It is currently 07/03/24 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
PostPosted: 06/02/13 11:53 am • # 1 
Administrator

This is VERY disappointing ~ I know my state rep, Kelly Cassidy ~ she is wonderful and has a lot at stake personally ... she's a lesbian, in a committed civil relationship, and they have 3 children ~ she has worked tirelessly on marriage equality and really believed they had the votes ... until several reps decided to change from 'yea' to 'nay' sometime on Friday ~ rather than risk the vote not passing, they decided to not call the vote ~ but she has great hopes that a "special session" will be called during this extended recess ~ Sooz

Illinois House Adjourns Without Passing Marriage Equality
By Josh Israel on May 31, 2013 at 8:21 pm

The Illinois House of Representatives adjourned Friday without voting on marriage equality. The Senate passed its version of the bill back on Valentine’s Day, and Gov. Pat Quinn (D) had promised to sign it into law.

As supporters jeered from the gallery, the bill’s sponsor, Rep. Greg Harris (D), announced that several colleagues indicated they were not ready to vote for the bill. He suggested they may support the measure in November at a reconvened session.

In recent days, LGBT advocates and Harris had claimed to have the votes needed.

Recent polling showed 50 percent of Illinois voters support marriage equality, while just 29 percent oppose.

Update: Harris told reporters that he had had the needed 60 votes for passage before a group of people backed out. The Chicago Phoenix reports that in the hours leading up to the non-vote, 12 Representatives withdrew their support for the bill.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2013/05/31/2088811/breaking-illinois-house-to-adjourn-without-passing-marriage-equality/

PostPosted: 06/02/13 12:06 pm • # 2 
Administrator

12 Representatives withdrew their support for the bill.

Name them.

PostPosted: 06/02/13 12:24 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

I'm still sort of shocked that equality for American Citizens needs to be voted on. How or why it's still a state issue is beyond me.

PostPosted: 06/02/13 1:39 pm • # 4 
Administrator

How or why it's still a state issue is beyond me.

A SCOTUS that passes the buck when something pops up that is clearly constitutional but that goes against their bigotry/biases?

PostPosted: 06/02/13 6:24 pm • # 5 
Chaos333 wrote:
I'm still sort of shocked that equality for American Citizens needs to be voted on. How or why it's still a state issue is beyond me.

I agree: it should be a matter of civil rights, and gays should have the same civil rights as heterosexuals. Period. Including the right to marry whom they wish. Nationwide.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply