All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
PostPosted: 06/25/13 8:41 am • # 1 
Administrator

Posted with no further comment beyond ... :ey ~ Sooz

Santorum to head studio aimed at bringing faith-based filmmaking to Hollywood
By Ben Child, The Guardian
Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:06 EDT

The former US presidential hopeful will be CEO of a faith-based movie company that plans to recruit talent from Hollywood.

Rick Santorum, the evangelical former US presidential hopeful who lost out to Mitt Romney in last year’s Republican primaries, is to head a new studio which aims to bring faith-based film-making to Hollywood.

Texas-based EchoLight studios hopes to have a $20m fund in place within weeks to make Christian-oriented “family-friendly” movies. Its first film will be a western titled The Redemption of Henry Myers. The story will focus on a bank robber who is left for dead by his accomplices and nursed back to health by a widow and her young children. EchoLight is also planning a modern-day, non-musical retelling of the biblical story of Joseph and his coat of many colours.

Santorum, who ran for the Republican presidential nomination on a conservative platform opposing gay marriage and legal abortions, said he hoped to attract Hollywood film-makers to the new studio. The ex-US senator, who will be CEO of EchoLight, hinted that current faith-based films were not nearly religious enough in content.

“Here’s what I think of Hollywood,” Santorum told the Hollywood Reporter. “We’re looking for talented people who want to make quality films, even though we won’t be spending tens of millions of dollars on each of them. We want good writers, actors, and producers who want to make honest, uplifting content.”

He added: “There’s a lot of good family movies produced in Hollywood, but in almost every one of them there’s a scene where, as a dad with younger kids, I say: ‘Why did they put that gratuitous sex, or language, or violence in there?’ To me, it diminishes the film, so we won’t be doing that.

“Even in faith-based films, Hollywood tends to water down the truth,” added Santorum, reflecting on 2011 drama Soul Surfer, which told the true-life story of a young girl who continued her dream of becoming a professional surfer despite losing her left arm in a shark attack.

“[That] was a good film, but it didn’t accurately portray faith in that young lady’s life and how she overcame what she had to overcome,” Santorum said. “I don’t want to preach to anybody, I just want to portray faith as it really is, and we’re going to be telling a lot of true-life stories, and we’re going to make them comfortable even for people who are not of faith, because they are honest. That’s the challenge for us, and it’s what Hollywood tends to shy away from.”

EchoLight is also planning a film based on the true story of Eric “Hoovey” Elliott, a high-school basketball player whose brain tumour forced him to learn afresh how to walk, talk and perform other basic functions. It will be directed by Soul Surfer’s Sean McNamara.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/25/santorum-to-head-studio-aimed-at-brining-faith-based-filmmaking-to-hollywood/

PostPosted: 06/25/13 9:21 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Well sure. Spend millions to produce movies for a limited market, while children are going without food and shelter. :ey

“I don’t want to preach to anybody, I just want to portray faith as it really is

Try walking the walk you idiot.

PostPosted: 06/25/13 9:31 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Perfect. He can go create fantasies, and leave the rest of us alone.

PostPosted: 06/25/13 1:07 pm • # 4 
Administrator

What a great opportunity to promote SantorumLube!

PostPosted: 06/25/13 3:08 pm • # 5 
I hope he has to pay taxes on this new venture. Wonder what his salary is going to be?

PostPosted: 06/26/13 7:55 am • # 6 
You can bet his salary will be "heavenly".

PostPosted: 06/26/13 9:37 am • # 7 
Editorialist

these efforts usually fail spectacularly.

PostPosted: 06/26/13 5:16 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

Even odds that Kirk Cameron gets tied in to the Santorum show somehow....

And just for fun....

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Kirk_Cameron

Kirk Cameron is a sanctimonious, obnoxious fucknut and a washed-up former child T.V. star, who, like many such former child stars, has grown up to become a dysfunctional adult.

:lol

PostPosted: 06/26/13 8:18 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

Guy should start his own country somewhere: Thewaythingsoughttabe-sylvvania. Ot -istan.

PostPosted: 06/26/13 11:27 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

Well sure. Spend millions to produce movies for a limited market, while children are going without food and shelter. :ey

So it's better for the children going without food if they spend tens of millions on movies with a broader market?

PostPosted: 06/27/13 5:47 am • # 11 
Editorialist

Sure jim, that's what I meant. :eyes

I was speaking to this particular issue and pointing out the obvious hypocrisy of the so-called Christian types. Of all people, they should be spending the money as their Jesus would........unless they can do the fish and loaves trick. :b

PostPosted: 06/27/13 9:05 am • # 12 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:

I was speaking to this particular issue and pointing out the obvious hypocrisy of the so-called Christian types. Of all people, they should be spending the money as their Jesus would........unless they can do the fish and loaves trick. :b

I know what you meant. I was just giving you a tough time.

PostPosted: 06/27/13 10:12 am • # 13 
Editorialist

i was thinking about Santorum yesterday after the SCOTUS rulings. that must have been a difficult day for him.

PostPosted: 06/27/13 11:01 am • # 14 
Editorialist

jimwilliam wrote:
roseanne wrote:

I know what you meant. I was just giving you a tough time.

Ok, you're forgiven........this time! lol :hrt

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply