It is currently 04/28/24 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: 09/26/13 4:02 pm • # 1 
Administrator

My hatred of bigotry runs much deeper than my liking of Barilla products [which has been my #1 pasta choice for years] ~ :angry ~ Sooz

Head of Barilla pasta company: Gays can eat someone else’s pasta
By David Ferguson
Thursday, September 26, 2013 11:43 EDT

Guido Barilla, president of the family-owned Barilla pasta company, said in a radio interview on Wednesday that his company only supports “the traditional family” and that LGBT people “can go eat someone else’s pasta.” According to John Aravosis at Americablog, Barilla has since backtracked on his remarks somewhat, but many LGBT people around the world are reacting angrily to the slam by the head of the massive, global brand.

“We won’t include gays in our ads, because we like the traditional family,” Barilla told an interviewer. “If gays don’t like it, they can always eat another brand of pasta. Everyone is free to do what they want, provided it doesn’t bother anyone else.”

Barilla said today that he meant no ill will toward LGBT people with his remarks, saying in a statement, “With reference to statements made yesterday, I apologize if my words have generated controversy or misunderstanding, or if they have hurt the sensibilities of some people. In the interview I simply wanted to highlight the central role of the woman in the family.”

He also said that he has “the utmost respect for any person, without distinction of any kind,” and “the greatest respect for gays and for the freedom of expression of anyone.”

Reuters reported that rights groups are calling for a boycott of Barilla’s pastas, sauces and other foods.

Aurelio Mancuso of Equality Italia called Barilla’s remarks an “offensive provocation” and added that “(w)e accept the invitation from the Barilla owner to not eat his pasta.”

Gay Italian minister of parliament Alessandro Zan tweeted, “You can’t mess around with consumers, including gay ones.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/09/26/head-of-barilla-pasta-company-gays-can-eat-someone-elses-pasta/

PostPosted: 09/26/13 4:07 pm • # 2 
Administrator

These so-called "captains of industry" don't seem to be the brightest bulbs on the tree.
Might 'splain the economic meltdown. ;)

PostPosted: 09/26/13 4:31 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

PostPosted: 11/05/13 8:48 am • # 4 
Administrator

Funny how plunging sales "encourages" the rethinking of blatant and offensive bigotry, no? ~ not sure I'll ever buy a Barilla product again ... but that definitely will NOT happen until Barilla proves itself to understand that inclusion is a mindset, not just a "massive damage control" sales pitch ~ Sooz

Barilla Pasta Launches Massive Damage Control Effort To Be More LGBT-Inclusive
By Zack Ford on November 4, 2013 at 11:27 am

Back in September, the chairman of Barilla Pasta, Guido Barilla, criticized same-sex adoption, asserting that the Italian company would never feature gay couples in their ads, and if gay people don’t like it, they can eat someone else’s pasta. Barilla followed that up with a non-apology, admitting at least that he has “a lot to learn about the lively debate concerning the evolution of the family.” It seems the company is now following through on its learning, announcing this week that it is taking several big steps to be more inclusive.

Among the changes is the creation of a Diversity & Inclusion Board that will include external experts and advocates who help Barilla improve the company’s culture with regard to “sexual orientation, gender balance, disability rights, and multicultural and intergenerational issues.” Among those who have joined that board is veteran LGBT activist David Mixner, who said he was impressed by the chairman’s willingness “to listen and learn from LGBT community leaders.”

Barilla has also appointed its first Chief Diversity Officer and announced that it will participate in the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index (CEI), which assesses companies’ protections and benefits for LGBT employees. In addition, the company will launch a global video contest in 2014, encouraging individuals to portray diversity, inclusion, and equality through the “multifaceted nature of pasta.”

Meanwhile, Chick-fil-A has done absolutely nothing to compensate for its president’s incendiary comments or its history of giving to anti-LGBT organizations.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2013/11/04/2883191/barilla-pasta-launches-massive-damage-control-effort-lgbt-inclusive/

PostPosted: 11/05/13 9:32 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Barilla *was* my favorite brand of pasta. But when this story broke, I joined the boycott.

Guess what? I've found other brands that are just as good and I see no reason to change back. (Unless those brands fling poo in some way.)

PostPosted: 11/05/13 10:51 am • # 6 
Administrator

Wait for it: RAINBOW PASTA!

Oh, it's been done, already.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply