It is currently 05/18/24 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 1 of 4   [ 97 posts ]
PostPosted: 05/17/13 7:47 am • # 1 
Administrator

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/s ... tions.html

PostPosted: 05/26/13 1:59 pm • # 2 
Administrator

For me, this synopsis itself is well beyond what Josh Marshall dubs "weird" ~ :g ~ Sooz

TPM Editor’s Blog
From the Epic Annals of Holy Crap
Josh Marshall- May 25, 2013, 8:17 PM

You have no doubt heard the on-going saga of Toronto Mayor Rob Ford. Though the video has never been publicly shown, three reporters have allegedly seen video of Ford smoking what appears to be crack cocaine with a group of Somali immigrant drug dealers. They appear to be the ones who are shopping the video of Ford smoking said crack. For the last week or more he’s been dodging the press and clearly unwilling and presumably unable to deny the videos existence or authenticity. Yesterday he emerged to give a classic non-denial denial of his apparent drug use.

Looking at this from the outside, setting aside that it’s problematic to have a serving mayor caught on tape doing drugs, I’ve had to ask: how does the sitting Mayor end up carousing with Somali crack dealers and smoking crack? Well, we may have an answer. The Globe and Mail has just published a lengthy, very lengthy look at the Ford family. And basically all Ford’s siblings have substantial past ties to the drug trade.

It starts with Doug Ford, who isn’t just the Mayor’s brother, but also sits on the City Council. Back in the 80s, according to the article, Doug was a pretty major hashish dealer. Now, when I first read this I was thinking, how much does this really matter? Lots of people sold drugs to friends when they were young and then went on to perfectly normal, even establishmentarian lives. That’s part of what this was. Doug’s dealing apparently ran from when he was 15 to 22. So pretty young.

But it’s a bit more than that. He wasn’t just dealing to friends. According to the Globe and Mail, he was the guy who supplied other street level dealers. So it was a pretty big operation. Like others in this story, Doug Ford seems to have been on the margin between drug dealers and drug traffickers. Not just people dealing to support their own habits but people running pretty elaborate and presumably profitable enterprises. And bear in mind, these kids weren’t growing up in rough inner city poverty. They came from a very wealthy family and lived in an exclusive neighborhood.

(Here’s a somewhat bizarre video of Doug Ford denying … or well, not really denying but kind of maybe denying the allegations.)

So way back when, current city councilor and brother Doug Ford was a dealer. Apparently Randy Ford, another brother was too. But he was the crazy one. But before we get to him let’s discuss Marco Orlando. He was allegedly one of the guys Doug supplied and who was himself a dealer. Only Marco was a bit of a goof and fell behind on what he owed Doug.

So this happened …

Quote:
He was also supplied a lot of drugs on credit but was notoriously unreliable when it came to paying for them. Among his suppliers, the suspicion was that Marco was sharing his illicit proceeds with his parents and feigning poverty. So two weeks before Christmas, they hatched a plan, said “Tom,” a drug dealer who said he was involved in the scheme.

On a Tuesday night, with the usual throng of young adults outside the Bank of Montreal at the Royal York Plaza, Marco was jumped, beaten and thrown into a car. He was driven more than 30 kilometres to a basement in Bolton, where someone called his parents, demanding they hand over the money. For 10 hours, Mr. Orlando was captive, but his parents didn’t panic. Instead, they called the police. Within three days, all three men allegedly involved in the plot were under arrest.

Randy Ford was one of those arrested for the kidnapping. The guy who represented Randy, Dennis Morris, is the same lawyer representing the current Mayor in the crack situation.

Then there’s the sister Kathy.

Last year, her long time boyfriend, who’s also a convicted crack and hash dealer, was charged with threatening the Mayor’s (i.e., her brother’s) life. But it was probably clear that Scott MacIntyre wasn’t a great guy back in 2005 when he and a friend were charged with shooting Kathy in the face. (She survived.)

And she’d had relationship problems before - like when her drug addict ex-husband shot and killed her then-current boyfriend. And there’s a whole other part of the story which is that the boyfriend who was killed was a big white supremacist and apparently Kathy was too. But it’s notable that her associates in the white supremacist world were apparently also major drug dealers.

Now the big stuff appears to be relatively far in the past. And the article is clear that Rob Ford, the Mayor, who was a couple years younger, does not seem to have been actively involved in the brothers’ drug business himself. But what the article also notes is that a lot of people from the Fords’ drug dealing days - people who were in the business themselves - are part of the Mayor’s current entourage.

It is, to put it mildly, a really weird story. It’s also important to note that the big stuff happened when all these guys were younger. To get the full feel for it, read the article. But after reading it, you’ll be a whole lot less surprised that the Mayor was off smoking crack with some Somali crack dealers.

http://editors.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2013/05/from_the_epic_annals_of_holy_crap.php?ref=fpblg

PostPosted: 05/26/13 7:23 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

can't wait to see the video.

PostPosted: 05/27/13 7:22 am • # 4 
Administrator

Don't hold your breath, mac.
My suspicion is that the Fords got their hands on the video and it'll never see the light of day. Remember that the Ford brothers are allegedly connected to the illegal drug trade.
It isn't for nothing that Ford issued his denial after it became known that the video was not available.

PostPosted: 05/27/13 8:16 am • # 5 

Even if it's true he smoked crack, it was way back in the 80s -- three decades ago.

Presumably he's led a clean life since. Friends report he doesn't even drink.

I say, "So what? It was the past. He was in his youth. Let it go."

PostPosted: 05/27/13 8:30 am • # 6 
Administrator

Even if it's true he smoked crack, it was way back in the 80s

Not so.
The video is very recent.

PostPosted: 05/27/13 8:48 am • # 7 
Administrator

He's the Marion Barry of the Canadian side.

PostPosted: 05/27/13 8:51 am • # 8 

The alleged video. And how do you know it's recent?

PostPosted: 05/27/13 9:02 am • # 9 
Administrator

SciFiGuy wrote:

Reports from Gawker and the Toronto Star and Mayor Ford's actions.

PostPosted: 05/27/13 9:07 am • # 10 

I read those news reports. Even if there is a video (which I have my doubts about), there is no way to know if it was PhotoShopped, if it was grainy and really someone else who resembled the mayor, or if it was taken recently. Old 8mm film, for instance, can be converted to video.

The mayor's only actions have been to deny the video's existence.

PostPosted: 05/27/13 9:10 am • # 11 
Administrator

You need to read beyond the headlines a bit more.
You can believe whatever you want.

Last edited by Anonymous on 05/27/13 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05/27/13 9:16 am • # 12 
Editorialist

SciFiGuy wrote:

um.....because it was recorded on a cell phone? because those that have seen it say so?

PostPosted: 05/27/13 11:35 am • # 13 
Administrator

WOW! ~ this might be a stretch, but stranger things have been known to happen ~ :g ~ Sooz

TPM Editor’s Blog
Mayor Crack Scandal Now Possibly Tied to Murder
Josh Marshall- May 27, 2013, 9:47 AM

Up until now every day seems to bring a new revelation of Toronto’s fun-loving politics and drug underworld family, the Fords. Yesterday, after calling the Toronto media a “bunch of maggots”, Mayor Rob Ford denied the very existence of the purported video at the center of the evolving scandal. But today, the Globe and Mail reports the story is moving to a whole new and potentially terrifying level - much more serious but no less bizarre.

Two sources have confirmed to the paper that Toronto police last week interviewed a senior member of Mayor Ford’s staff in regards to a murder that may be related to the video of Mayor Ford smoking crack.

The details are a little complicated here so bear with me.

From the beginning of the scandal, claims about the existence of the video have been tied to a photo of Ford with a man named Anthony Smith, a 21 one year old Torontonian who was gunned down back in March. The new theory is that Smith was originally the owner of the video (perhaps the one who made it?) and that his murder was tied to his possession of it.

Smith’s murder itself isn’t news. As noted, it happened back in March. And photos of Smith and the Mayor surfaced with the first news of the crack smoking scandal. In fact, the alleged current owners of the video (Toronto-based Somali drug dealers, according to Gawker and The Toronto Star) apparently used the photos to establish the bona fides of the video, or at least to confirm that Ford was spending time with crack dealers.

Now here’s one part of the Star story which raises even more questions about what’s going on here …

Quote:
A senior member of Rob Ford’s office was interviewed by police last week about a tip linking a video allegedly showing the mayor smoking illicit drugs to a recent Toronto homicide, two separate sources have confirmed.

The staffer felt compelled to share the tip, which came to him from someone else in the mayor’s office, with police because it could constitute evidence in a homicide investigation.

If you pick these two paragraph’s apart - the lede of the piece - this information seems to have been circulating within the Mayor’s senior staff. The staffer who went to the police got it from another member of the Mayor’s staff, who it seems did not choose to share the information with the police.

http://editors.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2013/05/mayor_crack_scandal_now_possibly_tied_to_murder.php?ref=fpblg

PostPosted: 05/27/13 11:45 am • # 14 
I see. So he's guilty until proven innocent.

PostPosted: 05/27/13 12:29 pm • # 15 
Administrator

Politically, you're exactly right.
Legally? We'll see.

PostPosted: 05/27/13 12:30 pm • # 16 
Editorialist

SciFiGuy wrote:
I see. So he's guilty until proven innocent.

you asked how we "knew" it was recent. we answered.

i never said he was guilty of anything. and personally? if he wants to smoke crack and f(*k goats in his spare time, that is his own business. i couldn't care less.

PostPosted: 05/27/13 12:37 pm • # 17 
Administrator

I care.
Illegal drugs are still illegal and so is goat poking unless the goat has his/her say in the matter.
Those who break laws should not be in a legislative or law enforcement position.

PostPosted: 05/27/13 12:45 pm • # 18 
Administrator

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's press secretaries quit, sources say
George Christopoulos and Isaac Ransom step down
CBC News
Posted: May 27, 2013 2:01 PM ET
Last Updated: May 27, 2013 2:30 PM ET

Rob Ford's press secretary and deputy press secretary have suddenly quit, sources tell CBC News, the latest development in the ongoing controversy surrounding the Toronto mayor.

Press secretary George Christopoulos and deputy press secretary Isaac Ransom have stepped down.

Sources told the CBC's city hall reporter Jamie Strashin that the two key staff members quit “on principle.”

The news comes four days after the firing of Ford’s chief of staff, Mark Towhey.

Towhey issued a tweet shortly after the news broke, describing Christopoulos and Ransom as "2 outstanding, honest & honorable professionals for whom I have enormous respect."

The upheaval in Ford’s office began 10 days ago, when journalists from the Toronto Star and the U.S. gossip website Gawker reported viewing a video that appeared to show Rob Ford smoking crack.

The mayor has denied the video exists and denied he has a cocaine problem.

CBC News has not seen the video or been able to verify it.

The mayor is expected to make a public statement later this afternoon.

On Sunday, Rob Ford and his brother Coun. Doug Ford used their weekly radio show to deny the allegations of drug use. Rob Ford also called the media "a bunch of maggots" during the broadcast.

Meanwhile, Gawker is nearing its goal of raising $200,000 to purchase the videotape. As of 2:20 p.m. ET on Monday, the site was about $7,000 short of its $200,000 goal, with the money raised in an online campaign.

Even if Gawker's fundraising goal is met, it's unclear whether the tape will surface. Both Gawker and the Star reported last week they've lost contact with the person who has possession of the video.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2 ... signs.html

Last edited by Anonymous on 05/27/13 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05/27/13 1:16 pm • # 19 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
I care.
Illegal drugs are still illegal and so is goat poking unless the goat has his/her say in the matter.
Those who break laws should not be in a legislative or law enforcement position.

i don't. murder is another matter entirely, however.

PostPosted: 05/27/13 1:57 pm • # 20 
Editorialist

crackstarter just passed $200k.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rob-ford-crackstarter

PostPosted: 05/27/13 1:58 pm • # 21 
Administrator

IMO, the Fords have the tape already.

PostPosted: 05/27/13 1:58 pm • # 22 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
IMO, the Fords have the tape already.

no doubt.

it is the only way the folks on both sides of this issue could be telling the truth.

PostPosted: 05/27/13 3:19 pm • # 23 
Administrator

Mac had trouble posting this pic from the Rob Ford Crackstarter page at the indiegogo website ~ the goal was to raise $200,000, final tally is $200,637 ~ John Cook, of Gawker, began the campaign ~ but if you go to the page now, there is a disclaimer saying: "We have had no further contact with the people we believe to have custody of this video since the last update." and "Our confidence that we can consummate this transaction has diminished." ~

I admit that particular photo looks obviously "photoshopped" to me ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 05/27/13 3:26 pm • # 24 
Administrator

I admit that particular photo looks obviously "photoshopped" to me ~

Deliberately, IMO.

PostPosted: 05/27/13 3:33 pm • # 25 
Administrator

That was my thought too, oskar ~

Sooz

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 1 of 4   [ 97 posts ] New Topic Add Reply