It is currently 07/01/24 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
PostPosted: 07/10/13 9:19 am • # 1 
Administrator

Another reason to love Dustin Hoffman ~ I see the "obsession" as mega superficial in the extreme ~ and I see it as extending far beyond girls/women ~ :g ~ Sooz

Tuesday, Jul 9, 2013 02:29 PM CDT
Dustin Hoffman takes on America’s looks obsession
Watch the interview in which the "Tootsie" actor breaks down in tears about his experience as an unattractive woman VIDEO
By Liz Fields

Dustin Hoffman didn’t want to just be any ordinary woman for his gender-bending role in the 1982 film “Tootsie,” he wanted to be “a beautiful woman.”

It may seem obvious, who wouldn’t? Yet it took a long, unsatisfied look in the mirror — once makeup crew had transformed him into the female part of the character — for Hoffman to realize the effect of impossible beauty standards on both sexes.

Face-to-face with his new, unattractive female visage, Hoffman had an “epiphany,” and later went home and started crying, the 75-year-old revealed in a 2012 interview:

Quote:
Talking to my wife, I said I have to make this picture, and she said, “Why?” And I said, “Because I think I am an interesting woman when I look at myself on screen. And I know that if I met myself at a party, I would never talk to that character because she doesn’t fulfill physically the demands that we’re brought up to think women have to have in order to ask them out.” She says, “What are you saying?” And I said, “There’s too many interesting women I have…not had the experience to know in this life because I have been brainwashed.”

The video pulled from the AFI archives by the Mary Sue has now gone viral, spreading a refreshing take on modern beauty standards and social values from the male perspective.

Watch Hoffman’s emotional and candid revelation here:

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/09/dustin_hoffman_takes_on_americas_looks_obsession/

PostPosted: 07/10/13 10:42 am • # 2 
Of course it extends beyond women. Why did we have President Bush instead of President Cheney? He satisfied the he looks good enough to be President criteria. We will stick Cheney in the second position.

Why do we have Sarah Palin at all? And all that drool. OMG!!!

Then all the fuss about Hillary and her cankles and looking like Brunhilde.

Kim Kardashian and her clan are not great people because they look good. They don't do anything and they don't have ANY talent. Stop watching that shit!!! Stop buying the magazines.

It all makes me mad.

PostPosted: 07/10/13 11:01 am • # 3 
Editorialist

IMO the media (mags, tv, movies) are the biggest pushers of fake beauty, spurred on by the beauty supply business. Have you noticed lately that, even though they are using "older" models for ads like for hair color, on the tv ads their faces are almost completely obscured by bright white lighting? Hmmm, I wonder why? LOL

Buy this to look younger, use this to be prettier, spray this on to smell better........For pete's sake, there's even a damn deodorant that will make your underarms smoother. :g WHY???

I don't buy any of that. The current on-sale lotion and a couple of cheap body sprays that I use rarely.

As Hoffman said, it's brainwashing that is now starting in "toddler-hood" via the media.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply