It is currently 05/18/24 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/08/13 10:24 am • # 1 
Administrator

My dad was always on me because I never carried a lot of cash ~ that's because while a teen and when I first started working, I just didn't have a lot of cash ~ but he wanted me to tuck $50 or so in my wallet and just leave it there "in case" ~ his rationale, which has been proven true literally thousands of time for others, is that if someone tried to rob me and got little or nothing, the odds of the robber hurting me rose drastically ~ while I understand and strongly support the thought-process of wanting to limit rape, I see the same principle easily applying to attempted rape ~ :g ~ Sooz

Company claims new anti-rape underwear would thwart would-be assailants with locks and straps
By Travis Gettys
Thursday, November 7, 2013 9:23 EST

A New York-based company is hoping to raise $50,000 to market anti-rape underwear for women.

AR Wear uses cut-proof, lockable straps to fix the form-fitting underwear onto a woman’s pelvic area to thwart would-be sexual assailants.

The company stresses that “rape is about as wrong as it gets,” and points out that “the only one responsible for a rape is the rapist,” but its promotional website says the product is intended to provide women and girls more power to control the outcome of a sexual assault.

“We wanted to offer some peace of mind in situations that cause feelings of apprehension, such as going out on a blind date, taking an evening run, ‘clubbing’, traveling in unfamiliar countries, and any other activity that might make one anxious about the possibility of an assault,” the company says.

Martial arts training, pepper spray and stun guns are only effective when the potential victim is alert and bold, the company says, and may not be possible if she’s under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

The underwear uses a waist strap that cinches tightly closed and unfastened using a two-point, “clock hands” style lock.

The waist, thighs and central panels are protected with specially designed, cut-resistant straps and webbing.

The waist strap prevents the underwear from being pulled down, and thigh straps prevent leg openings from being lifted or shifted to the sides by someone else.

The company has raised nearly $40,000 toward its goal using the crowd-sourced Indiegogo site, with 16 days remaining in its funding campaign.

Similar products, including running and traveling shorts, are also in development, and the company hopes a prototype for the underwear will be ready by July.

The company admits the product won’t solve the problem of violence against women, but they hope AR Wear will send a clear message to would-be assailants that the wearer has not given consent to sexual activity.

Watch this promotional video for AR Wear: [Sooz says video accessible via end link]

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/11/07/company-raising-money-to-develop-and-market-anti-rape-underwear-for-women/

PostPosted: 11/08/13 12:01 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

If you think the line-up for the ladies' room is long now, just wait until the women have to start strapping and unstrapping themselves into these things.

PostPosted: 11/08/13 12:23 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Cathetor is optional at extra cost. ;)

PostPosted: 11/08/13 1:46 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

Sooz has a really good point. Since rape is an act of violence I would fully expect a very violent response from a person who is thwarted by one of these. It's just like we are told that we will suffer more damage if we try to fight back, well, this is fighting back and will likely have unintended consequences.

PostPosted: 11/08/13 2:11 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

I expect the outer fringe of the fundamentalist groups to latch onto this to keep their daughters pure too. :

I agree that it could make a bad situation worse. The rapist, all set to get satisfied, resorts to other kinds of violence. After all, he's all worked up and wanting release of some kind. Also, unless the woman's mouth is also sealed..... Vaginal or anal penetration is not the only form of rape.

PostPosted: 11/08/13 9:37 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

how about giving men sensitivity training instead?

PostPosted: 11/09/13 10:54 am • # 7 
Editorialist

macroscopic wrote:
how about giving men sensitivity training instead?

Thank you!

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply