It is currently 06/28/24 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Gun-toting 5yo?
PostPosted: 08/23/13 7:46 am • # 1 
Administrator

I'm feeling enormous relief no one was wounded/killed ~ by my preference would be for the "parents" to be disciplined and the kidlet to be educated ~ :ey ~ Sooz

Tennessee 5-year-old detained after firing handgun in school cafeteria
By David Edwards
Thursday, August 22, 2013 13:27 EDT

A 5-year-old kindergartener has reportedly been detained at a school in Tennessee after a handgun discharged in the cafeteria.

Shawn Pachucki with Shelby County Schools told WMCT that police were called to Westside Elementary School following a gunshot that happened in the cafeteria at around 7:30 a.m. Pachucki said that the child brought the gun to school in a backpack and it accidentally discharged.

“This morning at Westside Elementary School, a Kindergarten student brought a firearm to school in his backpack,” a statement from Shelby County Schools said. “While waiting for the opening bell in the cafeteria, the firearm discharged accidentally inside the child’s backpack. Nobody was injured, and staff immediately took possession of the backpack.”

The statement added: “SCS Security and the Memphis Police Department responded quickly, and the matter is now under investigation. There is no evidence at this time of harmful intent; however, weapons of any kind are prohibited on campuses, and this student will be disciplined in accordance with the state’s zero tolerance policy.”

Reports said that the child was being held inside the principal’s office.

While Westside Elementary remained in session on Thursday, many parents who heard the news came to take their children home early.

“We’re gonna have to get together to see what we should do from this moment on because you know what you can do when you’re sitting back watching it on the news but when it’s happening right in your face, that’s a lot,” parent Preston Warmley told WMCT.

Watch this video from WMCT, broadcast Aug. 22, 2013. [Sooz says video accessible via the end link]

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/08/22/tennessee-5-year-old-detained-after-firing-handgun-in-school-cafeteria/

Post subject: Re: Gun-toting 5yo?
PostPosted: 08/23/13 8:25 am • # 2 
Editorialist

The parents should be arrested and CHARGED with child endangerment.......at the very least.

PostPosted: 08/23/13 9:18 am • # 3 
Administrator

“We’re gonna have to get together to see what we should do from this moment on because you know what you can do when you’re sitting back watching it on the news but when it’s happening right in your face, that’s a lot,” parent Preston Warmley told WMCT.

WTF is it that you "don't get", Preston?

PostPosted: 08/23/13 11:00 am • # 4 
Editorialist

If that kid had crack cocaine in his backpack...someone would be facing charges. But hey, it's just a loaded gun.

PostPosted: 08/23/13 1:31 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

Did the kid have a concealed/carry permit?

PostPosted: 08/23/13 2:49 pm • # 6 
Parents should be held responsible for their children's actions if the child is under 18 years old, IMO. Here is an article I think every parent should be made to read.... it is so right on the money. The very last sentence should strike home to every parent. It says "Maybe we should start putting parents on the witness stand so they can tell us exactly what they did to raise such perfect children."
And then these children go out and murder.

Negligent parents, lawbreaking kids

Editor's note: LZ Granderson is a CNN contributor who writes a weekly column for CNN.com. The former Hechinger Institute Fellow has had his commentary recognized by the Online News Association, the National Association of Black Journalists and the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association. He is also a senior writer for ESPN. Follow him on Twitter @locs_n_laughs.

(CNN) -- A detail in the fatal shooting of 14-year-old Shaaliver Douse by a New York Police Department officer earlier this month has been stopping me from grieving his death.
The tragedy happened around 3 a.m.

Why was a 14-year-old boy out that late without his mother, Shanise Farrar, who called the shooting an assassination? Or his aunt, Quwana Barcene, who said the bloody gun police say was found near his body was part of a coverup? Where was the supervising adult who should have been with a 14-year-old boy walking the streets of New York at 3 o'clock in the morning?

LZ Granderson
"I'm not saying that he's the best one, but he's my angel," his grieving mother said.
Her "angel" was a suspected gang member who police say was chasing and shooting at an unidentified man when they encountered him. Her "angel" was arrested last month for attempted murder of a 15-year-old. Her "angel" left their apartment around 8 p.m. and she had no idea where he was until the next morning when detectives informed her that her son was dead.
I want to mourn for her loss, I really do.
But as callous and as heartless as this sounds, I just can't get past what awful parents she and the boy's father were. Children may be born angels, but with all the temptations out there in the world, it takes work to try to keep them that way.
I'm sure the three teenagers suspected in the death of 23-year-old Christopher Lane -- killed because they allegedly were bored -- started off as angels. But who, besides their parents, would call them angels now?
"I know my son. He's a good kid," said Jennifer Luna, the mother of the boy prosecutor Jason Hicks said pulled the trigger.

Australians shocked by Okla. murder Australian student shot dead in U.S.
As a newspaper reporter, I covered and was around a fair number of crime scenes involving juvenile delinquents and few things bothered me more than listening to their parents. Crying, ranting, proclaiming how great their children were despite being kicked out of school or previous run-ins with the law.
That's not to say kids won't be kids. Of course they will be.
Which is why it is vitally important that parents be parents.
So when kids get bored, they don't think they should go "f**k with some n**gers," as then-18-year-old Deryl Dedmon Jr. suggested before he and his buddies ran over and killed 49-year-old auto worker James Craig Anderson, the first black person he saw, with his pickup truck back in 2011. Or randomly shoot a college student jogging down the street as entertainment -- though it seems the shooting may not have been as random as previously thought considering one of the suspects, who is black, tweeted that he hated white people back in April.
Parents are supposed to instill a sense of right and wrong in their children and then keep up the due diligence necessary to make sure they don't veer off that path. When parents don't do that, we end up with three 15-year-olds assaulting and breaking the arm of a 13-year-old on a school bus in Florida.
"This is life. I am sorry what happened to the victim," Julian McKnight Sr., whose son Julian was one of the boys accused in the attack, said after a court appearance. A second appearance is scheduled later this month.
"It's just the way it is. My son ain't never been no bad person, he just got mixed with bad people, that's all ... he sorry."
I am not a perfect parent with all the answers. But I do know that it was the father, and not the son, who was apologizing -- and that, my friends, is our problem in a nutshell.
We don't teach accountability, we don't expect accountability and I'm not even sure we even know what accountability looks like anymore. Some of us have become so addicted to pointing fingers at others for all the wrong that happens in our lives that self-assessment has become synonymous with blaming the victim.
Yes, there are cultural factors that make parenting difficult. And sometimes a bad seed is just that. But none of this excuses us from taking personal responsibility where we can.
I am tired of seeing "sorry" being used to cloak negligent parents.
Sorry won't bring back Christopher Lane or James Craig Anderson.
And they, too, were each somebody's "angel."
If sorry is not good enough to protect a bartender who serves alcohol to a visibly intoxicated person who drives and kills someone, why is sorry good enough for parents who, through negligence, are culpable for the crimes their undisciplined children commit?
If my son goes out and breaks the neighbor's window, I have to pay for it. Why is a window more sacred than another human life?
We need to hold parents more accountable, both culturally and legally, for the actions of their children. Maybe then more parents will be more engaged in the lives of their children on the front end, rather than the back end, in front of a judge. Society has avenues for juveniles who refuse to obey their parents. But where are the safeguards for society when parents decide not to use those avenues?
I'm tired of hearing how good the kids who commit heinous crimes are. Maybe we should start putting parents on the witness stand so they can tell us exactly what they did to raise such perfect children.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/22/opinion/g ... r=sharebar

PostPosted: 08/23/13 3:44 pm • # 7 
Administrator

Pack the little criminal off to one of those for-profit jails.

PostPosted: 08/23/13 4:44 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

I can see the point Dee, but "blame the parents" also has real problems. Parents aren't omnipotent and children aren't robots that can be programed to behave. I know my own children got up to stuff that I certainly wouldn't have approved of. But what are you supposed to do when children, and particularly teenagers, decide to go a bit wild? Lock them in their rooms?

I realise there are extreme cases where the parents could be seen as neglectful, but the truth of the matter is that children can and will do things you'd prefer they didn't and, in many cases, trying to prevent them can be counter productive.

Of course in this particular case you have to ask the question "how in the hell did a 5 year old end up with a loaded handgun in his backpack"?

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply