PostPosted: 09/05/13 4:49 pm • # 1 
Should have probably posted this last night. :o

Post subject: Re: Happy New Year, Sooz
PostPosted: 09/05/13 6:48 pm • # 2 

Why just to Sooz?! Why not to me too?!

PostPosted: 09/05/13 6:59 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Thanks, jeanne ~ my sister is here from California this week and we had a nice family dinner with mom, 2d sister, and her kids last night ~ my mom was happy with all of us at the same table ... and getting along ~ :b

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/05/13 7:05 pm • # 4 
Administrator

SciFiGuy wrote:
Why just to Sooz?! Why not to me too?!

Don't take it personally, SciFi ~ jeanne and I have known each other for a long time now and I often comment about being a [non-observant] Jewish princess woman ~

And a happy, healthy new year to you!

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/05/13 7:28 pm • # 5 
also, sci-fi, your profile says you are an atheist. I didn't realize atheists celebrate Jewish holy days since I am an atheist and I don't

PostPosted: 09/05/13 7:30 pm • # 6 
sooz06 wrote:
Thanks, jeanne ~ my sister is here from California this week and we had a nice family dinner with mom, 2d sister, and her kids last night ~ my mom was happy with all of us at the same table ... and getting along ~ :b

Sooz

That's really cool, sooz ..... all together.

PostPosted: 09/05/13 7:42 pm • # 7 

Thanks, Jeanne!

Well, I'm an atheist, but I'm of the Jewish heritage and I still identify as being a non-practicing Jew. Besides, the Jewish New Year is not truly a religious holiday, any more than January 1 is.

PostPosted: 09/05/13 8:21 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Well, SciFi ~ my mother and our former rabbi would both disagree with your last sentence ~ Rosh Hashanah is still believed [at least by liberally reformed Jews] to be one of the two "high" Jewish holidays, followed 10 days later by Yom Kippur, which is the "other half" ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/05/13 10:20 pm • # 9 

In any event, I think a better topic title would be "Happy New Year to our Jewish members!" That way, no one unintentionally would be left out.

The Jewish New Year appears to be extra early this year, but it's always the same date in the Jewish calendar: the new moon -- but the rules of the Hebrew calendar are designed such that the first day of Rosh Hashanah will never occur on the first, fourth, or sixth day of the Jewish week (i.e., Sunday, Wednesday, or Friday).

And this year it's the earliest that it can be (in relation to the Western calendar). It hasn't been this early since 1899.

http://www.cleveland.com/religion/index ... _holy.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Jewish High Holy Days this year are close to a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence.

Rosh Hashanah, the start of the Jewish new year 5774, began at sundown on Wednesday, marking the earliest date it has arrived since 1899 -- and the earliest possible date on which the holiday can occur. It will not happen so early again until 2089.

The holiday started the 10-day period of reflection that culminates with Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, which begins at sundown on Sept. 13 -- its earliest possible date.

While the holidays usually start later in September or early in October, they fall on the same dates every year on the Hebrew calendar, says the Spertus Institute for Jewish Learning.

Their placement varies widely on the Gregorian, or Western, calendar because the Gregorian calendar is solar and the Hebrew calendar is lunisolar, meaning it is regulated by the movement of both the moon and sun.

This year's calendar placement also means early dates for the holidays of Sukkot, starting Sept. 19, and Hanukkah, whose eight days begin on Nov. 28 -- which is also Thanksgiving Day in the United States.

PostPosted: 09/06/13 10:22 am • # 10 
Ha. I know sooz and love sooz. I wished her a happy new year because I know she and her family do like to celebrate the Jewish holy days. I will not apologize for that. It should not offend anyone that I did that.

As for you, sci-fi. I did take the time to look and see if your profile mentioned Jewish. It didn't. Your posts have shown that you don't even know much about the Jewish holy days. There would simply be no reason I would include you in my good wishes for the Jewish holidays.

I always think it important to wish this for sooz for another reason. She is our leader. We are here in this group because of her efforts along with the efforts of some other good people. Year after year she makes sure that there are threads recognizing the holidays like Christmas. It is important to me that we acknowledge that she has her own days to celebrate and that we care.

There is a neat thing about these boards, though. If you don't like someone's title, you can always make a new thread of your own. :D

PostPosted: 09/06/13 2:36 pm • # 11 

Hahaha. I know a lot about the Jewish holidays. I was Bar Mitzvahed.

Anyway, I think threads on boards should be directed to all the members so no one feels left out or excluded.. If someone wishes to send just one person a private message, they can send them a PM.

PostPosted: 09/06/13 2:37 pm • # 12 
Administrator

This board is NOT about you.
There is no censorship in any way.

PostPosted: 09/06/13 2:56 pm • # 13 
SciFiGuy wrote:
Hahaha. I know a lot about the Jewish holidays. I was Bar Mitzvahed.

Anyway, I think threads on boards should be directed to all the members so no one feels left out or excluded.. If someone wishes to send just one person a private message, they can send them a PM.

Well, all I can go by is your posts and they didn't show much knowledge.

I posted to sooz for the reasons mentioned and so others could join in the good wishes if they chose to. I did not mean to send her a private message. If I did I would have emailed her or even called her. I meant for it to represent the group feelings. Little did I know we had a victim wannabe in our group. Amazing how even a simple happy new year can turn into an argument. Many threads on boards have nothing to do with me and may even exclude me in the sense that they are different from my experience or whatever. I simply don't respond or respond from my perspective. I don't expect anyone to filter their threads according to what may offend me. As I said, I will not apologize for wishing sooz a happy new year. If that offends you...................... :zzz

PostPosted: 09/06/13 3:10 pm • # 14 
Happy New Year!!!!

PostPosted: 09/06/13 4:01 pm • # 15 
Administrator

I had to look it up... Rosh Hoshana (sp?).
My education is seriously lacking.
Best to ya, sooz.

PostPosted: 09/06/13 6:31 pm • # 16 
Editorialist

To whom it may apply: Happy New Year!

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply