It is currently 03/28/24 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: The horror in Chicago
PostPosted: 12/30/13 7:31 am • # 1 
Editorialist

http://www.retailhellunderground.com/my_weblog/2013/12/retail-balls-award-safeway-corporation-gets-told-via-viral-video-by-worker-from-store-they-bought-ou.html

Retail Balls Award: Safeway Corporation Gets Told Via Viral Video By Worker From Store They Bought Out and Closed

Most epic store closing video I've ever seen! The Grocery slave that made this gets a Retail Balls Award!

From Huff Post:

A Chicago-area (former) Dominick's employee's satirical, sci-fi-themed video criticizing the company that owns the grocery chain attracted so much attention it prompted the worker's suspension.

For one whole day, the company's final day in operation in Chicago.

The video, titled "Thanks Safeway," was created by Steve Yamamoto and posted on YouTube on Friday, Dec. 27. Before long, the video was noticed by area media outlets and, come Saturday, Yamamoto was informed he had been suspended.

"My store manager got a phone call that she had to suspend me," Yamamoto, who worked at the chain's Glen Ellyn store, told NBC Chicago. "I was like, 'Are you serious?' It's crazy as it is. I'm just dumbfounded."

Yamamoto's suspension may cause him to lose three weeks' severance pay, he told CBS Chicago.

Dominick's officially closed almost all of its 72 Chicago-area stores on Saturday, leaving, as Yamamoto's apocalyptic video pointed out, over 6,000 workers unemployed. Fifteen of the closed stores have been sold to Jewel or Roundy's -- and Whole Foods is rumored to have purchased six more, but the fate of the rest of the stores remains uncertain.

PostPosted: 12/30/13 7:54 am • # 2 
Editorialist

That was fantastic! Maybe this man will get a job elsewhere that will match his talent.

Safeway has sold it's stores here to a chain/corporation called Sobey's who is owned by some conglomerate. They haven't closed any stores........yet. I hope never. We love Safeway and Sobey's is more of an upscale market. Translated, more expensive.

PostPosted: 12/30/13 9:42 am • # 3 
Administrator

GREAT video ~ this is obviously BIG news here, and has been since the closings were announced several weeks ago ~ Dominick's and Jewel have been the 2 big chains here for decades ~ but 2 or so years ago, Mariano's [owned by Roundy's in Wisconsin] opened a couple of stores and pushed grocery competition to fierce levels ~ I am very excited that 1 of the 3 Dominick's closest to me has been bought by Mariano's ~ rumor has it that the Dominick's closest to me will become a Whole Foods ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/30/13 11:54 am • # 4 
Administrator

roseanne wrote:
That was fantastic! Maybe this man will get a job elsewhere that will match his talent.

Safeway has sold it's stores here to a chain/corporation called Sobey's who is owned by some conglomerate. They haven't closed any stores........yet. I hope never. We love Safeway and Sobey's is more of an upscale market. Translated, more expensive.

Sobey's is a Canadian corporation based in Nova Scotia. We never shop there. Their products are overpriced and of mediocre quality.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply