It is currently 05/04/24 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]
 Post subject: Thankful
PostPosted: 11/28/13 5:06 am • # 1 
Editorialist

I've posted this man's columns before and explained why we used to say "Thank God for Mississippi". Here is his take on Thanksgiving from an Alabama perspective. All highlights and bracketed comments are mine. I know that parts of this are "iffy", but the general theme is good and if it gives you a moment's pause to be grateful for simple things, it's all good.

Thank God for Mississippi, flush toilets and this amazing little corner of the world (John Archibald)

Life is hard. There's traffic and taxes and long waits in ludicrously long car tag lines. There's crime and poverty, pestilence and ... Democrats.

And Republicans.

Life is hard.

It's easy to forget the things we always forget. That we live in a world of unparalleled comfort and creativity, that in spite of it all we have it better than just about anybody ever did anywhere. We turn a switch and the room lights up as if enchanted (thanks Alabama Power). We turn a knob and clean, cool water rushes forth (thanks water works). We turn it the other way and it pours out hot.

We can even push a handle and ...

Flush.

Life is hard. But there are reasons to be thankful. I asked around, and found those reasons ... limitless.

We are thankful, as it turns out, for:

All the gadgets that make life easy. For central heat and air, and the people who know how to fix it. For ovens big enough for pre-plucked turkeys. For heavy duty dishwashers, blenders to blend, processors to process, and Google to look up the recipe grandma never wrote down.

For toilet paper. :tup

For the expectation of safety, and stability. For the Bill of Rights. For due process and the rule of law. For the way you can love or hate your president, but marvel at the orderly transfer of power with each change in leadership.

For Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, who makes our leaders look dignified.
(That is arguable)
For Mississippi.

For people who smile for no reason at all. For people who smile when they seem to have no reason to smile. For friendly faces at checkout lines. For children who say please and thank you.

For civility, and respectfulness, and compassion. For manners.

For this amazing little corner of earth, with its epic beauty and diversity. For the garnets and golds of fall leaves in the North Alabama mountains, and for the smell of salt air sweeping in from the Gulf. For a hint of hearth smoke in the crisp autumn air. For fish and deer and birds that sing in the morning.

For walks before dark. For blue skies.

For Alexander Fleming and Jonas Salk. For Antibiotics and Ibuprofen and all those people at places like UAB scoping out cures for diseases we know and we don't. For nurses and doctors. For people who change bed sheets and clean air filters in patient rooms.

For those who pick up garbage on the street. For those who don't – who won't – throw their trash on the ground.

For books and libraries. For librarians. For Shakespeare and Twain, Harper Lee and Alan Lightman. For stories and storytellers and listening close.

Yes, for football too. For Alabama and Auburn. (WAR EAGLE!) For ESPN, instant replay and that yellow line that signals a first down. For glasses. For warm coats and clean, fuzzy socks .

For chocolate and bacon and the remote control.

For living in this nation, where a vast collection of immigrants built something, against all the elements and odds, on a fundamental philosophy of equality of opportunity.

For Einstein and time. For Lincoln and MLK. For good schools and good teachers and all those who are willing to serve.

For soup.

And for spoons.

For the Drive By Truckers and The Blind Boys of Alabama. For Handel's Messiah and Amazing Grace.

For Thanksgiving.

For people so stubborn they believe our past is worth preserving. And most of all for people so stubborn they continue to believe our future – our nation, our state and our communities – can be brighter than our past.

Life is hard. Still, it ought to be a busy Thanksgiving.

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/201 ... _big-photo

Post subject: Re: Thankful
PostPosted: 11/28/13 6:02 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Things I'm thankful for: a roof over my head, clothes on my back, food in my belly and health insurance. Everything else is just gravy.

PostPosted: 11/28/13 9:36 am • # 3 
I do love a lot of this, maybe even most of it. I have to strongly disagree with this part, especially on Thanksgiving.

"For living in this nation, where a vast collection of immigrants built something, against all the elements and odds, on a fundamental philosophy of equality of opportunity."

We slaughtered the people already living here.

I am thankful for friends, family, memories of the great people who are no longer with us, nature, and new legs that finally work. Oh, and two great women running for Governor and Lt Gov in Texas.

PostPosted: 11/28/13 9:41 am • # 4 
Editorialist

grumpyauntjeanne wrote:
I do love a lot of this, maybe even most of it. I have to strongly disagree with this part, especially on Thanksgiving.

"For living in this nation, where a vast collection of immigrants built something, against all the elements and odds, on a fundamental philosophy of equality of opportunity."

We slaughtered the people already living here.

I am thankful for friends, family, memories of the great people who are no longer with us, nature, and new legs that finally work. Oh, and two great women running for Governor and Lt Gov in Texas.

You have new legs??? Hope you got some shapely, sexy ones while you were at it. ;)

PostPosted: 11/28/13 9:49 am • # 5 
Ha. I hate to say it, but they are prettier than my old ones.

I'll mention this since it may pop up. Hubby and I were hit by a drunk driver last year. My legs were crushed and couldn't be saved. We have both recovered pretty well but we were having trouble with infection and nerve damage and finding the right new legs for me. Got the newest ones last week and they are pretty good. The best thing.......no hairy legs. Hoorah. :happydance

PostPosted: 11/28/13 10:17 am • # 6 
Editorialist

Wow Jeanne, I didn't know about the accident. So sorry you had to go through that. :fl

Glad the new legs are working well. Ditto for the shaving.

PostPosted: 11/28/13 10:27 am • # 7 
Thanks, roseanne. :fl

PostPosted: 11/28/13 10:29 am • # 8 
Editorialist

For Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, who makes the rest ofour leaders look dignified.

Fixed it.

PostPosted: 11/28/13 10:31 am • # 9 
Editorialist

Wow! What a great attitude, Jeanne! Good for you!

PostPosted: 11/28/13 3:01 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

I'm thankful for people with the kind of grit that Jeanne has. Thanks for the inspiration, Jeanne.

PostPosted: 11/28/13 3:15 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

grampatom wrote:
I'm thankful for people with the kind of grit that Jeanne has. Thanks for the inspiration, Jeanne.

It makes me ashamed to be whining about my recent pity party. It's changed my attitude about it all.

PostPosted: 11/28/13 3:29 pm • # 12 
Sorry, I didn't mean to make this about me. Sometimes I post and don't reread so it slipped. I don't mind anyone knowing but didn't mean to hijack a thread.

The thing is, as horrible as this was, it doesn't make other people's troubles any less. When you're sick it still feels miserable. When shit happens you and we have a right to a pity party. Never be ashamed.

I had a friend that I hadn't seen or heard from for years and couldn't find her. She was always battling her weight. One day she called and said "good news, I lost a little weight.....................bad news, it was my breasts." That humor after 4 years of battling cancer. Amazing.

Thanks for your comments.

I am thankful for the good people in this group

PostPosted: 11/28/13 5:58 pm • # 13 
Editorialist

That puts my little problems into perspective Jeanne.
I hope everything works out well for you!

PostPosted: 11/28/13 7:39 pm • # 14 
Thanks, Cattleman. I hope things have gotten better for you or will soon. :fl

PostPosted: 11/28/13 9:23 pm • # 15 
Administrator

I'm sooooo glad these legs are working out, jeanne ~ :fl

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/28/13 10:55 pm • # 16 
Editorialist

As mentioned in my earlier post, I received two notices from "The Team" today, the second, as follows:

"Forum post notification - "GENERAL"‏

Actions

admin@voic​esorchoices​.com (admin@voicesorchoices.com)
Add to contacts
8:39 PM
[Flag this message]
To: Jeannedeurk1
Picture of admin@voicesorchoices.com

Parts of this message have been blocked for your safety.
Show content|I trust admin@voicesorchoices.com. Always show content.

Hello Jeannedeurk1,

You are receiving this notification because you are watching the forum,
"GENERAL" at "Voices or Choices". This forum has received a new reply to
the topic "Thankful" by grumpyauntjeanne since your last visit. You can use
the following link to view the last unread reply, no more notifications
will be sent until you visit the topic.

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=14548&p=127355&e=127355

If you want to view the topic, click the following link:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=14548

If you want to view the forum, click the following link:
viewforum.php?f=66

If you no longer wish to watch this forum you can either click the
"Unsubscribe forum" link found in the forum above, or by clicking the
following link:

viewforum.php?uid=30&f=66&unwatch=forum

--
Thanks, The Team

© 2013 Microsoft
Terms
Privacy
Developers
English ("

I am responding. I would also like to note that I seem to have been unable to receive notifications from this group for a very long time, perhaps over a year, or even two. Only recently have I been able to find my way back to "log in."

Much water under the bridge.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and I hope the future, near and far, brings us more to be thankful for than we have to regret.

AuntJeanne, you have a magnificent attitude dealing with your injury and I hope you will have continued success with your new legs.

The many amputees of limbs returning from the Middle East has certainly given the medical profession more than enough opportunity, cause, desire and funding to improve the prosthetics available to those who have lost limbs.

Congratulations on your ability to get around and my utmost respect and admiration for your patience, endurance and courage.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

jd

as

PostPosted: 11/29/13 9:18 am • # 17 
Thanks, sooz. These are older ones that Sandy's husband was working on right before he died. They work better with the nerves that are left and the knees really respond well.

PostPosted: 11/29/13 9:19 am • # 18 
Thanks, JD. It's good to see you. In case you didn't know, I am the old jeannept. I was gone for months after the accident and when I came back, I changed to grumpyauntjeanne so maybe people wouldn't confuse our nicknames. I hope things are ok for you.

PostPosted: 11/29/13 10:56 am • # 19 
Editorialist

Very good to hear from you again, jd.

PostPosted: 11/29/13 4:11 pm • # 20 
Editorialist

thank you for Ron Ford.

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ] New Topic Add Reply