It is currently 07/02/24 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
PostPosted: 06/04/13 7:46 am • # 1 
Administrator

I almost always have a problem with some school rules/policies ~ but here, while I think the fine and denial of diploma is VERY harsh, the student [after asking permission and being denied] clearly and intentionally violated the policy ~ and I see no discrimination since no one was granted permission to wear "extraneous items" ~ she gambled and lost ~ Sooz

Native American student denied high school diploma for wearing tribal feather
By Arturo Garcia
Monday, June 3, 2013 10:49 EDT

A high school graduate in Alabama is being denied her diploma after being fined $1,000 for wearing a feather reflecting her Native American heritage.

“I don’t think it’s fair at all,” 17-year-old Chelsey Ramer told WPMI-TV. “I feel like its discrimination.”

Ramer, a member of the Poarch Creek Band of Indians, wore the feather while taking part in the graduation ceremony at Escambia Academy High School in defiance of school policy forbidding “extraneous items” from being worn without school permission.

The school sent a contract for graduating seniors to sign before the May 23 event, but Ramer told the station she never signed it. Escambia is now withholding her diploma until she pays the fine.

“About two months ago, me and the other Indian seniors from the graduating class asked our headmaster if we could wear the feathers on our caps,” Ramer told Indian Country Today Media Network. “She told us ‘no’ and that if we did, she would pull us off the field.”

However, Ramer attended and walked in the ceremony without incident. Indian Country Today reported that the headmaster who denied Ramer’s request, Betty Warren, has been replaced by David Walker, who coaches Escambia’s girl’s basketball team.

“He said if it was up to him, he would give me my diploma,” Ramer said to Indian Country Today. “But he had to go through the board to get it approved.”

Watch WPMI’s report on Ramer’s fine, aired Friday, below. [Sooz says video accessible via the end link]

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/03/native-american-student-denied-high-school-diploma-for-wearing-tribal-feather/

PostPosted: 06/04/13 8:20 am • # 2 
i have a real problem with schools that deny a student their earned diploma...I feel like the diploma belongs to the student and frankly, no one should have the right to deprive the student of possession of what they have earned...

I also think there is a 1st amendment right issue here: the fine is over the top, and for sure the withholding of the diploma is wrong...

When i graduated, we had our "dirty dozen" who parked an outhouse on the front yard of the high school: the guys were not allowed to participate in the "ceremony exercise" on graduation day, but they were given their diplomas, and were present to be with their friends, and present at the parties, they just didn't get to "take the walk"...that punishment was accepted by all as "fair" ==why can't schools have a little more understanding and sense of humor these days??

PostPosted: 06/04/13 8:30 am • # 3 
Editorialist

I agree Cannalee, they shouldn't deny the diploma, but I wouldn't have had a problem with them denying her the right to participate since she asked and was denied.

She, as all the other young people, must learn that there are rules in the real world. She may not be allowed to wear her feather at a job either. Suck it up, princess and do what is required of you. Then you don't have problems (for the most part).

PostPosted: 06/04/13 9:59 am • # 4 
Editorialist

Feathers are usually religious symbols. So, if the Lords prayer, etc. is to be banned from graduation ceremonies, so should feathers be banned.

PostPosted: 06/04/13 12:30 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

She earned the diploma. Now she has to pay a fine to get it? I don't think so!

It's a friggin' feather. I had to look twice at the picture just to pick it out.

PostPosted: 06/04/13 12:37 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

Escambia Academy's mission is to provide a solid foundation through a quality well-rounded educational experience in a safe, Christian environment, supported by a fully accredited academic program that is dedicated to the students' intellectual and personal growth and development.

While Escambia Academy is not a church-sponsored school, it does strive to provide a Christian atmosphere for all
of its participants. Every class has a daily devotion during homeroom. In most cases, this routine consists of prayer,
Bible reading, and/or a devotional. Escambia Academy has a Fellowship of Christian Athletes Club and other
Christian groups, which serve to further this goal

http://escambiaacademy.net/

So as long as she played good little christian all was well, but one feather of non-christian acknowledgement was too much?

PostPosted: 06/04/13 12:45 pm • # 7 
Why am I not surprised this is a Christian school.

Fine her 25 bucks and mail the diploma.

The punishment doesn't fit the crime. LOL!!!!

PostPosted: 06/04/13 12:46 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

By their own rules, a dress code violation is a "Class 1" offense....and this school thinks paddling is appropriate...which as far as I'm concerned is sick.
Class I Infractions
1. Gum
2. Eating/drinking in class
3. General disruptive conduct – classroom disruption
4. Tardy to class
5. Failure to return school forms by stated deadline
6. Dress code/uniform violation
7. Loud talking, running or pushing in buildings
8. Horseplay
9. Having a hat, cap or sunglasses in building. They will also be confiscated.
10. Accidental property damage
11. Possession and/or use of any article which disrupts the instruction program (iPad, Walkman, links, games,
fireworks, tec.)
12. Use of profanity *
13. Skipping class on campus *
14. Possession of any type of weapon *

Results
1. Conference
2. Work detail or paddling
3. Two days of work detail or paddling
4. Three days of work detail or paddling
5. Four days of work detail or paddling
6. Automatic suspension
7. Refer to Class II
8. * May result in more severe punishment depending on the circumstances

Every student is expected at all times to keep in mind that his or her conduct should not interfere with others. A
student may be disciplined by any member of the faculty or staff whenever necessary. Disciplinary measures will be
commensurate with the offense. The school does have the right to administer corporal punishment as a
disciplinary measure (no corporal punishment applied to K4 students)

http://escambiaacademy.net/uploads/4410 ... ndbook.pdf

PostPosted: 06/04/13 1:31 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

As I said, she asked and was told no. That should have been the end of it. When she gets out into the real world and asks her employer if she can hold a pow-wow in the break room and s/he says no, what will she do? If she goes ahead, would she be fired?

I agree that the punishment was too steep and she should get the diploma she earned without any strings attached. They should have banned her from the ceremony unless she took the feather out, since the question had been posed and answered before. She was told that she would be pulled off the field, but that didn't happen.

That is their fault for not following through and perhaps gave her the signal that she could do it anyway.

PostPosted: 06/04/13 2:32 pm • # 10 
Administrator

Quote:
and this school thinks paddling is appropriate...which as far as I'm concerned is sick.

I always picture some drooling pervert getting off by paddling students.
It wasn't legal anymore when I went to school over there. It sure is here when my son went to school.

PostPosted: 06/04/13 2:44 pm • # 11 
roseanne wrote:
As I said, she asked and was told no. That should have been the end of it. When she gets out into the real world and asks her employer if she can hold a pow-wow in the break room and s/he says no, what will she do? If she goes ahead, would she be fired?

That is their fault for not following through and perhaps gave her the signal that she could do it anyway.

If it was a Federal job, she would file a grievance and talk to an EEO attorney.

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits employers from discriminating against employees on the basis of race, personal characteristics associated with race (such as hair texture, skin color, or certain facial features), skin color complexion, national origin, ethnicity or accent, or because they appear to be of a certain ethnic background (even if they are not). Title VII also prohibits harassment such as racial slurs, offensive or derogatory remarks about a person’s race, color, or the display of racially-offensive symbols.

http://washington-dc.tullylegal.com/leg ... imination/

PostPosted: 06/04/13 2:51 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:

I agree that the punishment was too steep and she should get the diploma she earned without any strings attached. They should have banned her from the ceremony unless she took the feather out, since the question had been posed and answered before. She was told that she would be pulled off the field, but that didn't happen.

They did not tell her there would be a $1000 fine and no diploma until she paid up if she did it anyway. That diploma is hers, regardless of what bigoted rule they invented, and what consequence they pulled out of their asses after the fact.

PostPosted: 06/04/13 4:06 pm • # 13 
Editorialist

I agree

PostPosted: 06/06/13 8:45 pm • # 14 
Obviously, she was at the wrong school--

http://now.msn.com/lords-prayer-replace ... edictorian

I won't post the article, but the gist was the valedictorian tore up the speech approved by the school officials and recited the Lord's prayer instead, prefacing his prayer with "I'm glad my folks led me to the Lord at an early age."

School officials said "he wouldn't be punished for expressing his religous views..."

PostPosted: 06/06/13 8:57 pm • # 15 
Editorialist

I read today about this, but can't find the article now.

Anyway, the parents of the girl are going to pay the fine. They said that it didn't mean they agreed with it.

However, the mother said that after the girl had asked and was denied, they discussed it as a family. Evidently, the parents encouraged her to go against the decision. Lovely example they are setting....... :eyes

It reminds me of the man I caught chucking a childrens bicycle and some small pieced furniture in our private garbage bins who came from a house across the way. He had his daughter or granddaughter with him (one can never tell these days, lol). When I told him he shouldn't do that, he said "It was just a few little things". Lovely. Teaching that child to lie. I should have called him on it, but I didn't want to make a scene in front of the child.

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ] New Topic Add Reply