It is currently 06/26/24 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 38 posts ]
 Post subject: Miley Cyrus
PostPosted: 08/28/13 2:14 pm • # 1 
Administrator

I'm not a Miley Cyrus fan ~ she did a good job as Hannah Montana, but for me that is where her "talent" began and ended ~ and I did not watch the VMA awards the other night ~ but there is "news" and commentary ad nauseum on Miley's performance, which apparently was highly sexualized and bordered on lewd ~ did anyone see her VMA performance? ~ if yes, what was your reaction?

Sooz

Post subject: Re: Miley Cyrus
PostPosted: 08/28/13 2:20 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

highly sexualized and lude. never thought much of her, tho.

PostPosted: 08/28/13 2:20 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

Didn't see it, but saw pics. I figure she can do what she wants. No different than many of the rap videos or what Madonna has done. Crap like that will come back to haunt her one day. Maybe when she has kids who access it online. :popcorn

PostPosted: 08/28/13 2:30 pm • # 4 
I was going to open a thread about this because I think we are over reacting.

I don't get Miley Cyrus. I didn't get Hannah Montana either. She seemed a brat to me.
The grossest part of her performance for me was NOT the twerking but the white tongue hanging out of her mouth. Drug counselors said white tongue is consistent with MDNA abuse.

Blurred Lines is a really iffy song to begin with. I have no idea why it topped the charts all summer. The unrated video of it is way tackier than Miley's dance. It seems to play into the rape culture instead of anything remotely positive. I guess it has a catchy tune; it's lyrics suck.

One thing I ask of you
Let me be the one you back that ass to
Go, from Malibu, to Paris, boo
Yeah, I had a bitch, but she ain't bad as you
So hit me up when you passing through
I'll give you something big enough to tear your ass in two
Swag on, even when you dress casual
I mean it's almost unbearable
In a hundred years not dare, would I
Pull a Pharside let you pass me by
Nothing like your last guy, he too square for you
He don't smack that ass and pull your hair like that
So I just watch and wait for you to salute
But you didn't pick
Not many women can refuse this pimpin'
I'm a nice guy, but don't get it if you get with me

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/robinthi ... lines.html

PostPosted: 08/29/13 10:08 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Yeah it was obnoxiously hypersexualized, but doesn't deserve all the hype. Reminds me of every overblown TV performance going back to at least Madonna. Brittney Spears, Janet Jackson, Nikki Minaj, Rhianna so what nearly naked pop stars, obnoxious lyrics, its not new and its not amazing and its not newsworthy

PostPosted: 08/29/13 10:13 am • # 6 
Administrator

If they want to be seen as sluts it's their affair.
I couldn't care less.

PostPosted: 08/29/13 10:28 am • # 7 
Editorialist

kat- the guys in that vid are every bit as slutty. i mean, what guy advertizes his dick size in a video? seriously.

PostPosted: 08/29/13 10:39 am • # 8 
Editorialist

Much had been made of her association with Disney. I understand in a way. We would have been morally outraged had our favorite "Mouseketeer", Annette done something like this in her "after" career. Walt Disney himself would have criticized her very publicly and I doubt she would have continued to be popular or successful.

Now we have the likes of Brittney and Miley......sigh. It may not be a big deal in today's culture, but maybe it should be. Hopefully, the pendulum will swing a little more toward the center in respect to how sexuality is portrayed in the public venues, especially those targeting adolescents.

And, yes I know, parents are the first defense............

PostPosted: 08/29/13 12:50 pm • # 9 
Actually I don't think boasting about dick-size is all that uncommon in rap music.

http://guycodeblog.mtv.com/2013/01/30/dick-boasts-rap/

You know that Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell were considered slutty in their day, too. LOL!!!!

PostPosted: 08/29/13 1:49 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

kathyk1024 wrote:
Actually I don't think boasting about dick-size is all that uncommon in rap music.

http://guycodeblog.mtv.com/2013/01/30/dick-boasts-rap/

You know that Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell were considered slutty in their day, too. LOL!!!!

yeah. slutty gets sluttier every generation. and i don't listen to dick rap, so i wouldn't know.

PostPosted: 08/29/13 1:50 pm • # 11 
Administrator

Who's Dick Rap? A Republican?

PostPosted: 08/29/13 2:01 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

You know that Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell were considered slutty in their day, too. LOL!!!![/quote]

Yes I know that. However, they weren't promoting themselves to the 8-12 girls in venues specifically designed to attract that age group. Laugh all you want. If you had a daughter emulating this trash, you'd be a tad more concerned.

PostPosted: 08/29/13 3:12 pm • # 13 
Country music has gotten to the point where a lot of the videos are over-sexed and suggestive. Lots of T&A.

Miley is simply an immature, self-absorbed woman who is now the leader of her family because she's the goose that lays the golden eggs. She's acting out.

I'm more concerned that Robin Thicke is a bigoted, misogynist, if his lyrics are any indication.

PostPosted: 08/29/13 4:53 pm • # 14 
Editorialist

Hey hey Thack!! Good to see you again. :D

The entire culture these days seems to be T&A with misogynistic undertones. Women are objects to be used or abused. Sad.

PostPosted: 08/29/13 6:01 pm • # 15 
roseanne wrote:

Yes I know that. However, they weren't promoting themselves to the 8-12 girls in venues specifically designed to attract that age group. Laugh all you want. If you had a daughter emulating this trash, you'd be a tad more concerned.[/quote]

I don't think she's trash. She outgrew Hannah Montana and now she's got to compete with Gaga, Rhianna, Beyoncé and Katy Perry for the young adult audience. Britney overly-sexualized post the Mickey Mouse Club, too. I remember teaching 5th grade Sunday School when Baby One More Time came out, and the girls there all told me how all that and a bag of chips Britney was.

I am actually more bothered by Blurred Lines than Miley. The men are all dressed while the women are objectified sex objects. Reminds me of Luncheon on the Grass. The lyrics seem to encourage the rape culture.

Last edited by kathyk1024 on 08/29/13 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08/29/13 6:14 pm • # 16 
Administrator

Hi, Thack ~ nice to "see" you ~

I'm old enough to remember the first time Elvis was on the Ed Sullivan show ~ I wasn't even "pre-teen" then ... but I swooned and my parents were trying to not laugh ~ but they were strangely silent, with eyes bugging out, the first time they saw the whole Elvis, and not just from the waist up ~ :b

I'm no prude, but I think what I'm reacting negatively to is the coarseness of Miley and, as Thack noted, the bigoted misogyny of Robin Thicke and the song ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/29/13 7:17 pm • # 17 
Editorialist

What it isn't is art.

PostPosted: 08/29/13 10:23 pm • # 18 
Editorialist

kathyk1024 wrote:
roseanne wrote:

Yes I know that. However, they weren't promoting themselves to the 8-12 girls in venues specifically designed to attract that age group. Laugh all you want. If you had a daughter emulating this trash, you'd be a tad more concerned.

I don't think she's trash. She outgrew Hannah Montana and now she's got to compete with Gaga, Rhianna, Beyoncé and Katy Perry for the young adult audience. Britney overly-sexualized post the Mickey Mouse Club, too. I remember teaching 5th grade Sunday School when Baby One More Time came out, and the girls there all told me how all that and a bag of chips Britney was.

I am actually more bothered by Blurred Lines than Miley. The men are all dressed while the women are objectified sex objects. Reminds me of Luncheon on the Grass. The lyrics seem to encourage the rape culture.[/quote]

there is no way this video is made better with the guys in g-strings.

PostPosted: 08/31/13 1:41 pm • # 19 
I never watch these kind of shows but do like the CMA awards. I just feel sad for Miley. Never been a fan of rap music but never was a fan of Michael Jackson either and I think he was the first singer to ever crab his crotch constantly.

PostPosted: 08/31/13 6:27 pm • # 20 
I think Elvis did that too, Dee.

PostPosted: 09/01/13 1:32 pm • # 21 
Editorialist

I took a day after reading this thread, before posting. I really wanted to think about the issues, and not post in haste.

I haven't seen the miley cirus thing, so I won't comment on it.

As for the Robin Thicke vid....

Ok. the thing I find offensive about the robin thicke vid is not the images. it's the song. so i'll start there.

"You know ya want it..." :puke That is CLICHE rape culture verbage.

Here's the thing, for anyone who has ever had sex, or ever plans to have sex in the future--whether it be with man, woman, someone in between, animal or mineral. Let's all say it one more time.

Ya DON'T know. you don't read minds. no one does. There is no KNOWING someone wants it. So ASK. But that feels awkward you say? TOUGH SHIT. NEWSFLASH: if ya feel too awkward about talking about sex with your partner, there's a really good chance ya don't know them well enough to be fuckin with them anyway. duh. That goes for if they're too drunk to talk about it, too young or mature to talk about it....DUH (i'm really having a hard time not overusing the word DUH. This seems so obvious to me. I have trouble not resenting the fact that it's not more obvious to the general public.)

There are no blurred lines. The line is simple, dark, and obvious. It's consent.

As for the video...ok, i'm going to retrieve my lunch. I'll finish the post in a minute.

PostPosted: 09/01/13 1:52 pm • # 22 
Editorialist

as for the video...

IF I can put the lyrics out of my head (and that's a seriously big if) I don't have tonnes of problems with the video. On it's face, the fact that the men are clothed and the women are not, does shift the power from equal. Not that I have ANY desire to see robin thicke in a g string. But somehow, the men don't come off seeming powerful.

Is this guy not just the most unapologetically nerdy singer on the planet? Is he auditioning for whitest pasty on MTV? I mean, look at him DANCE. He looks like a cross between Frank Sinatra and Mitt Romney. Which is why the Robin thicke has a big dick at the end made me laugh out loud. It doesn't fit with the nerdy guy dancing, or it does, because it's kind of a nerdy bathroom wall way to say it.

So I don't know. At it's worst, it's a couple of men in suits dancing badly with naked women, like a salesman convention at a strip bar. But it's kinda playful. I like the way the women keep strutting by like they aren't seeing the men. And for some reason l like the way they left the one barefoot.

The whole thing seems almost overdone, as if it's making fun of it'self.

If the song wasn't so awful I think I could have lived with the video. If only for the kitch value.

PostPosted: 09/01/13 2:50 pm • # 23 
LOL...some of you folks are showing your age. What kids say today doesn't have the same meaning to them as it does to you. There are no 'rape cliches' in the song.

The same thing has happened from generation to generation. I remember reading some of the comments made about Elvis swinging his pelvis.

Miley sure is getting a lot of mileage out of that one performance, isn't she?

Folks in the US are too high strung and need to let up a bit!

If the music is too loud...YOU'RE TOO OLD....lol

PostPosted: 09/01/13 4:13 pm • # 24 
Editorialist

Actually, that was one of the things that got me about this song. It was so old fashioned. How many teens these days do you know talk about "good girls"? That's something this generation says to dogs, not each other.

and "I know you want it" is rape culture perpetuating. But in a weird old fashioned way. Like, coming from the 50s or 60s. That's why I called it a cliché. I wouldn't be surprised to find that this was a cover of a much older song.

PostPosted: 09/01/13 4:43 pm • # 25 
Editorialist

green apple tree wrote:
I took a day after reading this thread, before posting. I really wanted to think about the issues, and not post in haste.

I haven't seen the miley cirus thing, so I won't comment on it.

let me fix that!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-n ... eo-2223074

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 38 posts ] New Topic Add Reply