All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/02/13 12:15 pm • # 1 
Administrator

"denying women birth control coverage"? ~ :s ~ Sooz

Santorum: Denying women birth control coverage is a First Amendment right
By David Edwards
Sunday, December 1, 2013 10:30 EST

Former Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum (R) on Sunday insisted that President Barack Obama was imposing his beliefs on corporations and preventing them from exercising their “right” to deny women contraception coverage in health care plans.

Last week, the Supreme Court agreed to decide if the corporation Hobby Lobby — which has Christian owners — had its rights violated by a mandate in the Affordable Care Act requiring most health care plans to offer birth control.

In a Sunday interview on CNN, former Gov. Howard Dean (D-VT) pointed out that he viewed the Vietnam War as “immoral” but had continued to pay his taxes throughout the conflict.

“This is one country, we all have to live by a set of things that are passed in Washington and are agreed to by the court,” Dean said.

But Santorum asserted that employees knew that Hobby Lobby’s owners were “very clear about their religious content.”

“I mean, the idea that the First Amendment stops after you walk out of church, that it doesn’t have anything to do with how you live the rest of your life, I don’t know very many people of faith that believes that their religion ends with just worship,” Santorum explained. “It ends in how you practice and live that faith.”

“And President Obama is saying, ‘No, once you step outside that church, I get to impose my values on you, your religious values don’t matter anymore, it’s my values that I can impose on you,’” the Pennsylvania Republican continued. “I don’t think that’s what the First Amendment stands for. And I don’t think that’s what the court will say.”

Dean, however, argued that the First Amendment allowed the “free exercise” of religion but did not allow companies to make health care decisions for others.

“It can’t enable you to force your religious views on other people,” he said.

Watch this video CNN’s State of the Union, broadcast Dec. 1, 2013. [Sooz says video accessible via the end link]

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/01/santorum-denying-women-birth-control-coverage-is-a-first-amendment-right/

PostPosted: 12/02/13 12:29 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Ah, the famous right to arbitrarily take away rights.

PostPosted: 12/02/13 1:11 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

"No man is an island"...and no right is an island, either. All of our rights impinge on the rights of others in some way or other. Hobby Lobby would like to use their first amendment religious rights as a weapon against their female employees' rights of equal protection under the law.

Incorporation creates a new "person" to represent flesh and blood person(s), and insulate them from risk. Sort of like Jesus taking on responsibility for our sins on the cross. Hobby Lobby is saying you can't require Jesus to sin, or punish Him if he won't. The Court will have to decide whether Hobby Lobby is:

-The owners under a different name, or
-A "person" that is a slave to the owners, or
-The owners' substitutionary, insulationary Savior "person, or
-A "person" subject to the law of the land like the rest of us persons.

I would love to for Hobby Lobby to use the Jesus argument before the Supreme Court.

PostPosted: 12/03/13 12:22 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

So the Christian Science Monitor should be exempt from providing any health benefits. The Scientologists should not have to include mental health services. The Catholics should also probably not cover prenatal or birth expenses for unmarried women and should definitely be exempt from providing care for any sexually transmitted diseases for anyone.

I certainly hope Hobby Lobby won't buy any of their merchandise from any companies that include those benefits in their health plans either. that would just be spending their money to provide birth control to people who don't work for them.

PostPosted: 12/03/13 2:51 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

So, Rick wants a Sharia law type government then? He wants religious corporate owners/religious business to be able to dictate the law when it comes to women's rights?

And YES. Once you walk out your church doors, you must obey the laws of the land. Your religious beliefs/rules/tenets/laws hold no sway over the general population.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply