It is currently 04/28/24 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Bitcoin
PostPosted: 12/02/13 12:22 pm • # 1 
Administrator

I have no clue how this whole bitcoin phenomenon started or works ~ but I love this kid's mindset ~ :st ~ some "live links" to more/corroborating info in the original ~ Sooz

Student raises more than $21,000 by waving sign asking for Bitcoin during football broadcast
By Travis Gettys
Monday, December 2, 2013 7:47 EST

A clever college student raised enough money to likely cover this year’s tuition by waving a sign asking for money this weekend during an ESPN broadcast.

The student appeared in the background of “College GameDay,” which broadcasts live from a different college campus each week during the NCAA football season and draws fans holding up funny or outrageous signs.

Prior to Auburn’s big upset against top-ranked Alabama, the student held up a sign asking his mom to send Bitcoin — the electronic currency that’s been steadily gaining value — and showing a scannable QR code that linked to his online account.

Someone posted a screen shot of the request on Reddit, and another user enhanced the image to identify his Bitcoin “wallet.”

The image ended up on the website’s front page, and soon donations came pouring in.

As of Monday morning, more than 22 Bitcoins had been deposited in 109 transactions worth more than $21,000 at the current exchange rate.

The student, who was identified as Reddit user BitcoinPitcher2, said he he had no idea his plan would work so well.

He told other Reddit users that he planned to donate most of the money Tuesday to Sean’s Outpost, a homeless shelter and outreach group in Pensacola, Florida, after he caught his breath.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/02/student-raises-more-than-21000-by-waving-sign-asking-for-bitcoin-during-football-broadcast/

Post subject: Re: Bitcoin
PostPosted: 12/02/13 2:49 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

I have no idea what Bitcoins are or how they work. I've heard the term before. If anyone who reads this knows, please explain. :

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply