It is currently 06/26/24 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
PostPosted: 08/27/13 12:58 pm • # 1 
Administrator

I'm soooooooooooo lucky ~ I'm leaving to go to school to work the first book fair of the year from 300pm until after the conclusion of the first family council meeting tonight at @700pm ~ oh ... and its 94* at the lakefront [could easily be +8* to 10* at school] ~ humidity is over 60% ~ and did I mention school is not air-conditioned??? ~ :g

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/27/13 1:09 pm • # 2 
you're wrong...I ain't jealous.....;-)

PostPosted: 08/27/13 1:14 pm • # 3 
I'm going to Vic and Anthony's Steakhouse to celebrate my 36th anniversary. Knowing how much I adore excessive heat, I will try to reel in my jealousy.

PostPosted: 08/27/13 2:20 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

Oh sooz....and it's hard to have fans blowing enough to cool things down at a book fair without things taking flight! But it will be worth it when you see some little eyes light up at the idea of reading a book. :D

Happy Anniversary Kath!!! :happydance Enjoy your hunk o' moo!!

PostPosted: 08/27/13 3:11 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

A book fair Sooz? Are these actual books like the kind we grew up with or are they all on laptops now? That seems to be the direction things are going, for better or worse.

Happy Anniversary Kathy!!!

PostPosted: 08/27/13 3:18 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

working outside, temp = 90+F

PostPosted: 08/27/13 3:19 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

Good luck sooz! You know I love book fairs.

Happy Anniversary, Kathy!

PostPosted: 08/28/13 9:08 am • # 8 
Administrator

I survived ~ but came home feeling like I'd been hit by a train ~ and spent a very long time in the shower ~

School provided MinuteMaid frozen lemonade with fruit cups and lots and lots of icy water ~ but it was truly awful ~ we do have big fans, but with windows open to create a cross-draft, the fans just circulate hot/sticky air ~ this is an old building and since our goal is to build a new state-of-the-art school, we don't want to spend MEGA $$$ to re-do the entire electric system, which is what would be needed ~

Yes, John ~ real books ~ classrooms come down one-by-one during the day for kidlets to see what's there and the cost ~ they then come back a day or two later to buy what they want ~ it's "fun" when they empty their pockets of scrunched up bills and lots and lots and lots of small change ~ I personally spent about $20 yesterday, "helping" kidlets who were a little short on cash ~ but having so many bodies in the same stifling room at the same time adds greatly to the heat level ~

And because I seem to be wearing a neon sign on my back that says "Ms Sooz will say yes", I agreed to go back tomorrow ~ :o

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/28/13 1:21 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

Hope you had a Happy Anniversary Kathyk!

@ John- last school year my dd came home with lots of homework but no books! She'd ask for help and I'd say where's the book so I can understand the question better, but there were no books. I was excited yesterday to see her lugging home this big a$$ Geometry book!

sooz an online book sale would save your suffering...

PostPosted: 08/28/13 1:33 pm • # 10 
Administrator

sooz an online book sale would save your suffering...

Probably not in one of Chicago's poorest neighbourhoods.

PostPosted: 08/28/13 1:58 pm • # 11 
Administrator

An online book sale is a great idea, queenie ~ I'm going to mention that as a possible alternative at least for the early [August/September] and late [May/June] book fairs ~ the kidlet excitement is a big part of the fun, but yesterday was truly beastly hot/humid ~ even the kidlets were reacting to the heat ~

That's generally true, oskar ~ but I'm often surprised at the electronics these kidlets know and have regular access to ~ and, in addition to two fully equipped computer labs that seat 25 or so students at a time and that all classes except for JK have regular access to, there are two mobile carts, each with enough laptops for one classroom at a time, that the middle school classes share ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/28/13 3:14 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

Scholastic does online sales, the kidlets just need a specific school or teacher code. They used to give the teachers a little kickback (credit so they can buy books for the classroom) based on the online sales, too.

PostPosted: 08/28/13 3:25 pm • # 13 
Administrator

Right, Chaos ~ there were "Scholastic Dollars" for teachers shared at our prior book fairs, but not this time ~ don't know why and not sure if they will again be offered in other book fairs ~

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply