It is currently 05/18/24 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Happy Hanukkah, Sooz
PostPosted: 11/27/13 10:29 am • # 1 
I forget which days you and your family get together. We wanted to post this early in case tonight is one of them. We wish you and your family 8 days of safe and happy holidays. Of course, We wish you and your family safe and happy all other days, too. :fl Love you.

Post subject: Re: Happy Hanukkah, Sooz
PostPosted: 11/27/13 10:31 am • # 2 
Editorialist

THANKSGIVUKAH!!!!

PostPosted: 11/27/13 11:06 am • # 3 
Administrator

Thanks very much, jeanne ~ :fl ~ lighting Hanukkah candles is one of the very few traditions that I still observe ~ there's just something comforting about that to me ~

As Mac notes, this is VERY early for Hanukkah, which usually falls much closer to Christmas ~ I don't ever remember it colliding with Thanksgiving before ~

And, since I believe in being "happy" and sharing however/whenever possible, I wish all VoCers a happy, healthy, and safe Hannukah too ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/27/13 11:11 am • # 4 
Editorialist

sooz06 wrote:
Thanks very much, jeanne ~ :fl ~ lighting Hanukkah candles is one of the very few traditions that I still observe ~ there's just something comforting about that to me ~

As Mac notes, this is VERY early for Hanukkah, which usually falls much closer to Christmas ~ I don't ever remember it colliding with Thanksgiving before ~

Sooz

first time since 1888. last time until 70,000 years from now!

PostPosted: 11/27/13 11:22 am • # 5 
Editorialist

sooz, be sure to mark you calendar for the next time it happens. :angel

PostPosted: 11/27/13 11:24 am • # 6 
Administrator

WHEW!!! ~ at least there's a solid reason I don't remember "the last time" ~ :b

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/27/13 3:24 pm • # 7 

What about me?!

PostPosted: 11/27/13 6:14 pm • # 8 
SciFiGuy wrote:
What about me?!

Sigh, We went through this last Jewish holiday, Sci. I explained the why I specify sooz. I also explained why I don't wish happy holy days to someone identifying themself as an atheist. As far as I know atheists don't do holy days. A bit too hypocritical for the atheists I know.

So, I will be rude and say "what about you?"................you can't have it both ways.....stop whining

PostPosted: 11/28/13 12:15 am • # 9 

Yes, we went through this last year, and I fear we shall go through this again next year as well. Comments posted on the open board should be for all the members. All members should be encouraged to participate in all discussions. If you wish to send a greeting or message to only one particular member, they have a PM system for that.

The holidays are more than just religious. What are they really about?

They are about good will to our fellow man, and spending time with family and friends. They are about reflecting on the struggles our ancestors went through for their beliefs, and our collective hopes and dreams for a better world. They are about celebrating all that is good and noble and just. I can celebrate the meaning and spirit behind what Chanukah and Christmas are all about without needing to be religious.

PostPosted: 11/28/13 6:30 am • # 10 
Editorialist

SciFiGuy wrote:
Yes, we went through this last year, and I fear we shall go through this again next year as well. Comments posted on the open board should be for all the members. All members should be encouraged to participate in all discussions. If you wish to send a greeting or message to only one particular member, they have a PM system for that.

They are about good will to our fellow man, and spending time with family and friends. They are about reflecting on the struggles our ancestors went through for their beliefs, and our collective hopes and dreams for a better world. They are about celebrating all that is good and noble and just. I can celebrate the meaning and spirit behind what Chanukah and Christmas are all about without needing to be religious.

To the bolded: You seem to be the only one with a problem with this. Nobody in the group is being stopped from participating in threads directed to another member. Secondly, all members should be encouraged to participate in all discussions? Who made you dictator of the group? I basically lurk and just post a comment or two occasionally or an article or blog post I found interesting and wanted to share. Most of the time, people here have expressed my thoughts much better than I ever could have so I don't bother to post but I do read (A "like" button would really come in handy here, Sooz/Jabra). . You remind me of Noserose who I had a bit of a scrape with when VoC was still on MSN - pushy.

Oh and Happy Hanukkah, Sooz and all our other Jewish members.

PostPosted: 11/28/13 9:04 am • # 11 
SciFiGuy wrote:

I apologize to everyone else but this gets to me.

First of all sci, it wasn't last year, it was last Jewish holiday (you remember - the one you said had no real religious significance?). Second, the post is for all members to wish our group founder a happy holiday. As with any other thread anyone can post on it. I post the Jewish holiday wishes to sooz because they are sometimes forgotten even though she does not forget the Christian ones. It is for everyone to join in the wishes for her. If that bothers you so much, tough shit.

Third, every day should be about good will to everyone (not just our fellow "man") and about family and friends. Treating people like crap the rest of the year makes the holiday stuff hypocritical. Hannukkah is a very special holy holiday for Jews. It celebrates an awesome story. To try to make it any less is ridiculous (and not very Jewish).

Fourth, if it is so much about sharing and such why do you always feel the need to, instead of wishing her a happy holiday, make such self absorbed childish, "what about me" posts? It appears all you care about is yourself rather than the spirit of the holiday and acknowledging the person who started this group.

Fifth, it is highly hypocritical for a self declared atheist to be morally outraged at not being included in holy day wishes.

Last, maybe I wouldn't include you anyway because I simply don't want to.

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply