It is currently 04/28/24 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Snow angels in the flesh
PostPosted: 12/04/13 2:44 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

We have a "Snow Angels" program here. They put up signs in neighborhoods encouraging neighbors to help neighbors shovel their sidewalks if they are unable to do so. There is a city by-law here that sidewalks must be cleared within 24 hours after the snow stops and one can get a fine if it's not done. We have a lot of pedestrians here due to the excellent transit system and a lot of people who would probably report someone.

The mayor spoke about it and told of a few notes, of many, the city has received. One from a woman who is taking care of an ill husband and another who is able to stay in her home because of her "angel".

His favorite:

‘I’m 72, but I have to shovel all of the walks on my street because the old people can’t.”

Gotta love it!! That's the spirit. :D

http://globalnews.ca/news/1009437/snow- ... -blizzard/

PostPosted: 12/04/13 3:02 pm • # 2 
Administrator

That's a terrific program, roseanne ~ and that note's perspective ROCKS!

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/04/13 3:37 pm • # 3 
Our house move three years ago came a couple of months before the onset of a (for us Brits) prolonged period of snowy weather. I got the shovel out and was joined by a couple of neighbours that until that time i had not even seen much less spoken to. We had a great time over the following weeks keeping our domain clear. On the age thing I think we oldies probably enjoy doing such things as a celebration of the fact that we still can.
Joe3 (aged 73)

PostPosted: 12/05/13 9:42 am • # 4 
Editorialist

Sad story that highlights the danger for older people, especially any who are vulnerable, to have snow removal done by someone else:

My hairstylist's FIL died last month after shoveling snow. He went inside and had a massive heart attack. I never asked her if he has previous problems. Even sadder, a couple who were friends of the FIL were on their way here to the funeral, had a car accident and the man died. The woman is still in the hospital. :(

Snow shoveling is very stressful on the body. I did some yesterday on our patio where it was about 8"-10" deep.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply