the fatal shooting of a two-year-old at the hands of her five-year-old brother.

The course was taught by Rob Pincus, who owns the popular firearm instruction company I.C.E. Training. Pincus argued that, in the event of a home invasion, parents would instinctually run to their children’s room anyway, they might as well have a gun stored there to kill two birds with one stone:

Quote:
PINCUS: How about putting a quick-access safe in your kids’ room? [...] Good idea or bad idea? We have an emotional pushback to that. Here’s my position on this. If you’re worried that your kid is going to try to break into the safe that is in their bedroom with a gun in it, you have bigger problems than home defense. [Laughter] If you think that the kid who’s going to try to break into the safe because it’s in their room isn’t sneaking into your room to try to break into stuff, you’re naive and you have bigger problems than this. So let’s settle that issue and think about it. In the middle of the night, if I’m in the bathroom or getting a glass of water or in the bedroom or watching TV in the living room, if that alarm goes off and the glass breaks and the dog starts barking, what’s the instinct that most people are going to have, in regards to, “am I going to run across the house to get the gun, or am I going to run over here to help the screaming kid?” And if I’m going to go to the kid anyway, and I have an extra gun and an extra safe, why not put it in their closet?

Watch it (pardon the technical glitch at 1:25):

Defensive gun use against home invasions are extremely rare. Many of the statistics commonly cited by the NRA and its allies are based on mathematically impossible calculations, and the best available evidence suggests that almost all criminals hit in gunfire were shot by other criminals.

However, children are wounded and killed by accidental gunshots with horrifying frequency. Roughly 900 kids were killed in gun suicides or accidents in 2010. A Center for Disease Control study of 30,000 incidents of children killed by accidental firearm discharge found kids 0-4 were 17 times more likely to be killed in a gun accident in the states with the four highest levels of gun ownership than those with the four lowest (the figure was 13 times for kids aged 5-14). Relatedly, a RAND Institute study found that only 39 percent of parents who own guns kept their guns “locked, unloaded, and separate from ammunition.”

Pincus teaches an intruder defense course in schools around the country.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/05/04/1964091/nra-guns-kids-room/

PostPosted: 05/04/13 5:35 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

:puke

PostPosted: 05/04/13 6:08 pm • # 5 
Administrator

Who's the first to blow a boob off?

PostPosted: 05/05/13 3:05 pm • # 6 

Wow, it must have taken quite awhile to code that post!

PostPosted: 05/06/13 7:25 am • # 7 
Administrator

Just a lot of highlighting and clicking, SciFi ~ but, for me, the pictures live up to the old "a picture is worth a thousand words" meme ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 05/06/13 7:36 am • # 8 
Administrator

No words ~ just overwhelming disgust ~ :angry ~ Sooz

Sunday, May 5, 2013 03:28 PM CDT
NRA hides bleeding Obama-look-alike target from convention
Zombie Industries has been asked to remove the model from its display, but is still allowed to sell it.
By Prachi Gupta

(Credit: Zombie Industries)

The NRA has asked vendor Zombie Industries to remove one of its three-dimensional, “life sized” shooting targets from an NRA convention in Houston because of the target’s uncanny resemblance to President Barack Obama. The particular model, pictured above, is reminiscent of the “History Channel’s” Satan, dubbed “Obama Satan” by conservatives for the devil’s resemblance to the president.

Sources at the conference spoke to BuzzFeed:

Quote:
“Someone from the NRA came by and asked us to remove it” a Zombie Industries booth worker told BuzzFeed in hushed tones. “They thought it looked too much like President Obama.”

When asked if the Obama likeness was intentional the worker said, “Let’s just say I gave my Republican father one for Christmas.”

“They are just scared some liberal reporter will come by and start bitching” another booth worker said to men gathered around the booth. “But ya know, he does look very familiar.”

BuzzFeed notes that although the target has been removed from the display, it is still available for purchase at the booth. Other models, which “bleed when you shoot them,” include a clown named BoBo, a terrorist dressed as Osama bin Laden and a Nazi.

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/05/nra_hides_bleeding_obama_look_alike_target_from_convention/

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply