It is currently 06/28/24 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: 09/08/13 5:22 pm • # 1 
How many 107 year olds are there in the world? And lets arm them all, too, because everyone should have a gun. The police could not think of anything else but to shoot him. Good Lord. This article is really poorly written. CNN) -- A man who police said was 107 years old was killed in a confrontation with SWAT officers Saturday night.

Police were called to a home in Pine Bluff, Arkansas, where suspect Monroe Isadore was.

"When they arrived, they were able to determine that an aggravated assault had occurred against two people at the residence," Lt. David E. Price, a Pine Bluff police spokesman, said in a statement.

The two victims were led out of the house.

It was not clear what role the suspect had in the aggravated assaults or what they were.

When officers approached a bedroom where Isadore was hiding, he fired through the door, authorities said.

None of the police officers was hit by the gunfire. They retreated to a safer area and called for additional help, including SWAT officers who started negotiations with the suspect.

SWAT officers slipped a camera into the room where Isadore was holed up and saw he was armed with a handgun, Price said.

After unsuccessful negotiations, officers slipped gas into the room through a window, he said, and Isadore fired rounds at them.

The officers broke the bedroom door and hurled in a distraction device, and Isadore fired at them again, according to the spokesman's statement.

Officers returned fire, killing him.

It's unclear what distraction device was used. No more information was immediately available. CNN called the police department, but could not reach anyone.

In 2010, there were about 53,000 people over age 100 in the United States, according to the latest Census numbers. Only 8% of them were older than 104.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/08/justice/a ... ?hpt=hp_t2

PostPosted: 09/09/13 8:42 am • # 2 
Administrator

Another awful story ~ but I'm curious about your "The police could not think of anything else but to shoot him." comment, Kath ~ while I know some cops over-react, IF the story played out as reported, they did try other things while being shot at before returning fire ~ what would you suggest they should do differently?

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/10/13 8:53 am • # 3 
Yesterday morning when I was getting ready for school Hubby told me, "Your mother wants to talk to you about Nazis." She complained about Nazis on TV all the time and she never watched Nazis 50 years ago and doesn't want to do it now. She has not been getting adequate sleep while her regular home health aide is on vacation. She slept all afternoon and soundly last evening so now she is quite lucid.

This guy was nervous about moving to a new residence. He was reportedly an avid churchgoer and a nice old guy. The whole incident from start to finish was 3 hours. The granddaughter and house owner were safe outside of the residence. I don't think they had to rush in and they definitely should have had his minister talk to him. He was 107. Try all the options before mowing him down.

PostPosted: 09/10/13 9:49 am • # 4 
Kathy wrote This guy was nervous about moving to a new residence. He was reportedly an avid churchgoer and a nice old guy. The whole incident from start to finish was 3 hours. The granddaughter and house owner were safe outside of the residence. I don't think they had to rush in and they definitely should have had his minister talk to him. He was 107. Try all the options before mowing him down.

I agree: if no one was in danger, the police should have "waited him out"--the worse that could've happened happened anyway--the guy ended up dead (suicide by police?)....

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply