PostPosted: 11/05/13 1:30 pm • # 52 
Administrator

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford admits to smoking crack

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24824651#

PostPosted: 11/05/13 8:06 pm • # 53 
Editorialist

Yeah, well..........(any emphasis mine)

Rob Ford’s ‘crack’ admission called legally safe, ploy for sympathy

TORONTO — Mayor Rob Ford’s stunning turnaround admission that he has in fact smoked crack cocaine was little more than a cynical ploy designed to curry public sympathy while offering little exposure to criminal charges, law experts said Tuesday.

While his comments are potential evidence against him, they simply aren’t enough for police to act, and Ford would have known that before opening his mouth, they said.

“This is all part of a cynical attempt to manipulate public opinion,” said noted criminal lawyer James Lockyer.

“He is playing a very, very clever game here.”

After months of denials, obfuscations and outright avoidance, Ford arrived at city hall Tuesday morning and practically begged reporters to ask him directly if he had ever smoked crack cocaine.

He was quick to provide the answer.

“Yes, I’ve smoked crack cocaine ... probably in one of my drunken stupors, probably approximately about a year ago,” Ford told a disbelieving crush of media.

When it comes to potential charges, the biggest problem is that his admission lacks any specificity, experts said.

Among other things, police would need to be able to show that what he smoked was in fact cocaine. They would also need to know an approximate date for when the offence occurred and even to know where it occurred.

“His saying it is evidence (but) they need more than that,” said criminal lawyer and former Crown attorney, Mark Polley.

“You wouldn’t want to be taking a long shot on this with all the resources that it’s going to take up.”

The mayor, his brother and Ford’s lawyer have been vocal in calling for it to be made public but Blair refused, saying the video is evidence in the extortion case against the mayor’s friend and driver, Alexander (Sandro) Lisi.

Despite the high profile nature of the Ford case, the situation is akin to Justin Trudeau — Ford is reported to made a derogatory slur against the Liberal leader in the “crack” video — or other politicians who have admitted to using another illegal substance, marijuana.

A lack of hard detailed evidence all but rules out charges against them.

What is clear, legal observers said, is that Ford would certainly have been following his lawyer’s advice every step of the way, even when he claimed how difficult and embarrassing it was to make the confession.

“His admission is not really telling us anything that we didn’t already know but gains him a sympathetic audience in many quarters,” Lockyer said.

“What we’re seeing here is a clever and highly cynical political strategy being concocted by Mr. Ford and his circle, which includes a criminal lawyer who knows what he’s doing.”

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/canad ... story.html

PostPosted: 11/05/13 10:09 pm • # 54 
Editorialist

Toronto is the only place on earth where a beefy fat guy can use the words "drunken stupor" and "reelection" in the same paragraph.

I don't know whether or not to be totally appalled or proud in a frat boy way of my city.

:happydance

Did you know that Cartman is mayor of Toronto?

PostPosted: 11/06/13 12:03 am • # 55 
Editorialist

I love his excuse: I smoked crack but it's okay because I was blind drunk at the time.

PostPosted: 11/06/13 6:29 am • # 56 
Editorialist

green apple tree wrote:
Toronto is the only place on earth where a beefy fat guy can use the words "drunken stupor" and "reelection" in the same paragraph.

I don't know whether or not to be totally appalled or proud in a frat boy way of my city.

:happydance

Did you know that Cartman is mayor of Toronto?

Then he's not "beefy fat" he's "big boned". :lol

PostPosted: 11/06/13 10:15 am • # 57 
Administrator

I wish US newspapers had the cojones and the sense of humor to be this ... blunt and precise ~ :b ~ there are "live links" to more/corroborating information in the original ~ Sooz

TPM LIVEWIRE
PHOTO: Toronto Sun Front Page Anoints Rob Ford A 'Global Stuporstar'
Zoe Schlanger – November 6, 2013, 9:30 AM EST

The Toronto Sun newspaper used its front page Wednesday to mock Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's admission that he has smoked crack cocaine.

The Canadian paper used the headline "Rob Ford: GLOBAL STUPORSTAR," in reference to Ford's statement that he smoked crack "probably in one of my drunken stupors."

Ford announced Wednesday that he would not resign from the mayorship.

Image via Newseum

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/toronto-sun-front-page-anoints-rob-ford-a-global-stuporstar

PostPosted: 11/07/13 12:12 pm • # 58 
Editorialist

It just keeps getting better and better. all bracketed comments mine.

TORONTO - A new video has surfaced showing Toronto Mayor Rob Ford using threatening words including "kill" and "murder."

The context of the video is unknown and it's unclear who the target of Ford's wrath is.

The video — which appears to have been shot by cellphone — was posted by the Toronto Star and the Toronto Sun on their websites.

The Sun says a source close to the mayor said that it "looks a lot worse than it really is." (isn't that what was said originally about the crack video? LOL)

At one point in the video, Ford says he'll "make sure" the person is dead.

The Sun says Ford's behaviour is also consistent with several conversations one of their reporters has had with the mayor in which he used similar inflammatory vernacular.

Ford admitted Tuesday he has smoked crack cocaine in a "drunken stupor", but said he's not stepping down.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/natio ... story.html

PostPosted: 11/07/13 3:25 pm • # 59 
Editorialist

Oh man! This guy is the gift that just won't quit giving.

http://news.ca.msn.com/canada/video-sho ... ced-rant-1

PostPosted: 11/07/13 4:10 pm • # 60 
Editorialist

You know, there is very little work to being a comedian these days. All you have to do is be a straight man to reality.

PostPosted: 11/07/13 6:57 pm • # 61 
Administrator

This Friday the Fifth Estate (CBC) has an investigative report on Ford. Apparently they have some new stuff to report.

PostPosted: 11/13/13 4:30 pm • # 62 
Editorialist

Just when you thought it couldn't get more entertaining. I can't wait for The Daily Show tonight!

http://news.ca.msn.com/canada/video/?vi ... 1781147100

(Not only do I hope he doesn't quit, I hope he gets re-elected. After all, it's only Toronto, they deserve him and it is so much fun.)

PostPosted: 11/13/13 5:16 pm • # 63 
Editorialist

(Not only do I hope he doesn't quit, I hope he gets re-elected. After all, it's only Toronto, they deserve him and it is so much fun.)

:hmm :mad :b

PostPosted: 11/13/13 5:43 pm • # 64 
Editorialist

Holy shit! He's a typical addict who can't admit his problems. He needs to realize that the city council AND entire country are doing an intervention. Most everyone is saying, we won't enable you any longer. GET HELP!

His family needs to step in. People who really care about him.

PostPosted: 11/13/13 6:26 pm • # 65 
Editorialist

yeah. at this point, it's a no brainer. he broke the law while in office. if he couldn't get that job with a criminal record, he shouldn't have it now. he's toast.

PostPosted: 11/14/13 8:20 am • # 66 
Editorialist

More than Ford. Poor Toronto. Now they have to spend money to repair their reputation or they could lose millions. Tourism, conventions and such.

PostPosted: 11/14/13 10:53 am • # 67 
Editorialist

More than Ford. Poor Toronto. Now they have to spend money to repair their reputation or they could lose millions. Tourism, conventions and such

Are you kidding! He's Toronto's biggest.....and I mean that literally....tourist attraction right now. The country's next tourism millionaire will be the one who convinces Ford to bungee jump off the CN Tower. Wouldn't want to risk standing right below him though what with all the big macs, nickel bags, bottle openers n' crack pipes falling out of his pockets.

(BTW: your video doesn't work for me. Says it's private.)

(BTW2: He's at it again today. Threatening to "f***en sue everybody who ratted him out.

PostPosted: 11/14/13 11:03 am • # 68 
Editorialist

Sorry. It played for me originally, right before I posted it. It's pretty cool actually. Even has a glimpse of Russell Peters.

I went back to the news story to find it and it said:

Update: The video has been taken offline and marked 'Private'

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/tor ... z2kdqFv7qJ

PostPosted: 11/15/13 11:12 am • # 69 
Administrator

It's obvious Rob Ford has LOTS of problems, but he is a disgusting PIG on almost too many levels to count ~ I caught a snippet on my late news last night that said he is being "rewarded" for his aberrant behavior by he and his brother being hired for a new reality show ~ :s ~ Sooz

TPM EDITOR'S BLOG
Rob Ford Exceeding Personal Best?
Josh Marshall – November 13, 2013, 6:25 PM EST4

When you're the Mayor of the biggest city in Canada and you admit you smoked crack - or you think you smoked crack but you can't exactly remember since you were so hammered when you smoked it - it's really hard to top yourself. But Mayor Rob Ford of Toronto just keeps bringing it. New police reports of a St. Patrick's Day bash in 2012 includes hookers, vodka, oxy, cocaine and well ... just join me after the jump for more ...

From the Toronto Star ...

Quote:
Mayor Rob Ford snorted cocaine, swilled vodka, popped a dose of Oxycontin and partied with an apparent prostitute during an all-night binge last year that raved from his office to a private room in a Toronto bar, Ford staffers and bar employees alleged to police investigating the mayor.

Several of Ford’s top aides told detectives they were concerned about the mayor’s intoxicated, addled and even violent behaviour the night of St. Patrick’s Day 2012.

Before the tumultuous night was over, they told police, Ford would call a cab driver a “Paki,” deride several top aides as “Liberal bitches,” burst into tears about his deceased father and tell a former staffer that “I banged your pussy.”

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/rob-ford-exceeding-personal-best

PostPosted: 11/15/13 12:11 pm • # 70 
Administrator

Rob Ford stripped of key powers in council vote

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/r ... -1.2426988

PostPosted: 11/15/13 2:30 pm • # 71 
Editorialist

He's going to take the council to court about that. :eyes

PostPosted: 11/15/13 2:53 pm • # 72 
Administrator

According to several lawyers he's wasting his time.

PostPosted: 11/15/13 4:58 pm • # 73 
Administrator

Thank goodness, he's married and gets to eat a lot at home. wink, wink!
I'm startin to like this guy. :lol

PostPosted: 11/15/13 5:14 pm • # 74 
Editorialist

jabra2 wrote:
Thank goodness, he's married and gets to eat a lot at home. wink, wink!
I'm startin to like this guy. :lol

If I was his wife, I'd be afraid.....very afraid. What if he toked a dooby, hopped aboard for a quick one and got a case of the munchies.....might not be pretty.....not pretty at all.

PostPosted: 11/15/13 6:42 pm • # 75 
Editorialist

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/grooch/gro ... de=3096771

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 3 of 4   [ 97 posts ] New Topic Add Reply