It is currently 04/19/24 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/19/13 7:07 am • # 1 
Editorialist

I've said before that Canada has very strict privacy laws and they strive to constantly keep up with the internet in regards to that. For instance, I could be charged and prosecuted if I reveal info about our tenants, even their unit number, except to government or law enforcement.

A company that operates an online rental site has done just that. Their online applications for rentals are accessable online. Name, social insurance number, phone numbers (including work), where they work, their salary, license plate and car info....it's all there. :eek

FYI for any Canadians who may use the site: RentCanada

PostPosted: 12/19/13 7:14 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Yikes! That's not good.

Can't remember if I mentioned it....but a while ago when we were having cable/phone/internet issues and I called the cable company, the customer service rep wanted the last 4 digits of my SS# "for security".

I refused. He persisted. So I gave him a lecture about how SS#'s were never intended to be used that way. (Then I asked him why on earth an imposter would be calling them to report that we were having trouble. lol)

PostPosted: 12/19/13 10:03 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Chaos I am always fighting with the phone/cable company when I call for problems. They ask for my account number, the amount of my last bill and other security questions when I'm reporting a problem. I say "look at the number I am calling from-you can reset my television and internet from there (wherever the call center is), why the hell would anyone call you and and ask you to repair my stuff unless it was me?" Now fix it, or I'm switching to Comcast.

PostPosted: 12/21/13 6:10 pm • # 4 
I got past that kind of obstinate, intrusive grilling when I said to the agent that I've been a paying customer for 10 years and if they can't figure out who I am by now, perhaps it's time to change providers. It's not a message intended for the answering agent. It's a message to the management because service calls are monitored. :)

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply