It is currently 05/12/24 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
PostPosted: 01/18/14 10:43 am • # 1 
Administrator

For me, this is a very troubling decision that could be a game-changer ~ while I admittedly can't really fathom the depth/breadth of the personal angst and turmoil involved, I know it is real ~ but I'm having a problem with the public being responsible financially for this surgery and recovery just because this is a prison inmate ~ I need to think more about this ~ emphasis/bolding below and "live links" to more/corroborating info in the original ~ Sooz

Federal Appeals Court: It’s Cruel And Unusual Punishment To Deny Transgender Inmates’ Surgery
By Zack Ford on January 17, 2014 at 9:19 pm

A panel of the First Circuit Court of Appeals ruled 2-1 on Friday in favor of Massachusetts transgender inmate Michelle Kosilek, affirming a lower court ruling that she deserves the sex reassignment surgery (SRS) her doctors have prescribed. The epic ruling details Kosilek’s 20-year struggle to obtain the proper treatment and the lengths that the Massachusetts Department of Corrections (DOC) have gone to delay allowing her to receive it — a violation of the Eighth Amendment of the Constitution, which forbids “cruel and unusual punishment.”

The decision, itself, represents further delay, because the DOC appealed the lower court decision to again avoid allowing Kosilek to obtain the treatment that her doctors had deemed “medically necessary.” In their appeal, the DOC challenged two points made by the lower court: 1) that denying Kosilek sex reassignment surgery constituted unconstitutionally “inadequate medical care” and 2) that the DOC was not deliberately indifferent to her need for treatment.

The majority, in an opinion written by Judge O. Rogeriee Thompson, an Obama appointee, rejected these two challenges. The only medical professionals who disagreed that Kosilek was deserving of SRS were those who the DOC sought out knowing that they would be biased against recommending such treatment. The fact that doctors could be found to provide such a conclusion was not enough to disprove what the rest of her doctors insisted, let alone the fact that Kosilek had already twice attempted suicide and once attempted self-castration:

Quote:
With the prerequisites for surgery satisfied, Drs. Brown, Kaufman, Forstein, Kapila, and Appelbaum all testified unequivocally: SRS was medically necessary and the only appropriate treatment for Kosilek. And they all agreed that a very likely consequence of Kosilek not receiving the surgery was a serious risk of harm, predominantly suicide. Kosilek herself testified, and the court found credibly so, that though hormone treatments had helped, she still suffers intense mental anguish over her male genitalia and believed she needed surgery. As Kosilek explained, she did not want to continue living with her male genitalia and antidepressants and psychotherapy would not change that.

In defense of its second challenge, the DOC argued that it had significant security concerns relating to Kosilek both traveling to receive the surgery — that she might be a flight risk — and reintegrating into the prison — that she would either be a victim if she continued to serve in the men’s prison or a threat and a flight risk if she were placed into a women’s prison. The majority dismissed the first argument outright:

Quote:
The likelihood of Kosilek, who has been transported to multiple doctor’s appointments without issue, fleeing while traveling to receive the surgery that she has dedicated decades of her life to obtaining is improbable enough that we need say nothing more. Almost equally as unlikely is the idea that a now sixty-four year old, post-surgical, recovering Kosilek would be able to escape when being transported back to prison.

Moreover, the Court was unconvinced that the DOC’s supposed security concerns held any merit, particularly because Kosilek already openly identifies as female in the prison without issue:

Quote:
First, Kosilek has been housed safely while living as a woman — wearing female clothing, using female cosmetics, and taking female hormones that caused her to develop breasts and a feminine body shape — in the general population at MCI-Norfolk for many years… Once an actual security review was done, then Superintendent Spencer reported that there were no current security concerns with Kosilek being provided estrogen therapy. And no security issues ended up cropping up after that. The DOC’s about-face calls into question their present stance with regard to the impact of surgery.

The case begs the question as to what is gained by denying Kosilek the surgery. Despite public outcry from elected officials that taxpayer money should not be spent on such treatment — including a proposed law banning sex reassignment surgery for inmates — it was never actually an argument made in this case. In fact, Massachusetts has spent far more fighting Kosilek’s surgery (over $52,000 on medical experts alone) than her surgery would have cost.

The dissent, written by Ford and Reagan appointee Judge Juan Torruella, sheds no further light on the benefits of denying Kosilek the medical treatment she deserves. He was persuaded that the DOC’s biased experts provided an “adequate” solution for Kosilek, ignoring the fact that depression was a symptom of her gender dysphoria and thus, antidepressants alone would not solve her problem. His bias against Kosilek’s needs was particularly evident when he wrote that the DOC had reasonable concerns that she would be a security threat after her surgery:

Quote:
The majority defends the district court’s determination in part by noting that Kosilek may continue to be housed in MCI-Norfolk’s general population where no security issues have arisen during her tenure. The fact that no such issues have arisen in the past, however, does not necessarily render inappropriate or unreasonable the DOC’s concerns that issues might present themselves in Kosilek’s post-operative future. Certainly, courts cannot and should not strip from prison officials the ability to consider and implement prophylactic solutions to foreseeable issues reasonably within the scope of their security expertise. In fact, such a retroactive style of administration would, in itself, seem to amount to just the sort of indifference to credible threats of harm that might constitute a constitutional violation.

Torruella offered no explanation as to how or why Kosilek might somehow become a threat after receiving surgery.

Though Kosilek has been forced to wait entirely too long to receive the medical care that she deserves, her story and the epic amount of deliberation over her condition provide a unique educational opportunity about transgender identities. Kosilek’s distress is not because she is transgender, but because she has been denied the opportunity to fully realize her transgender identity. Though her murder conviction may not endear much public sympathy, her victory will likely set important precedents for the health care of transgender people in the future.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/01/17/3182501/federal-appeals-court-cruel-unusual-punishment-deny-transgender-inmates-surgery/

PostPosted: 01/18/14 1:09 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

How can denying her the surgery be "cruel and unusual punishment"? She wasn't sentenced to be a male. If she wasn't in prison, would she be able to claim it was "cruel and unusual punishment" for the government to refuse to pay for her surgery?

PostPosted: 01/18/14 6:36 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

Ontario stopped paying for gender reassignment surgery through ohip--reclassifying it as an elective surgery not necessary for health reasons. I don't agree with that decision (I think the number of transgender people that end up suicidal goes a long way to making this a "necessary" medical intervention), but since the decision was made, i don't think the prison system is obligated to provide more medical coverage than OHIP does.

But it brings up some interesting questions. without that surgery, the person (was he/she trans male to female or female to male?) will be classified as the original gender, and will be placed in the prison population with that gender, no matter how many years they may have been living as the other gender. In my mind, that IS cruel and unusual punishment. but what are the options? throw the person in solitary for the length of their sentence? isnt that usually reserved as a punishment for bad behaviour in prison, and thus again a cruel and unusual punishment?

It's possible the prison system is just not set up to recognize and cope with the reality of transgender persons (as the school system has also found out they are inadequately set up). So what's the solution?

PostPosted: 01/18/14 6:38 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

Sorry, OHIP is an Ontario thing. socialized medicine and all. I don't know what the litmus test should be in Mass.

PostPosted: 01/18/14 7:13 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

green apple tree wrote:
Sorry, OHIP is an Ontario thing. socialized medicine and all. I don't know what the litmus test should be in Mass.

It's not that I don't have sympathy for the guy. The question I have is why should the state pay for it for him when a free citizen would be denied? If gender reassignment is a constitutional right, shouldn't all citizens be entitled to demand it? Further, if gender reassignment is a constitutional right, what other illnesses or disorders require the state pay for their treatment?

PostPosted: 01/18/14 8:07 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

Up here, i think the test should be -- anything public medicine would normally pay for. But down there....

they do make a commitment to give medical treatment to inmates i guess in lieu of the fact that they can't work and pay for health care? So maybe the test should be what would any average health care plan for an employed person would pay for?

I don't know that much about transgenderism, but given the high rates of suicide (it's like...50 percent in some studies) i do think it should be covered by ohip as medically necessary. it used to be covered--they changed it fairly recently. I knew a guy that went through this--went male to female. It's an incredibly painful condition and the process is unbelievably stressful. People give up everything--all their friends and loved ones, every cent they've ever made, even prostitute themselves to save up for these treatments. They put huge amounts of effort into creating and maintaining identities for themselves in the desired gender, and often go off the deep end when discovered. I think being forced to live in the prision population as their natural gender would be psychologically torturous for someone in this position.

I honestly don't know what the answer is.

PostPosted: 01/19/14 12:33 am • # 7 

In my opinion, the only medical treatments the public is responsible for are those that are necessary to keep the patient alive and free of pain.

Elective surgery should not be footed by you and I.

PostPosted: 01/19/14 10:44 am • # 8 
Editorialist

The danger in making this a "covered" surgery for inmates is that those who want/need the surgery might find a way to get arrested/imprisioned on purpose just to get the surgery. As gat said, they are usually very stressed and desperate.

I'm sure if it were a surgery and/or treatment that could "cure" homosexuality, the conservatives would be all over it. ;)

PostPosted: 01/19/14 11:09 am • # 9 
Administrator

I'm still debating this with myself ~ you've all raised valid points, both pro and con ~ and there are both pro and con real life consequences ~

SciFi, it's my understanding that psychic pain is REAL pain ~ it envelopes one's whole being, and affects every part of one's life ~ being an inmate only magnifies the real life consequences ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/19/14 11:41 am • # 10 
Editorialist

being an inmate only magnifies the real life consequences

Simple solution. Stay out of prison. We've all managed to do that. Same with people who get a speeding ticket after having driven like a bat out of hell for years without being caught. Waaaaa. Don't f'king speed. I hate to be hard-nosed, but personal responsibility is diminishing in today's world.

Everyone is a victim of someone or something else. I'm pretty sick of it, especially having to deal with it on a daily basis. Slip on ice when there was 4 square feet of dry sidewalk around that tiny patch of ice, and it's someone elses fault. Should've cleared every damned drop of ice or at the very least been able to predict where moisture would form and be out there drying it up first. :eyes GRRRRRR! Watch where you are walking, ya dolt. Stop texting and pay attention.

Our favorite saying is "I wonder how soon we'll be expected to be "Groom of the Stool for them?"

(The Groom of the Stool was a male servant in the household of an English monarch who, among other duties, "preside[d] over the office of royal excretion," that is, he had the task of cleaning the monarch's anus after defecation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groom_of_the_Stool )

extraneous rant over. :D

PostPosted: 01/20/14 1:22 pm • # 11 

Sooz, you don't have to have the physical surgery to "become" a girl. I know lots of gay men who live their lives as girls without going through the surgery.

It's how one behaves, dresses, carries themself, and one's attitude.

PostPosted: 01/20/14 2:19 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

SciFiGuy wrote:
Sooz, you don't have to have the physical surgery to "become" a girl. I know lots of gay men who live their lives as girls without going through the surgery.

It's how one behaves, dresses, carries themself, and one's attitude.

Being gay and being transgender are two totally different things although one can be both.

http://www.gaycenter.org/gip/transbasics/glossary

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply