It is currently 03/28/24 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/26/13 8:58 am • # 1 
Editorialist

I don't know why those on the right/Tparty/conservatives can't or won't see this:

Shelter taught volunteer that 'nobody is more human than the next human'

Charlene Trepanier is always happy when she walks into Inn From the Cold and sees a familiar face.

She is even more happy when she doesn’t.

The Calgary woman has been volunteering at the shelter’s downtown location since it opened in 2008. Her favourite part of the experience is getting to know the clients — the families who, for whatever reason, have found themselves without a roof over their heads and have sought out Inn From the Cold as a refuge.

But as much as she values the relationships she has made, part of her always hopes that next time she goes to the shelter, that particular friend or sweet little boy or girl won’t be there.

“If I don’t see them the next week or the next day, then — as much as I miss them — my hope and desire is that they’ve found housing,” Trepanier said. “That’s what it’s all about.”
“It gives you a different perspective. I was at a fundraiser one time and (humanitarian and retired general) Romeo Dallaire was there,” she recalled. “He said that everyone is human — nobody is more human than the next human. And wow, that’s right. It doesn’t matter whether we’re staff here or volunteers here or guests, we’re all the same. It’s just our circumstances that are a little different.”
“No one grows up wanting to be homeless — no one grows up saying, ‘This is what I want to be.’ So if we can help make a difference in someone’s life, that’s what we’re here to do,” Trepanier said. “And to let them know that they’re worth it — we’re all worth it.”

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calga ... story.html

PostPosted: 12/26/13 10:07 am • # 2 
Administrator

Not all volunteer opportunities are the right fit for everyone ~ but the "... we’re all the same. It’s just our circumstances that are a little different." comment is the real take-away from volunteering ~ and it hits you like a true epiphany ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/26/13 10:29 am • # 3 
we’re all the same. It’s just our circumstances that are a little different.”

This isn't totally true. One third of the homeless are severely mentally ill and need more than food and shelter. Even if they are given permanent residence it is often not successful, and they are back on the street.

A friend of Jason's was homeless recently. His dad's house burnt down and they put him out. (I am sure there is more to this story). He was living in his car and now he's living in Jason's basement. So is another guy with autism spectrum disorder who has trouble holding a job.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply