It is currently 05/19/24 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/15/13 10:22 am • # 1 
Administrator

Lying to kids is a new low ... even for Boehner ~ if I had children, I'd be thrilled for them to be this brave ~ and I hope he suffered acute indigestion for hours/days ~ :angry ~ Sooz

TPM LIVEWIRE
Young Immigration Reform Advocates Confront Boehner At Breakfast (VIDEO)
Caitlin MacNeal – November 13, 2013, 11:33 AM EST

Two children of immigrants Wednesday morning confronted House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) while he was eating at Pete's Diner, his favorite Capitol Hill breakfast spot.

Carmen Lima and Jennifer Martinez, activists with the Fair Immigration Reform Movement, asked Boehner to push for a vote on immigration reform in the House.

Boehner assured the two girls that he was still working to push immigration reform through.

"I'm trying to find some way to get this thing done," he said. "It's, as you know, not easy -- not going to be an easy path forward. But, I've made it clear since the day after the election that it's time to get this done."

Lima, whose father is an illegal immigrant who could be deported, told Boehner her story.

"How would you feel if you had to tell your kids at the age of 10 that you were never coming home?" she asked.

"That wouldn't be good," Boehner responded.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) responded Wednesday to Boehner's comment that passing immigration reform is not easy.

Quote:
Nancy Pelosi ✔ @NancyPelosi
Follow
Actually it is easy, @SpeakerBoehner. With 190 cosponsors on H.R.15 and 28 Rs vowing support, we have the votes to pass #immigration reform.
10:04 AM - 13 Nov 2013

Boehner told reporters in a press conference Wednesday that the House would not be taking up the Senate immigration reform bill.

Watch the video, posted by Change Nation:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/boehner-assures-children-of-immigrants-he-is-still-working-on-immigration-reform-video

PostPosted: 11/15/13 10:37 am • # 2 
Administrator

Not only brave kids, but smart too ~ I wonder if Boehner's "legacy" will include that even kids recognized him as a liar ~ :ey ~ emphasis/bolding below is in the original ~ Sooz

Teens Confront Speaker Boehner On Immigration Reform
By Esther Yu-Hsi Lee on November 13, 2013 at 10:57 am

On Wednesday morning, two teenagers from the pro-reform group Fair Immigration Reform Movement Youth In Action, approached House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) at a diner to tell him that their families had been separated by the broken immigration system. Carmen Lima, 13, and Jennifer Martinez, 16, asked Boehner to advance immigration reform and he responded that although he was committed to moving the bill, it would not “be an easy path forward.”

Quote:
CARMEN: You’re a father right?… So how would you feel if you had to tell your kids at the age of ten that you were never coming home?

BOEHNER: That wouldn’t be good.

CARMEN: That’s what happened to me. I thought I was never going to see my dad again because [inaudible]. And I cried so hard when my mom told me that, at the age of ten.

BOEHNER: Well, I’m trying to find some way to get this thing done. It’s, uh, you know, not easy—not gonna be an easy path forward. But I’ve made it clear since the day after the election that I’m going to get this done.

CARMEN: So we can count on your vote for immigration reform?

BOEHNER: I will try to find a way to move the bill forward. Thanks.

Watch it. [Sooz says it's the same clip that's in the op]

Mere hours later during a press conference, Boehner said, “We have no intention of ever going to conference on the Senate bill … I want us to deal with this issue, but I want to deal with it in a commonsense step by step way as we develop the principles, we’ll figure out how we’ll move ahead.”

The confrontation is just one of many efforts led by immigrant advocates to pressure Congress to act on immigration reform in recent days. Some 50 young immigrant children, who have at least one parent deported, will attempt to talk to Boehner on Thursday at his Capitol Hill office. And on Wednesday, faith, civil rights leaders, and other immigrant advocates around the country began fasting to protest inaction on immigration reform.

An Obama administration directive from August advised federal immigration authorities to consider family ties and whether undocumented immigrants are low-priority when they are detained. Yet the reality is that low-priority parents are caught up in deportation proceedings as well– at least 45 percent of all immigrants deported in 2012 have no criminal record at all. In Illinois alone, 56,000 children were left without a parent due to deportation in the last six years.

Update: House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) responded in a tweet, “Actually it is easy, @SpeakerBoehner. With 190 cosponsors on H.R.15 and 28 Rs vowing support, we have the votes to pass #immigration reform.”

Update: White House Press Secretary Jay Carney also responded, “I think [reform] could happen this year … Obviously, the House is the obstacle on the opportunity, and we, as I said, believe that if there were the will in the House to act quickly and decisively on comprehensive immigration reform, it could be achieved and it would receive a broad bipartisan vote in the affirmative.”

Update: Carmen, one of the two teens who confronted Boehner, responded in a statement, “I didn’t know what to expect from the Speaker when I told him I could lose my father to deportation … But I did not expect he would lie to me and that’s what it feels like now.” Jennifer voiced similar sentiments, “It now seems like that was because he already had decided not to make good on his pledge to fix our broken immigration system.”

http://thinkprogress.org/immigration/2013/11/13/2933151/teenagers-confront-boehner-diner/

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply