It is currently 05/05/24 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Snowstorm North America
PostPosted: 01/07/14 10:22 am • # 1 
Editorialist

How is everyone doing? Is everyone safe?

The closed our school board down today--Im home from school,, and it's the darndest thing. there's not a cloud in the sky at the moment. However, according to the weather network, we may get hit later today, and there is a dangerous blizzard happening both north and south of us.

Right now though, i'm just happily enjoying the great canadian holiday--the SNOW DAY.

:ph

PostPosted: 01/07/14 11:00 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Nothing here. Thank goodness, lol. We've had our fill, TYVM.
Enjoy, gat!

You'd think Canadians would have enough of the snow, but NOOOOOO.....they have to make their own. :lol I sent this to daughter who tried it last night. Only cold enough there to make fog, not snow. There are several videos embedded in the story. My fave is the pump-action water gun. :D

Canadians overcome by urge to throw boiling water in cold air

No known cure for mysterious affliction

As temperatures plunge across the nation, a plague has settled upon the citizens of Canada.

The affliction appears to be compelling victims to take cups of boiling water outside and throw them into the air while recording the action on mobile devices.

The urges are often accompanied by declarations of the temperature before clapping and going “oooh.” Phrases such as “great white north” and “I had to try it” are often heard. Typically, the people throwing the water are not actually appropriately dressed for the frigid temperatures.

Reported incidents of the curious, compulsive behaviour have increased in recent days as temperatures dipped to as low as -50 degrees with wind chill in Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Even Toronto has seen wind chill values in the -30 degree range.

Vancouver is also “cold,” or as the rest of Canada would say, “balmy.”

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Canadians+ ... story.html

PostPosted: 01/07/14 12:28 pm • # 3 
Administrator

VanCity rarely gets below T-shirt temperatures.
The Peg can get a wee bit chilly at times.

PostPosted: 01/07/14 3:35 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

Typically, the people throwing the water are not actually appropriately dressed for the frigid temperatures.

Whether their dress is appropriate depends entirely upon how deep into that night's two-four they are. The more beer the warmer the weather.

PostPosted: 01/07/14 5:56 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

We've had so much whining in the city about snow plowing especially in this area, even though we got more snow in December than in the last 100 years, it's pathetic. These women knew what to do in 1972!

LOL, I love the pocket book (as they would have called it then) hanging from one woman's arm.

Old-school snow removal, Calgary style

The city is planning to spend $6.7M to haul away the huge accumulation of snow in residential areas, much to the relief of Calgarians weary of the bone-jarring rides down the streets in their communities.

The Herald’s archives reveal that the winter of 1972 was a rough one as well. Residents of Vista Heights were struggling with heavy snow and ice and driving conditions on Valley View Road — the main exit from Vista Heights — were treacherous. Tired of waiting for city crews to clear the road, housewives in the area decided to take up shovels and do it themselves. Once the women had finished for the day, city crews arrived and completed the job.

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2014/01/ ... v2#content

PostPosted: 01/07/14 7:12 pm • # 6 
Administrator

This is a picture, published by Mother Jones, taken by the pilot of a plane flying past Chicago's downtown yesterday ~ since the plane is heading north, I'm thinking it was on approach to land at O'Hare or circling to land at Midway ~ you can see how the wind is roughing up the lake waters ~ FTR, the temp yesterday was -16* [a new record], which translates to a wind chill temp of between -35* to -40* [also, I believe, a new record] ~ but today got up to +3* ~ :ey ~ Sooz

PostPosted: 01/07/14 7:41 pm • # 7 
Administrator

I wore a light sweater today and laid off the ice in my drinks.

PostPosted: 01/08/14 8:30 am • # 8 
Editorialist

Oh, shut it Jab. :hmm

We'll talk to you in July when you're hiding in the basement during a smog warning.

:neener

PostPosted: 01/08/14 12:19 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

green apple tree wrote:
Oh, shut it Jab. :hmm

We'll talk to you in July when you're hiding in the basement during a smog warning.

:neener

Or the hurricanes, don't forget about the hurricanes.

PostPosted: 01/08/14 12:25 pm • # 10 
Administrator

WOOO HOOO ~ we've broken thru to 10* today ~ of course, the forecast for tomorrow is ... snow AND ice ~ :g ~ but ... that's tomorrow ~ for today, here's a cross-country slide show to memorialize these past several days ~ Sooz

How do you photograph cold? 14 pictures documenting the polar vortex

Taking pictures of a snowstorm is easy – there are piles of the stuff on sidewalks, and when it falls it just looks so pretty. But documenting the kind of bitter, arctic cold that's enveloped much of North America this week can be a more challenging task. How to convey an abstract feeling – brr! – with a click? Here's how ...

Slide Show

http://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2014/jan/07/photograph-cold-polar-vortex-pictures

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply