It is currently 05/18/24 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
PostPosted: 01/17/14 7:02 am • # 1 
Editorialist

I wanted to post this, not only because it is yet another story of a teacher and a student, but because it made me wonder. I wonder, is his family fans of "Duck Dynasty"? Being christian and southern, it's highly likely. If they are, how can they be when Phil so blantanly encourage "sexual abuse" of teen girls....iow, encouraged older boys/men to look for and marry younger girls? How do they feel about it now that their own son had a sexual relationship with his teacher? You see what I mean?
Even if THEY didn't support Phil or DD, many "christians" did. After all, the family prayed on the show....... :eyes
Soooo, when it is abuse and when is it "smart" dating/marriage advice? :|

Family of boy sexually abused by teacher at Mary G. Montgomery grappling with after-effects of abuse

MOBILE, Alabama -- The family of the Mary G. Montgomery High School student who was sexually abused by one of his teachers is working to move past the ordeal with grace and forgiveness.

Their family can't judge what Ms. Gray did, and they don't, but she messed up their son," said David Greene, the attorney for the victim's family who was asked to speak on their behalf. "While it may be seen as being cool by children who are not mature -- or even adults that aren't mature -- it has some long-lasting effects."

In February 2013, the Mobile County Sheriff's Office confirmed deputies were investigating allegations that a teacher at Mary G. Montgomery High School was having a sexual relationship with one of her 14-year-old students.

On Jan. 10, former math teacher Alicia Gray, 28, pleaded guilty to having a sexual relationship with the child. She was handed a five-year sentence, split so she had to serve six months in jail. She was also ordered to surrender her teaching certificate and register as a sex offender. She has been forbidden from working with minors.
"(The child victim) is a normal young man that is going through the normal process of trying to grow up," Greene said, "(but) there' a lot of shame and a lot of guilt ... a teacher is a person in a position of authority.

"The question the family has is, how is this going to affect him in 10 years? He was lured into this emotional relationship with a teacher."
[b]"The perception is that maybe a male victim might not be seen as a victim as likely as a female victim would actually be seen as a victim," he said.[/b

Formwalt agreed and pointed to confusing signals from fellow classmates and others as further exacerbating the problem.

"It can be confusing because of the responses a child may or may not receive at school," Formwalt said. "High fives from other guys, or whatever, when he was actually abused -- how does he incorporate all of that?"

http://blog.al.com/live/2014/01/family_ ... ncart_2box

PostPosted: 01/17/14 11:58 am • # 2 
Did you read any of the comments following this article?

A guy named honkytonk was saying that 14 year old boys are always thinking about sex and this was no big deal (not enough to ruin the 28 year old teacher's life). It was wrong cause she was a teacher in a position of authority, but not that wrong. 12 was the age of consent in Alabama just a few years ago.

I think he was a willing victim. I think a lot of the teen girls are willing victims, too. They have crushes on their teachers and go along with the sex act. That doesn't make it right for either gender.

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply