It is currently 05/19/24 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/10/13 10:18 am • # 1 

Over 10,000 people have died in the Philippines from one of the largest storms in history. Super Typhoon Haiyan was 3 1/2 times stronger than Hurricane Katrina! I have two friends in the Philippines. I haven't heard from either one since the storm. I hope they are okay and aren't responding only because the power is down.

Image Reuters - Sunday, November 10, 2013

Survivors 'walk like zombies' after Philippine typhoon kills estimated 10,000

(Reuters) - One of the most powerful storms ever recorded killed at least 10,000 people in the central Philippines, a senior police official said on Sunday, with huge waves sweeping away coastal villages and devastating one of the main cities in the region.

Super typhoon Haiyan destroyed about 70 to 80 percent of structures in its path as it tore through Leyte province on Friday, said police chief superintendent Elmer Soria, before weakening and heading west for Vietnam.

As rescue workers struggled to reach ravaged villages along the coast, where the death toll is as yet unknown, survivors foraged for food or searched for lost loved ones.

"People are walking like zombies looking for food," said Jenny Chu, a medical student in Leyte. "It's like a movie."

Most of the deaths appear to have been caused by surging sea water strewn with debris that many said resembled a tsunami, leveling houses and drowning hundreds of people in one of the worst disasters to hit the typhoon-prone Southeast Asian nation.

The national government and disaster agency have not confirmed the latest estimate of deaths, a sharp increase from initial estimates on Saturday of at least 1,200 killed by a storm whose sustained winds reached 195 miles per hour (313 km per hour) with gusts of up to 235 mph.

More > > >

Image CNN - Sunday, November 10, 2013

Typhoon Haiyan: In hard-hit Tacloban, children ripped from arms

By Andrew Stevens and Paula Hancocks, CNN

Tacloban, Philippines (CNN)

Children torn from arms

People who had walked, sometimes for hours, to the relief station at the Tacloban airport told stories of the human cost.

Marvin Isanan said three of his daughters -- ages 8, 13 and 15 -- were swept from his arms by the storm surge. He and his wife, Loretta Isanan, had found the bodies of the two younger children.

"Only the eldest one is missing," Marvin Isanan said through tears. "I hope she's alive."

A woman at the airport said she escaped the water by climbing onto her roof. From there, she watched bodies float by.

Authorities have only estimates of the deaths. Gwendolyn Pang, secretary general of the Philippine Red Cross, estimated that 1,000 people died in Tacloban and an additional 200 on the nearby island of Samar.

The airport now houses a makeshift morgue. Further inland, a CNN crew found a small chapel being used to house nine covered bodies -- five of them children.

The scene from the air

CNN's Ivan Watson traveled by plane from Manila to Tacloban with civil aviation officials Sunday.

"On approach, you could see entire forests of palm trees that have been flattened in the hills around Tacloban," he said.

Watson saw flooded villages and devastated coastlines, as well as a warehouse district where every roof seemed to be missing.

William Hotchkiss, director general of the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines and a former air force commander, said, "I'm 70 years old, and I've never seen anything like this before."

More > > >

Last edited by SciFiGuy on 11/10/13 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11/10/13 10:26 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Holy crap, that's a LOT!
We have a large Phillipino segment here. I can't imagine the worry and/or grief they are going through. :\'(

Hope you hear from your friends soon, SciFi.

PostPosted: 11/10/13 10:30 am • # 3 
Editorialist

this is what happens in a 3rd world country when Katrina hits.

PostPosted: 11/10/13 11:45 am • # 4 
Administrator

Nah, no climate change. This stuff happens very day.
God's pissed off is all it is.

PostPosted: 11/10/13 10:13 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

Wow, this is such a horrible disaster. Those 10,000 estimated dead are only a count of one major city. The final tally may be much, much higher. I can't imagine how the survivors are feeling right now. :(

PostPosted: 11/11/13 9:04 am • # 6 
I have been through some big hurricanes with high winds. However, I can not imagine what it's like to have sustained winds at 195 mph and gusts over 235. You can see how the newspeople get blown around with 100 mph. Double that. A beautiful little baby was born to a woman who had to try to swim through the surge and cling to a pole. They are both ok. Amazing strength and will to live. I'm glad we have sent help and hope we give them all they need. They have such a long road ahead.

PostPosted: 11/13/13 10:10 pm • # 7 

Both of my friends who live in the Philippines are okay.

One wrote:

Quote:
I am not affected by the typhoon Yolanda but I want to say A lot of thanks to all the nations who has the soft hearted to help those who are victims of the typhoon,, thank you so much that you never leave us,, thank you@,,,All Nation who supporting the Philippines from typhoon,, i love you all.

The other wrote:

Quote:
Head's UP keep moving. Image

PostPosted: 11/14/13 6:30 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
Nah, no climate change. This stuff happens very day.
God's pissed off is all it is.

Yeah! It's God punishing the Philippines because Hawaii voted for gay marriage.

(In addition to government relief, the Canadian government is matching dollar for dollar contributions to charities providing relief. For my money, the Canadian Red Cross is the most reliable and has the least administration costs.)

PostPosted: 11/14/13 6:48 pm • # 9 
Administrator

grumpyauntjeanne wrote:
I have been through some big hurricanes with high winds. However, I can not imagine what it's like to have sustained winds at 195 mph and gusts over 235. You can see how the newspeople get blown around with 100 mph. Double that. A beautiful little baby was born to a woman who had to try to swim through the surge and cling to a pole. They are both ok. Amazing strength and will to live. I'm glad we have sent help and hope we give them all they need. They have such a long road ahead.

Try it aboard a sailboat. It's rather exciting.

PostPosted: 11/15/13 12:29 am • # 10 
Quote:
It's God punishing the Philippines because Hawaii voted for gay marriage.

Actually, Hawaiians didn't vote on it. The bill was passed by the Hawaiian state legislature.

PostPosted: 11/15/13 12:37 am • # 11 
Editorialist

SciFiGuy wrote:
Quote:

Actually, Hawaiians didn't vote on it. The bill was passed by the Hawaiian state legislature.

Still the Hawaiians fault.

PostPosted: 11/15/13 3:14 am • # 12 
Administrator

SciFiGuy wrote:
Quote:

And who are themembers of the Hawaiian state legislature? Irishmen?

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply