It is currently 07/01/24 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
PostPosted: 07/25/13 2:45 pm • # 1 
I feel this way. I feel the law is bad, and the prosecution did not adequately reframe it into GZ was the aggressor not the defender.

William M. Welch, USA TODAY

The lone minority member of the jury that acquitted George Zimmerman says Zimmerman "got away with murder" in the killing of teenager Trayvon Martin.

In an interview with ABC News scheduled to air Thursday evening, the woman identified as Juror B29 said she feels she owes an apology to Trayvon's parents over the verdict that touched off protest demonstrations around the country.

The juror said the six-member all-female jury followed Florida law and found the evidence did not warrant a murder conviction.

"You can't put the man in jail even though in our hearts we felt he was guilty,'' said the juror.

She declined to be identified by her full name and was referred to in the interview as "Maddy." She allowed her face to be shown in the interviews to air on World News and Friday on Good Morning America.

She was interviewed by GMA anchor Robin Roberts.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2013 ... a/2587533/

PostPosted: 07/25/13 3:08 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

I thought manslaughter was a choice as well?

PostPosted: 07/25/13 3:55 pm • # 3 
We have to watch I guess.

Manslaughter was on the table.

PostPosted: 07/25/13 4:18 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Manslaughter carries most of the same requirements as murder, with the exception of premeditation [I think] ~ what was provable beyond doubt was "negligent homicide" ~ but I think that's where the FL "stand your ground" law comes into play ~ I'm pretty sure the jury instructions failed to provide for a "negligent homicide" charge and only allowed for 2d degree murder or manslaughter ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/26/13 11:09 am • # 5 
They didn't have to set this man free.... it was their choice to do so. IMO

PostPosted: 07/26/13 11:20 am • # 6 
Dee wrote:

I kind of wondered if while deliberating, they could not have sent word out for the judge to clarify just what options the jury had as to convicting Zimmerman of lesser crimes and what the elements of these crimes were..

.i don't know, but it seems like they should have gone down the list from murder to manslaughter if necessary, examining the evidence per crime...just from the outside looking in, it doesn't seem like they were out long enough to have done this thoroughly and just did a "not guilty" vote on the murder thing...i think they were tired of being sequestered.

i also think the jurors that are coming forward have been influenced by news coverage after the verdict...

PostPosted: 07/26/13 11:34 am • # 7 
Editorialist

Dee wrote:

I agree.

PostPosted: 07/26/13 12:06 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Chaos333 wrote:
Dee wrote:

I agree.

I disagree.
IMO, this law is the perfect example of when a legal system is NOT a justice system. I doubt the jurors had a choice in the matter since the law did not provide for options where justice is done.

PostPosted: 07/27/13 12:25 pm • # 9 
They were given the two chioces. They should have been given the negligent homicide option but weren't. They can not themselves choose any options not given them. Their choice boiled down to follow the law or follow their emotions. The prosecution did not prove it wasn't self defense. So, even though Zimmerman started everything, they could not by law find him guilty of murder or manslaughter. The jury did what they were legally supposed to do, what they legally swore to do. Annnnd........it sucks.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply