It is currently 05/19/24 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/18/13 11:41 am • # 1 
Posted by
CNN's Ashley Killough

Updated 10:12 a.m. ET, 11/18/2013

(CNN) - One day after a Cheney family disagreement over same-sex marriage burst onto the public scene, Liz Cheney argued Monday she treats her sister, Mary, who's married to a woman, with compassion.

"I love my sister and her family and have always tried to be compassionate towards them. I believe that is the Christian way to behave," Liz Cheney told CNN anchor and Chief Washington Correspondent Jake Tapper.

It all started when Liz Cheney, who's making a GOP primary challenge for a U.S. Senate seat in Wyoming next year, said Sunday morning that while she supports some rights for same-sex partners, she does not favor the right for same-sex couples to legally wed.

"I love Mary very much. I love her family very much. This is just an issue in which we disagree," Cheney said on "Fox News Sunday."

Mary Cheney responded Sunday not long after the interview.

"Liz – this isn't just an issue on which we disagree – you're just wrong – and on the wrong side of history," she posted on Facebook.

Cheney says daughter Liz will win Senate bid

Mary Cheney married her longtime partner, Heather Poe, last year in Washington D.C., which legalized same-sex marriage in 2009. The couple have two children together – a son, Samuel, and a daughter, Sarah.

Mary also shared a post by her wife, who said she was offended by Liz Cheney's latest comments:

I was watching my sister-in-law on Fox News Sunday (yes Liz, in fifteen states and the District of Columbia you are my sister-in-law) and was very disappointed to hear her say "I do believe in the traditional definition of marriage."

Liz has been a guest in our home, has spent time and shared holidays with our children, and when Mary and I got married in 2012 – she didn't hesitate to tell us how happy she was for us.

To have her now say she doesn't support our right to marry is offensive to say the least

I can't help but wonder how Liz would feel if as she moved from state to state, she discovered that her family was protected in one but not the other.

I always thought freedom meant freedom for EVERYONE.

Mary Cheney added: "Couldn't have said it better myself."

Liz Cheney asserts her Wyoming roots in first ad

Her sexual orientation was known during her father's first run in 2000 for vice president, though her family generally declined to discuss her personal life on the campaign trail.

Dick Cheney has said in the past that gays and lesbians should be allowed to marry, though like his daughter Liz he says regulations should be handled at the state level.

Tapper asked Cheney last month in an interview for CNN's "The Lead" whether the family disagreement might create awkward Christmas table conversation.

"My position on that issue is well known, I enunciated it in 2000 in a debate with Joe Lieberman. It hasn't changed. And I'll let my daughters speak for themselves," the former vice president said.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... -marriage/

Basically I read that Mary has no intention of speaking to Liz during the Christmas holidays.

PostPosted: 11/18/13 11:51 am • # 2 
Administrator

What you heard about Mary not speaking to Liz is confirmed here, Kath ~ and I see that generous on Mary's part ~ I find Dick Cheney despicable on every level, with the sole exception being his stance on marriage equality ~ yes, his opinion "evolved" because of his love for his daughter Mary ~ some may see that as hypocritical ~ but he publicly supports marriage equality for all, not just for his own daughter ~ his daughter Liz, however, is just an icy-cold robotic TPer who seems to get off on hating everything/everyone who is even marginally empathetic towards others ~ :ey ~ Sooz

Liz Cheney’s ‘traditional definition of marriage’
11/18/13 08:00 AM
By Steve Benen

In August, Liz Cheney, a Republican U.S. Senate candidate in Wyoming, raised a few eyebrows when she announced her opposition to marriage equality. It came as something of a surprise – not only does her father, former Vice President Dick Cheney, support equal-marriage rights, but Liz Cheney’s sister, Mary, is openly gay and married her longtime partner just last year.

Yesterday, Liz Cheney appeared on “Fox News Sunday” and reiterated that her position has not changed. “I love Mary very much, I love her family very much,” she said. “This is just an issue on which we disagree…. I believe in the traditional definition of marriage.”

A very public family feud unfolded soon after.

Quote:
After an appearance on Fox News Sunday in which Wyoming Senate candidate Liz Cheney said she and her married gay sister “just disagree” on the subject of marriage equality, Mary Cheney posted a sharp rebuke to her Facebook page. ”Liz – this isn’t just an issue on which we disagree, you’re just wrong – and on the wrong side of history,” she wrote.

Mary Cheney’s wife, Heather Poe, also took to Facebook to sound off. “Liz has been a guest in our home, has spent time and shared holidays with our children, and when Mary and I got married in 2012 – she didn’t hesitate to tell us how happy she was for us. To have her say she doesn’t support our right to marry is offensive to say the least.”

One of the underlying issues here is not just Cheney’s willingness to deny civil rights to her own sister, but also her sincerity. Does she oppose marriage equality because of a genuine policy position or because Cheney’s afraid support for equal rights will cost her votes in a red-state Republican primary?

Indeed, it’s worth noting that a right-wing operation called the American Principles Fund recently launched attack ads against Liz Cheney, accusing her of not opposing gay rights enough. What’s more, Sen. Mike Enzi, the Republican incumbent Cheney is taking on in a primary, has internal polling showing him ahead by a whopping 52 points, which makes it all the more difficult for Cheney to break with her far-right party’s orthodoxy.

It’s not unreasonable, then, to wonder whether her position is the result of political convenience or a sincere desire to deny basic rights to millions of Americans, including her own sister.

And while we may never know for sure, it’s unlikely this “family values” controversy will do her campaign any favors. It’s also going to make the upcoming holidays a little awkward – the New York Times reported that the whole Cheney family will gather in Jackson Hole for Christmas, but Mary Cheney said of her sister, “I will not be seeing her.”

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... n-marriage

PostPosted: 11/18/13 11:56 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Compassion? That, to me, is insulting. It implies that Mary is troubled and needs help.

Compassion is the feeling of empathy for others. Compassion is the emotion that we feel in response to the suffering of others that motivates a desire to help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compassion

com·pas·sion noun \kəm-ˈpa-shən\

: a feeling of wanting to help someone who is sick, hungry, in trouble, etc.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/compassion

PostPosted: 11/18/13 12:01 pm • # 4 
I wouldn't want to see any of them, actually.

Mary is somewhat hypocritical, too. She wants the right to marry on the national level but still touts allegiance to the republican party. The r party is all about states rights and not federalizing anything.

I can't help but wonder how Liz would feel if as she moved from state to state, she discovered that her family was protected in one but not the other.

I always thought freedom meant freedom for EVERYONE.

Mary Cheney added: "Couldn't have said it better myself."

I am actually glad this spat is being played out in public. It shows that they aren't all that thrilled when they fall on the wrong side of their primitive views. What it's like to be outside of their bubble of privilege.

PostPosted: 11/18/13 1:05 pm • # 5 
Administrator

Liz is a political Cheney. Lies, hypocrisy etc. are all acceptable.

PostPosted: 11/18/13 11:55 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

What’s more, Sen. Mike Enzi, the Republican incumbent Cheney is taking on in a primary, has internal polling showing him ahead by a whopping 52 points, which makes it all the more difficult for Cheney to break with her far-right party’s orthodoxy.

If he's 52 points ahead, why is she even bothering. She's risking her family relationships for something she can't possibly win.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply