It is currently 03/28/24 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 34 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/17/13 6:26 pm • # 26 
Editorialist

To anyone else who is even slightly Interested.

Mea Culpa. I over-reacted.

I'm old and tired and sick. I have yet another appointment with the doctor today for some unexplained reason, just when I thought I could see a little bit of light on the horizon. I hate being prodded and poked, having needles stuck into me and being told what I can and can't eat and generally pushed around by people with "zero tolerance" minds.

In other words, I'm grumpy. I'm very grumpy, I could even be said to be thoroughly pissed off. Sometimes that spills over into areas where it shouldn't.

Luckily my wife puts up with it, hopefully you will as well.

PostPosted: 11/17/13 6:32 pm • # 27 
Editorialist

Cattleman wrote:
As I said, it wasn't your comments at all John. I thought they were valid points and I responded to them as such.

Sorry Cattleman. I obviously misunderstood.

PostPosted: 11/17/13 7:11 pm • # 28 
Cattleman wrote:
To anyone else who is even slightly Interested.

Mea Culpa. I over-reacted.

I'm old and tired and sick. I have yet another appointment with the doctor today for some unexplained reason, just when I thought I could see a little bit of light on the horizon. I hate being prodded and poked, having needles stuck into me and being told what I can and can't eat and generally pushed around by people with "zero tolerance" minds.

In other words, I'm grumpy. I'm very grumpy, I could even be said to be thoroughly pissed off. Sometimes that spills over into areas where it shouldn't.

Luckily my wife puts up with it, hopefully you will as well.

Understandable, Cattleman. I hope things ease up for you soon.

PostPosted: 11/17/13 7:21 pm • # 29 
Administrator

I echo jeanne's comments, CM ~ :fl

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/17/13 7:38 pm • # 30 
Editorialist

I hope things improve Cattleman. Take care.

PostPosted: 11/18/13 9:28 am • # 31 
Editorialist

Sorry Cattleman. Hope things get better for you soon!

PostPosted: 11/22/13 7:16 pm • # 32 
I'm beginning to think "intelligent life" is an oxymoron. :(

PostPosted: 12/22/13 1:57 pm • # 33 

As you may know, astronomers tell us that some galaxies are more light years away from us than the age of the universe.

For that to be so, then that would mean that they are moving many times faster than the speed of light. Yet astronomers also tell us that nothing can go faster than the speed of light. An unexplained mystery. (Well, to be precise, what they say is that nothing can move faster than the speed of light within the Universe; but the Universe itself appears to be expanding many times faster than the speed of light. Hmm.)

Well, anyway, I've had an epiphany of sorts.

You know those lamps that cast stars on the ceiling? (Light from a light bulb passes through holes in the lampshade projecting "stars" onto the ceiling.)

Well, what if the distant Universe is similar to the lamp? You know those super distant galaxies that astronomers tell us are lightyears further away than the age of the universe? Well, what it they're not really there?! What if they just appear to be there? What if there is some sort of natural phenomena that scatters light in some manner, projecting light from galaxies not too distant outwards, making them appear to be thousands or millions of times further away than they actually are? Afterall, it makes more sense that light from the objects would travel at such huge speeds to reach super distances than the objects themselves.

PostPosted: 12/22/13 5:17 pm • # 34 
Editorialist

The whole point is that they don't "appear to us" in any way at all. We can't "see" them by any means at our disposal.

And they don't have to be moving at a speed greater than the speed of light at all. The limiting factor isn't their speed, its time. When we are looking at things a long way away we are looking back through time. If we look far enough we run into the beginnings of time itself. We can't see anything before that.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 34 posts ] New Topic Add Reply