It is currently 05/04/24 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
PostPosted: 01/06/14 4:30 pm • # 1 
Administrator

This is an interesting read that asks some thought-provoking questions ~ I watched the segment a few days ago ~ while I am usually "anti" whenever a politician's family is dragged into a stunt, this was not a malicious comment and nothing more than an unthinking smart-ass remark by a guest that made folks chuckle ~ I like Melissa Harris-Perry ~ she is bright and perceptive, and IMO she is being harassed by the GOP/TP gold-plated double standard ~ I'll try to find the picture that set off this "controversy", but take a look at the video below and you decide if her apology is phony ~ there are "live links" to more/corroborating info in the original ~ Sooz

Posted by Chauncey DeVega at 1:41 pm
January 6, 2014
She Committed No Wrong. Why Then Did Melissa Harris-Perry Apologize to Mitt Romney's Family?

Melissa Harris-Perry has apologized to Mitt Romney's family.

The lie that is the myth of the "liberal media" is exposed again.

Martin Bashir was fired from his show on MSNBC for telling the truth about Sarah Palin's gross and disgusting ahistorical and offensive comparison of "Obamacare" to black chattel slavery.

MSNBC's Melissa Harris-Perry has suffered a week of heckling criticism from conservatives and the Right-wing noise machine because one of her guests made an observation about how seemingly out of place Mitt Romney's adopted black grandchild is in the sea of waspy Whiteness that is the Romney clan.

Moreover, the brief discussion of Romney's adopted grandchild was benign. No one pointed out the reasonable (and obvious) questions that could be asked about why a family of white Mormons, who are among their religion's "elect" and elite families, would adopt a person of color when black people are supposedly stained by the Curse of Ham and not allowed (until a recent "revelation") access to white Mormon heaven? Nor did anyone highlight how the racial diversity in the one time Republican Party presidential nominee's family is seemingly at odds with the Tea Party GOP's white identity politics of racial resentment.

In the United States, politician's families are supposedly "off limits" for sniping and dart throwing by one's ideological foes. Of course, this is not true. Obama's family and children have suffered vicious racial taunts and insults from conservatives and their media apparatus. The Clinton family was also not considered as being on neutral ground and above the political fray.

Apparently, the above rules of decency only apply to conservatives. From the "War on Christmas", to the myth of the "liberal media", and a belief in "reverse racism" and other assorted fictions, the Right-wing has created an alternative reality where "good people" like them, i.e. white conservatives, are perennial victims in post civil rights era America. Such a crippling persistent state of unfairness and oppression extends upward from the rank-and-file low information Fox News viewer, to their heroes and darlings such as Sarah Palin and Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson, and even to the Romney clan, the Kochs, and Rupert Murdoch.

I have little use for the pop psychology offered up on daytime television by people such as Dr. Phil or Oprah. However, I did take away two gems of knowledge and wisdom from their respective shows that could be of use in understanding the need by "progressives" and "liberals" to always apologize for the purpose of soothing Right-wingers' supposedly hurt feelings.

One, we teach people how to treat us. Two, people will tell and show you who they really are. Very often nice people are very naive and stupid in how they do not apply such rules in their lives. Thus, they perpetuate the conditions of their own abuse. To point. The Republican Party uses political thuggery and bullying to get its way. Like all bullies, they then cry and complain that they are the real victims when their former prey stands up to them.

In this scenario, the Republican Party is the equivalent of a domestic batterer who beats the hell out of their partners or other family members. The victim stands up for him or herself and retaliates in self-defense. The domestic abuser is shocked and hurt by this defiance. Somehow they imagine themselves as being abused, and then try to convince the police of said "fact".

And guess who gets to spend the night in jail as the abuser gins of some manufactured tears and halting breath as they explain to anyone who will listen that they are the "real victim" in the relationship?

The Democratic Party, its media spokespeople and personalities, as well as many folks who identify as "liberals" or "progressives" have taught Republicans that it is okay to mistreat them. A broken government and political circus on basic matters such as the debt ceiling, extending unemployment benefits, and other related matters are the result of a codependent, political Stockholm Syndrome-like, abusive relationship between Republicans and Democrats. The latter keeps trying to get things done and to have a good relationship; the former hates the very idea of government, and the country's first black president becomes the focus of their defiance.

Professional wrestling is one of the most illuminating and sharp frameworks for understanding American political culture. Professional wrestling is scripted theater where the outcomes of a given match are, for the most part, predetermined. In the language of professional wrestling the "loser" has to do what is called "the job". There are many ways to lose and retain credibility. A great loss can even propel a wrestler's career forward (see Steve Austin's legendary "I quit" match against Brett Hart). A pattern of "jobbing" can also signal the end of a person's wrestling career or that their time with a given promotion is coming to an end.

Doing the job properly is an art; it is essential to the business and spectacle that is professional wrestling.

I have no doubt that Melissa Harris-Perry's apology to the Romney family was sincere. I doubt that Melissa Harris-Perry would have apologized if she did not want to do so.

Her apology was also great television. It was also practical. In the language of pro wrestling, Harris-Perry had to "do the job" in order to move past this distraction so that she could go on to other far more important discussions/matches.

Melissa's doing the job was also good business for all parties involved. Now, the question is will those who run the show (i.e. "hold the book" and run the "territory" in professional language speak) at MSNBC realize the great storyline and mileage they could get out of her doing the job for Romney?

Some suggestions. Melissa Harris-Perry could talk about her family, do a show about race and Mormonism, or have a special on her family's genealogy.

As a point of comparison, the white trash Duck Dynasty human zoo was able to leverage their faux-controversy about racism and homophobia for big bucks. A&E will now have more viewers for Duck Dynasty--not fewer. Is MSNBC that smart?

Do help me understand. I see no substantive offense by anything said or done by Melissa Harris-Perry, or her guests, to the Romney clan. Why do liberals and progressive so embrace taking the "high road" and being "classy" when their opposition has no such limits or conscience?

http://www.alternet.org/speakeasy/chaunceydevega/she-committed-no-wrong-why-then-did-melissa-harris-perry-apologize-mitt?page=entire

PostPosted: 01/06/14 4:35 pm • # 2 
Administrator

I think this is the photo ~ Ann and Mitt with their grandchildren ~ Sooz

PostPosted: 01/06/14 5:08 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

Of course she did no wrong. It was also a cute, harmless little joke. But then it's the same kind of crap the left gets it's panties all in a knot over when somebody on the right says it. God! Think of the things we've used to accuse righties of bigotry and prejudice over the past five years!

PostPosted: 01/06/14 5:27 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

I've been arguing with others over at CE when a post titled "Romney grandchild latest victim of racist media" showed up.

Several of us asked where was the racism and there was no answer.

I wrote the following in response to one comment;

Quote:
Someone like Harris-Perry apologizes and admits she did something wrong, while the Limbaughs and Coulters and Robertsons and Buchanans out there not only don't apologize, they won't even admit there was something wrong with their offensive comments.

Racism isn't about comments, it's about beliefs and attitudes and actions. One can apologize for comments, but if you continue to hold racist beliefs they mean nothing.

So go ahead and complain about this one incident and try to use it to sum up liberals or Democrats or Obama or whatever.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for apologies from your side.

PostPosted: 01/07/14 9:37 am • # 5 
Administrator

This sums it up quite nicely for me ~ :ey ~ Sooz

AlterNet / By Matt Bors
Matt Bors on Right-Wing's "Duck Dynasty" Hypocrisy

Right-wingers can say whatever they want, because, freedom. But when Melissa Harris-Perry made a mistake, it was open season.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/matt-bors-right-wings-duck-dynasty-hypocrisy

PostPosted: 01/07/14 9:44 am • # 6 
Administrator

jimwilliam wrote:
Of course she did no wrong. It was also a cute, harmless little joke. But then it's the same kind of crap the left gets it's panties all in a knot over when somebody on the right says it. God! Think of the things we've used to accuse righties of bigotry and prejudice over the past five years!

I would wager that at least a very large majority of the number of times I've gotten my own "panties all in a knot" about a GOP/TPer comment have been well-deserved ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/07/14 9:50 am • # 7 
Administrator

John, several GOP/TPers have publicly retracted comments when they've realized what they've said out loud, but I'm thinking you're spitting into the wind over there ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/07/14 9:52 am • # 8 
Editorialist

sooz06 wrote:
jimwilliam wrote:

I would wager that at least a very large majority of the number of times I've gotten my own "panties all in a knot" about a GOP/TPer comment have been well-deserved ~

Sooz

I don't mean you, personally, just some of the things the left as a whole have called racist, bigoted, etc., especially with regard to Obama.

PostPosted: 01/07/14 10:07 am • # 9 
Administrator

jim, I think a LOT of people have awakened to the fact that bigotry and discrimination are rampant in "some circles" ~ not sure if it's "again" or [more likely] "still" ~ but it's certainly more public ~ on the political level, ridiculous stonewalling on repeat renewal legislation for things that were routinely approved for decades and confirmation of nominees are proof of that to me ~ but I do understand your point ~ libs can be as ridiculous as cons ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/07/14 11:21 am • # 10 
Editorialist

I think what happened on Harris-Perry's show was in poor taste (not racism) and it was appropriate for her to apologize.

Rather than the comments that were made, it would have been much better had they talked about how nice it was to see Romney's family welcoming an adopted black child (do we really need to mention it the child is black?) into their fold.

But what I find significant is the difference between how the Right and Left deals with this issues.

At CE, it was mentioned that Martin Bashir and Alec Baldwin made offensive comments. I had to point out that they are no longer on MSNBC.

As I asked, where are the apologies from the Right? Who has been fired for making offensive comments?

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply