All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Boehner's fantasy land
PostPosted: 07/22/13 7:29 am • # 1 
Administrator

Simply ... mind-numbing ~ :ey ~ emphasis/bolding below is mine ~ Sooz

Boehner tries to rebrand failure, defend Congress' ineptitude
By Steve Benen - Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:36 AM EDT

This Congress is generally perceived as failing miserably when it comes to governing, and a few weeks ago, we learned this perception is quantifiably true: the 113th Congress is on track to pass fewer bills than any since the clerk's office started keeping track in the mid-1940s.

When a reporter asked House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) late last week about the institution's "historically unproductive" nature, the Republican balked. "That's just total nonsense," he snapped, before the question was even finished.

Over the weekend, however, Boehner reversed course, deciding that his unproductive tenure isn't something to be denied; it's something to be celebrated.

Quote:
House Speaker John Boehner says Congress "ought to be judged on how many laws we repeal."

The Ohio Republican makes the comments on an interview aired Sunday on CBS "Face the Nation." He was responding to a question about how little Congress is doing these days.

Boehner says Congress "should not be judged by how many new laws we create."

Let's appreciate exactly what Boehner is trying to do here. When he and his Republican colleagues sought power, they told the electorate that they would work to find solutions to national problems. After having been unsuccessful, the Speaker of the House has decided to rebrand failure -- he wants credit for his record of futility and expects praise for the fact that he and his caucus have made no legislative progress since he took power three years ago.

Instead of finding solutions to ongoing challenges, Boehner believes Congress should be focusing on undoing solutions to previous challenges. By the Speaker's reasoning, we should probably change the language we use when it comes to Capitol Hill -- Boehner and his colleagues aren't lawmakers, they're lawenders.

The House Speaker is on his way to establishing an accomplishment-free legacy, and at this point, he'd like you to think that's great.

Indeed, the closer one looks at Boehner's argument, the more bizarre it appears.

On the surface, his rhetoric is the epitome of the kind of post-policy nihilism that dominates Republican thought in 2013 -- Boehner doesn't want to build up, he'd rather tear down. Given an opportunity to look forward and make national progress, the Speaker sees value in looking backward and undoing what's already been done.

And just below the surface, the argument reinforces what has long been suspected: House Republicans not only don't have a positive policy agenda, they don't even see the point in pretending to want one.

But then there's the most problematic angle of all. Congress "ought to be judged on how many laws we repeal"? I'm afraid I have bad news for Speaker: Congress isn't repealing laws, either. Indeed, in order for lawmakers to repeal laws, Congress has to -- wait for it -- pass legislation addressing those laws.

In other words, by Boehner's own standards for evaluating Congress on the merits, he's failing.

Don't expect a sudden burst of productivity, either -- after taking four weeks off for the August recess, Boehner announced late last week that the Republican-led House only intends to work nine days in the month of September.

Keep in mind, in election years, we might expect congressional leaders to schedule fewer work days in September because members want to be on the campaign trail, but odd-numbered years are generally supposed to be focused on governing.

It seems getting nothing done is exhausting.

http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/07/22/19615155-boehner-tries-to-rebrand-failure-defend-congress-ineptitude?lite

PostPosted: 07/22/13 7:42 am • # 2 
Administrator

Up is down, day is night, hot is cold ~ this races to the top of my disgust with John Boehner ~ to me, he was elected to protect the public, NOT "the institution" ~ but in fact, he's managing to not protect either ~ :g ~ and his actions belie his alleged beliefs ~ Sooz

TPMLIVEWIRE
Boehner On His Legacy: ‘Fair To All And Protected The Institution’
Perry Stein - 12:23 PM EDT, Sunday July 21, 2013

House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) said he wants to remembered as a leader of the House that "was fair to all and protected the institution."

“When you look at my job, there's one person responsible for the institution of the House. And that falls into my lap. It's my number one responsibility,” Politico quoted him as saying in an interview that aired Sunday on CBS’ “Face the Nation.”

“But in addition to that, I actually do believe that opening up the process, allowing committees to do their work, bringing bills through committee and a more fair and open process on the floor, will begin to heal this institution," he said. "There's partisan scar tissue all over this place. But the more that I can open it up and allow members to work together, over time that partisan scar tissue will begin to melt and go away. It's a long-term proposition, but I'm committed to it.”

Boehner said "he's an optimist," despite the current gridlock in Washington.

“Hope springs eternal," he said. "I'm an optimist. I wouldn't be sitting here if I wasn't.”

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/boehner-on-his-legacy-fair-to-all-protected

PostPosted: 07/22/13 7:53 am • # 3 
Administrator

Boehner says Congress "should not be judged by how many new laws we create."

He's absolutely correct. Congress should be judged on the quality and nature of the laws it passes and repeals and, so far, this Congress's record could be the worst in the history of the U. S. of A..

PostPosted: 07/22/13 7:59 am • # 4 
Editorialist

On the surface, his rhetoric is the epitome of the kind of post-policy nihilism that dominates Republican thought in 2013 -- Boehner doesn't want to build up, he'd rather tear down. Given an opportunity to look forward and make national progress, the Speaker sees value in looking backward and undoing what's already been done.

This goes along with the movement-conservative belief that most of what we have called "progress" in the last 50 years should be undone, so that human nature and the laissez faire market forces can lead us back to "the way things ought to be". Like they were in that rosy, earlier-American past that nobody ever experienced.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply