It is currently 04/28/24 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/08/13 5:56 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

Do you think an ad with John 3:16, "For God so loved the world........" and something like "Without God. We're all bad" would have been rejected? ;) All emphasis and bracketed comments mine.

Atheist billboard ads rejected in Vancouver

An atheist group is considering a human rights complaint after it says a billboard company refused to run its advertisements in Vancouver.

The Centre for Inquiry Canada created a billboard design depicting a smiling woman alongside a few phrases written in a biblical style.

“Jenn 13:1,” it reads. "Praying won’t help. Doing will.

Below the group's name, the ad says: "Without God. We're all good."

Pat O’Brien, board member for The Centre for Inquiry Canada, said the organization submitted the ads to Pattison Outdoor but was told they were unacceptable.

“They didn't really give us a good reason why they turned us down. In fact when we asked for some guidelines, they said they didn't have any guidelines that they could give us.”

But Randy Otto, president of Pattison Outdoor, told CBC News his company has nothing against the organization or its ads.

“They took a stand which said, here it is, you run it as it is or we'll take our ad and go away. And now they're suggesting that taking their ad and going away is somehow a violation of their human rights,” he said.

“I mean, I guess they can certainly do what they want.”

Otto said changes to the ad were requested to reflect company guidelines (HUH? see above :eyes ), but he did not know specifically what changes to the ad were requested.

According to Pattison Outdoor’s website, the company is Canada's largest out-of-home advertising company with a market share of over 45 per cent.

http://news.ca.msn.com/canada/atheist-b ... -vancouver

PostPosted: 12/08/13 6:01 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

A little about CFI Canada:

Centre for Inquiry Canada is a registered educational charity with a mandate to promote the values of reason, science and freedom of inquiry. We are a community of freethinking people who put on events, workshops, conferences and work as activists to promote evidence based reasoning in Canada and abroad.

At CFI Canada we focus on three broad areas of education and activism: 1. Religion 2. Pseudoscience, Paranormal and Fringe-science claims, 3. Medicine and Health. In all of these areas, we work to promote a scientific worldview, one that challenges established norms and customs and one that believes in the freedom of all individuals to ask important questions about life, nature and the world around them.

Centre for Inquiry is the largest Freethought, Skeptic and Scientific Advocacy group in Canada. We operate through 10 branches across the Country and incorporate the tireless efforts of hundreds of volunteers in our daily mission to advance knowledge and education in all areas of human endeavor.

- See more at: http://centreforinquiry.ca/about-us/#st ... qUfEJ.dpuf

PostPosted: 12/08/13 6:42 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

I think I would find atheist homilies just as annoying as Christian ones.

Get rid of billboards altogether I reckon.

PostPosted: 12/08/13 6:52 pm • # 4 
What is good enough for one...
However I would prefer to see none but I am a Utopian

PostPosted: 12/08/13 7:12 pm • # 5 
It's especially galling considering this:

"Conservative Leader Brian Pallister says he didn’t mean to offend anyone last week when he wished everyone, including "infidel atheists," the best of the holiday season...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/seasons-greetings----even-to-infidel-atheists-pallister-234034381.html

If he's able to say it so easily, that tells me he probably says it often.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply