All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
PostPosted: 09/12/13 4:39 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Kath, is this the boardwalk you visit? ~ Sooz

Fire rages on Jersey Shore, spreads to boardwalk

[Sooz says there's a very scary but nonpostable video clip at the end link]

By Lauren DiSanto, NBCPhiladelphia.com

Flames are shooting from the boardwalk in Seaside Park after a fire started at Kohr's Ice Cream shop.

The five-alarm fire appears to be getting larger, as video shows the smoke and flames shooting from shops along the boardwalk, between Stockton and Farragut Avenues.

A look at this Seaside Park Cam web page shows the smoke billowing in the background.

NBC10 Jersey Shore Bureau reporter Ted Greenberg talked with the Seaside Park Police Chief who says that several businesses and the boardwalk are on fire.

Multiple fire companies are on the scene, and authorities say that wind is creating a challenge for firefighters.

There have been explosions within the buildings. No injuries are being reported.

This section of the boardwalk, that's in front of Funtown Pier, was not destroyed during Superstorm Sandy.

Kohr's Brothers first opened on the boardwalk in Coney Island in 1919. It's since expanded up and down the East Coast in ten states and is a well-known ice cream shop at the Jersey Shore.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09/12/20461334-fire-rages-on-jersey-shore-spreads-to-boardwalk?lite

PostPosted: 09/12/13 5:34 pm • # 2 
No, this is up the road near Toms River. Horrible fire.

My boardwalk is Ocean City. They have Kohr's Ice Cream shops, too.

PostPosted: 09/13/13 6:59 am • # 3 
Editorialist

That's the boardwalk we'd usually visit.

What cracked me up was all the talk of the firefighters not being able to get enough water to put the fire out when there's an entire OCEAN nearby. I'm guessing that salt water would damage equipment?

But we have mega-military bases nearby, I can't figure out why they didn't use planes to DROP water or foam on the fire from above, like they would for a forest fire.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply