All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
 Post subject: PETA's new campaign
PostPosted: 09/01/13 7:20 am • # 1 
Administrator

This rises to the high threshold of leaving me speechless ~ :ey ~ Sooz

Friday, Aug 30, 2013 04:07 PM CDT
PETA: Eating buffalo wings could affect your unborn’s penis size
The animal rights group claims consuming poultry while pregnant may lead to birth defects such as shorter penises.
By Liz Fields

PETA is no longer just concerned for the ethical treatment and well-being of animals; they’re now also worried about your unborn son’s man parts. With the intention of saving two birds with one stone, the animal rights advocacy group recently wrote an open letter to organizers of the National Buffalo Wing Festival urging them to “keep pregnant women out for the sake of their sons’ sex organs.”

The letter, posted on their website, alleges:

Quote:
The latest scientific evidence shows that the sons of pregnant women who consume chicken are more likely to have smaller penises because of a chemical found in the birds’ flesh. And it’s not just boys who are at risk from chicken. Babies, including girls, of mothers who have high cholesterol counts—and chicken is loaded with cholesterol—can be born with blocked arteries.

“Pregnant women may want to think twice before chomping on those chicken wings, or their sons could come up short,” says PETA Associate Director of Campaigns Lindsay Rajt. “Chickens may be little animals, but they suffer in a big way before their wings are hacked off for a stupid contest.”

But are the claims to be believed? According to Women’s Health Magazine, the chemical that PETA refers to is phthalate, which is shown to hinder boys’ reproductive development in a number of ways, if mothers are exposed to high levels during pregnancy. However, phthalates are found in many different sources — in personal care products as well as many other foods, and poultry doesn’t particularly contain the highest levels of the chemical.

“I think any link between eating buffalo wings—even by pregnant women—and the size of their son’s genitals is very tenuous,” concluded Shanna H. Swan, Ph.D., a professor in the department of preventive medicine at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, who conducted the research PETA cites.

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/30/peta_eating_buffalo_wings_could_affect_your_unborns_penis_size/

Post subject: Re: PETA's new campaign
PostPosted: 09/01/13 9:20 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Gotta love this:

“Chickens may be little animals, but they suffer in a big way before their wings are hacked off for a stupid contest.”

They make it sound like they are hacking the wings off while the chicken is alive.

And then there is this....the truth, which doesn't mention chicken wings:

Here are three tips for identifying products that have, or are likely to have, phthalates or another compound that has raised similar concerns and is found in similar products, Bisphenol A.

Read the ingredients. According to the organization Pollution in People, you can identify phthalates in some products by their chemical names, or abbreviations:
DBP (di-n-butyl phthalate) and DEP (diethyl phthalate) are often found in personal care products, including nail polishes, deodorants, perfumes and cologne, aftershave lotions, shampoos, hair gels and hand lotions. (BzBP, see below, is also in some personal care products.)
DEHP (di-(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate or Bis (2-ethylhexyl) phthalate) is used in PVC plastics, including some medical devices.
BzBP (benzylbutyl phthalate) is used in some flooring, car products and personal care products.
DMP (dimethyl phthalate) is used in insect repellent and some plastics (as well as rocket propellant).
Be wary of the term "fragrance," which is used to denote a combination of compounds, possibly including phthatates, which are a subject of recent concern because of studies showing they can mimic certain hormones.
Choose plastics with the recycling code 1, 2 or 5. Recycling codes 3 and 7 are more likely to contain bisphenol A or phthalates.

Read more: Phthalates - How to Avoid Phthalates in 3 Steps - The Daily Green
Follow us: @the_daily_green on Twitter | thedailygreen on Facebook
Visit us at TheDailyGreen.com

PostPosted: 09/01/13 9:36 am • # 3 
Administrator

"Eating buffalo wings could affect your unborn’s penis size"

Imagine that. A girl with a small penis.
Oh, the horror of it.
Now everybody will have to be just a little bit gay or take a vow of chastity.

PostPosted: 09/01/13 11:39 am • # 4 
“Pregnant women may want to think twice before chomping on those chicken wings, or their sons could come up short,”

Oh my...like expectant moms didn't have enough to worry about.. : :s

PostPosted: 09/01/13 12:17 pm • # 5 
How ironic. Eating birds = small peckers

PostPosted: 09/01/13 12:17 pm • # 6 
Administrator

LMAO

PostPosted: 09/01/13 2:51 pm • # 7 
grumpyauntjeanne wrote:
How ironic. Eating birds = small peckers

:\'(

PostPosted: 09/01/13 6:01 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

Most factory farm animals DO suffer miserable lives before we munch on them. That much is true.

PostPosted: 09/01/13 6:35 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

I suppose Chaos......as much as a farm animal can have a "happy life". Free to marry, settle down and have kids who drive them nuts. :b

I don't condone abuse, but I don't also advocate that we make precious pets out of them or let them roam free either. We would soon be hunting them down to cull the herds, panicking over diseases they may spread (either in their feces or in the meat) and bemoaning the loss of flora that they've destroyed when foraging. It is what it is now and I don't think that will ever change.

There has to be a middle ground. Humane treatment until we kill them? Much like prisoners on death row? Hard to do when the demand is so high.

Family farms to supply their own meats and the animals are treated well? Not feasible in today's concrete world. Nothing will be perfect unless we all become vegans, if the freed animals don't eat all of the wheat and veggies. :b

And.....do you really want to eat free range chicken? They eat beatles, worms and all sorts of yucky things. LOL! Free range anything these days stands a chance of ingesting chemicals and such that didn't exist at one time. Just think about the fish in polluted lakes and rivers. :

PostPosted: 09/01/13 7:02 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

The latest scientific evidence shows that the sons of pregnant women who consume chicken are more likely to have smaller penises because of a chemical found in the birds’ flesh.

Well, there you have it! That explains Republicans. With this and the pea sized brains grown from stem cells, you have the perfect recipe. :angel

PostPosted: 09/01/13 7:10 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

Factory farming isn't about maximising production, its about maximising profit. We could easily feed ourselves without chickens or other or other animals in such inhumane conditions.

PostPosted: 09/01/13 7:14 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

Please explain how

PostPosted: 09/01/13 9:53 pm • # 13 
Editorialist

I didn't say it wouldn't be more expensive though ...

Take chickens for a start. My ex-wife's father used to own a chicken factory farm. He only had about 5 acres, but of that the actual sheds for the chickens were less than 1/4 of an acre. He could have easily produced almost as many chickens by using the sheds just for shelter and allowing them to roam freely during the day.

But chickens who are allowed to roam freely like that don't grow as quickly and its harder to regulate their diets and intake of things like antibiotics. Your turn-over of birds is reduced, so to gain the same income you have to charge more for them.

PostPosted: 09/01/13 10:30 pm • # 14 
Editorialist

Laying hens on egg farms spend their lives in a space about the size of a piece of notebook paper. How about starting with enough space to turn around, lay down or flap wings? I don't think that's too much to ask.

PostPosted: 09/01/13 11:57 pm • # 15 
Editorialist

idiocracy seems less and less fictional every day.

PostPosted: 09/02/13 8:02 am • # 16 
Editorialist

No Chaos, it isn't. My argument is that, with Cattleman's description above, there would never be enough chickens for the demand. The only thing that might help would be to shut down the export side of the meat industry and I can't see that happening. He said it quite well when he said it's all about profit. Isn't everything these days?

PostPosted: 09/02/13 8:35 am • # 17 
Editorialist

Here are a couple of links regarding chickens. The thing is, I haven't stopped eating eggs, even though I knew some of this, so I am part of the problem. I haven't stopped eating meat either. That is the only thing, I think, that will halt these practices outside of government regulations. The first describes the horror of many corporate egg farms. The second, from Minnesota, describes how their hens are treated humanely.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-fri ... 58525.html

http://www.mnchicken.org/facts/

PostPosted: 09/02/13 8:37 am • # 18 
Administrator

The second, from Minnesota, describes how their hens are treated humanely.

And there's the problem. They need to be treated chickenly.

PostPosted: 09/02/13 2:32 pm • # 19 
Editorialist

My argument is that, with Cattleman's description above, there would never be enough chickens for the demand.

Why ever not? You can grow just as many chickens the way I described as you can through factory farming.

Maybe I need to generalise my point. Modern agriculture isn't about trying to maximise food production, its about maximising profit production.

In the case of chicken factory farming the aim isn't to maximise the number of chickens you produce, its to produce them as cheaply as possible.

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ] New Topic Add Reply