It is currently 04/28/24 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/11/13 8:18 am • # 1 
Administrator

Obviously, "religious persecution" is the crime du jour for bigots ~ :ey ~ NEWS FLASH: your religion does not allow you to pick-and-choose which local/state/federal laws you will respect ~ Sooz

Fox News: It’s ‘The Death Of Free Enterprise’ If Bakery Can’t Discriminate Against Gay Couples
By Rebecca Leber on December 10, 2013 at 10:44 am

A judge ruled Friday that a Colorado-based bakery shop owner cannot refuse to sell a wedding cake to a same-sex couple celebrating their marriage because of his “religious freedom.”

Fox and Friends asked Masterpiece Cakeshop owner Jack Phillips for his reaction in a Tuesday segment called, “The Death of Free Enterprise,” where they discussed the judge’s ruling as a slippery slope to the end of constitutional freedoms. “This certainly could set precedent in terms of private businesses having to completely shed what they believe personally to offer something to a consumer, correct?” Fox host Elisabeth Hasselbeck said.

“I don’t feel that I should participate in their wedding and when I do a cake, I feel like I’m participating in the ceremony or event or the celebration that the cake is for,” Phillips said.

Watch it:

On his website, Phillips posted an editorial in which he claims to be the victim of religious persecution, arguing that he followed Colorado non-discrimination law to the letter, and he did not “discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation; he declined participation in speech and activity that would violate his religious beliefs.”

Administrative Law Judge Robert Spencer took apart each of these arguments in his ruling. It was irrelevant that Colorado does not recognize same-sex marriage and that Phillips would have sold a cake for another occasion, because Masterpiece Cakes discrimination was based on sexual orientation. The judge also responded to Phillips’ argument his freedom of speech and religion are under attack. He answered that selling cakes to customers does not count as either.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2013/12/10/3042471/fox-colorado-bakery/

PostPosted: 12/11/13 10:58 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Since when has anyone associated with free enterprise cared who their customers were? I haven't seen one entrepreneur refuse to sell a gun to a crazy person because that person might hurt someone and murder is wrong according to the bible. Do you sell wedding cakes to people who are getting married to the person they cheated on their first spouse with? That would be adultery. Even Hobby Lobby sells crafts to people who use contraception.

PostPosted: 12/11/13 12:40 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

what if my faith tells me that i should not serve women? what if it tells me that i should not serve white people? at what point does this become an argument that this guy will understand?

oh, and why the hell doesn't the FOX reporter point out these logical inconsistencies?

PostPosted: 12/11/13 12:51 pm • # 4 
Administrator

oh, and why the hell doesn't the FOX reporter point out these logical inconsistencies?

Because in the FOX World it's perfectly logical.

PostPosted: 12/11/13 1:21 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

Mac you may be mistaking a Fox reporter for a journalist.

PostPosted: 12/11/13 2:46 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

Isn't it a kind of pyrrhic victory though?
I mean, would you go ahead and buy the cake?

PostPosted: 12/11/13 4:29 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

Not only would I not buy the cake (they might poison it, lol), but I would get their email address and sign them up for every gay informational web site that I could find. :evil

I once had enough of an online persona who was harassing me that I found out his email address and signed him up for some gay dating sites. :angel

PostPosted: 12/11/13 5:41 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

The point isn't getting a wedding cake that you would want at that point, any more than Rosa Parks enjoyed riding in the front of the bus beside people that hated her, or those strong people really ever enjoyed their lunches at the woolworth's counter as people threw food and garbage at them and heaped them with abuse and insults.

That wedding cake needs to be bought because the people that sold it need to understand--they don't get to set up a class system with their business--by who they will cater to or sell to.

Some of the most important actions in the history of social justice have been made by people as stubborn as mules. And I admire every single one of them.

PostPosted: 12/11/13 6:15 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

So do I GAT.

But Rosa Parks was 1955 in Montgomery Alabama.

Buses are also a necessity in many situations.

PostPosted: 12/12/13 12:42 am • # 10 
Editorialist

I wish the gay couple had just gone somewhere else and bought their cake. All they've accomplished is to take a bigoted religious fanatic and given him and his ilk both a national stage and the means to declare his martyrdom.

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply