It is currently 03/28/24 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 42 posts ]
PostPosted: 02/10/14 7:27 am • # 1 
Administrator

"Anonymous"??? ~ they don't even have the cojones to put their names on their words? ~ it took a lot of courage for Mike Sam to come out publicly [especially PREceding the draft] ~ and this "man's-man game", apparently filled with cowards, is showing Mike Sam to be light years more brave than these yokels ~ :angry ~ Sooz

TPMLIVEWIRE
Anonymous NFL Execs Are Sure That The League Isn't Ready For A Gay Player
Tom Kludt – February 10, 2014, 6:53 AM EST

Michael Sam came out publicly on Sunday, likely setting himself to become the first openly gay player in the National Football League. And then a group of league executives reminded everyone why such an announcement probably didn't happen sooner.

Speaking anonymously to Sports Illustrated, the executives said that the All-American defensive end from Missouri probably hurt his draft stock with his announcement.

"I don't think football is ready for [an openly gay player] just yet," an NFL player personnel assistant told SI. "In the coming decade or two, it's going to be acceptable, but at this point in time it's still a man's-man game. To call somebody a [gay slur] is still so commonplace. It'd chemically imbalance an NFL locker room and meeting room."

One longtime NFL scout said there's "no question" the announcement will make teams less apt to select Sam in April's draft.

An assistant personnel director said it will take "one confident general manager or head coach" with firm job security to take Sam.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/michael-sam-anonymous-nfl-executives-gay-player

PostPosted: 02/10/14 8:06 am • # 2 
Editorialist

It'd chemically imbalance an NFL locker room and meeting room."

Huh?

Does he mean there would be less testosterone or something? Maybe he thinks Sam will wear "girly" perfume?

What douches they are. :angry

He came out in August to his team and it didn't matter.

PostPosted: 02/10/14 8:47 am • # 3 
Administrator

No point informing these dynosaurs (good grief) dinosaurs that there have probably been gay players in the NFL since day 1.

Last edited by Anonymous on 02/10/14 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02/10/14 10:47 am • # 4 
Editorialist

:lalala

PostPosted: 02/10/14 12:49 pm • # 5 
We took Vick, bet we get this guy, too.

They know there have been gay players, the coaches/managers probably know exactly who they were; it's just easier to behave as if it does not exist.

Last edited by kathyk1024 on 02/10/14 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02/10/14 1:11 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

We had a Gay Rugby league player in the equivalent to the NRL (Here it stands foe National Rugby League :grin ) come out about 30 years ago and didn't seem to have too much trouble.
Of course the fact was a front row forward (roughly equivalent to a "center" I think) who, in a game where size isn't all that important since it has to be matched with stamina and mobility, was 6'4" and built, as we put it in our quaint vernacular, like a brick shit-house, probably helped him a bit.

PostPosted: 02/10/14 8:15 pm • # 7 
Quote:
"I don't think football is ready for [an openly gay player] just yet," an NFL player personnel assistant told SI. "In the coming decade or two, it's going to be acceptable, but at this point in time it's still a man's-man game. 

So, in other words, the military -- where people kill other people -- is ready for gay people. But a game won't be ready for another decade or two?!

PostPosted: 02/11/14 11:04 am • # 8 
I think you are comparing apples and oranges and I am not so sure how "ready" the military actually was either.

The NFL is not only worried about winning but making money and that changes the perspective.

Donte Stallworth has some words of wisdom here. I think Sam will have to put up homophobic crap, but in the few interviews I've seen he appeared intelligent, strong, and poised.

http://q.usatoday.com/2014/02/10/donte- ... m-culture/

PostPosted: 02/11/14 12:59 pm • # 9 
Administrator

SciFiGuy wrote:
Quote:
"I don't think football is ready for [an openly gay player] just yet," an NFL player personnel assistant told SI. "In the coming decade or two, it's going to be acceptable, but at this point in time it's still a man's-man game. 

So, in other words, the military -- where people kill other people -- is ready for gay people. But a game won't be ready for another decade or two?!

Had the military been "ready" it wouldn't have taken a SCOTUS ruling.

PostPosted: 02/11/14 1:25 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

Donte Stallworth made some great points via Twitter yesterday. One team he talked about being able to handle controversy and make it uncontroversial was the New England Patriots ( Stallworth played there). Interestingly, Lavar Arrington took exactly the opposite position on his radio show and stated that if Sam went to New England the story would be "bigger than Tom Brady." I'm with Stallworth on this.

My two cents- there are always going to be people in the NFL and everywhere who are "not ready" and there are likely already gay men in NFL locker rooms and likely have been for many years. If the team that takes him can control the story it will not be an issue.

PostPosted: 02/11/14 7:17 pm • # 11 
not only sport where talent had a battle with prejudice
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_Morley

PostPosted: 02/11/14 9:54 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

ready or not, here he comes.

PostPosted: 02/13/14 8:06 am • # 13 
Administrator

joethree wrote:
not only sport where talent had a battle with prejudice
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_Morley

Very interesting article, Joe ~ we are each "different" in some way ~ some [too many] tend to define "different" as "scary" ~ I tend to approach "different" as a learning experience ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/13/14 8:16 am • # 14 
Administrator

We need many many many more with Dale Hansen's mindset! ~ :st ~ Sooz

Dallas sportscaster destroys homophobic ‘concerns’ over gay NFL prospect Michael Sam
By Arturo Garcia
Wednesday, February 12, 2014 21:59 EST

Longtime Dallas, Texas sportscaster Dale Hansen ripped pro football executives on Monday and others who have expressed apprehension over the prospect of Missouri University star Michael Sam joining the National Football League after announcing he is gay.

“It wasn’t that long ago when we were being told that black players couldn’t play in “our” games because it would be ‘uncomfortable,’” Hansen said in a commentary on WFAA-TV. “And even when they finally could, it took several more years before a black man played quarterback. Because we weren’t “comfortable” with that, either. So many of the same people who used to make that argument (and the many who still do) are the same people who say government should stay out of our lives. But then want government in our bedrooms.”

Hansen also alluded to a Sports Illustrated report highlighting anonymous comments from anonymous NFL executives and a current assistant coach criticizing Sam for stating his sexuality before being drafted.

“I don’t think football is ready for [an openly gay player] just yet,” a player personnel assistant was quoted as saying. “In the coming decade or two, it’s going to be acceptable, but at this point in time it’s still a man’s-man game. To call somebody a [gay slur] is still so commonplace. It’d chemically imbalance an NFL locker room and meeting room.”

But Hansen used the league’s history of personnel decisions to quash that argument.

“You beat a woman and drag her down a flight of stairs, pulling her hair out by the roots? You’re the fourth guy taken in the NFL draft,” Hansen said, referencing St. Louis Rams draft choice Lawrence Phillips. “You kill people while driving drunk? That guy’s welcome. Players caught in hotel rooms with illegal drugs and prostitutes? We know they’re welcome. Players accused of rape and pay the woman to go away? You lie to police trying to cover up a murder? We’re comfortable with that. You love another man? Well, now you’ve gone too far.”

Hansen also admitted to being uncomfortable at times when a man tells him he is gay, but added that, “don’t understand his world. But I do understand that he’s part of mine.”

Watch Hansen’s commentary, as aired on Monday, below. [Sooz says video is accessible via the end link and is well worth watching]

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/02/12/dallas-sportscaster-destroys-homophobic-concerns-over-gay-nfl-prospect-michael-sam/

PostPosted: 02/13/14 8:21 am • # 15 
Administrator

Ironically, those who are spouting that NFL ball is a "man's man" game are too wimpy to accept responsibility for their statements. They have to hide behind a screen of anonymity.
Cowards and hypocrites, IMO.

Edit: So who are the real the "girly-men"?

Last edited by Anonymous on 02/13/14 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02/13/14 9:00 am • # 16 
Administrator

Totally agree, oskar ~

I just came across a youtube link in Salon to the video mentioned in my post #14 above ~ Dale Hansen really does do a great job ~ Sooz

PostPosted: 02/13/14 10:22 am • # 17 
Editorialist

i think someone should take him earlier than the 3rd round.

PostPosted: 02/13/14 4:41 pm • # 18 
Sam's dad is not "ready for a gay son."

http://q.usatoday.com/2014/02/11/michae ... pport-son/

PostPosted: 02/13/14 7:12 pm • # 19 
Administrator

Too bad. He has one.

PostPosted: 02/14/14 12:49 pm • # 20 
Administrator

Posting for the "human interest" value [if any] ~ it sounds like Michael Sam's dad might have been blind-sided by the news and likely has some soul-searching to do ... but that's true for millions of others as well ~ there are "live links" to several more commentaries in a sidebar at the original ~ Sooz

Michael Sam's father denies making any anti-gay comments
Feb 14 -- 1:01p ET
Posted by Sid Saraf

Remember what Michael Sam's father said about being a "man-and-a-woman type of guy" after his son, the SEC Defensive Player of the Year and an NFL Draft prospect, announced to the world that he's gay?

Yeah, he's backing off those comments now.

In an interview with the Galveston Daily Press on Friday, Michael Sam, Sr. said that he was "terribly misquoted" in the initial New York Times article and that he never said anything about not wanting his grandkids raised in "that kind of environment." He also said a quote attributed to him saying that Deacon Jones is rolling over in his grave was taken out of context.

The Times has stood by its story.

"My son did the right thing, and I am not against him at all," Sam Sr. said. "He has made a great statement in coming out, and that he should be able to play in the NFL. I love him unconditionally. ... Once he gets on the field and hits [someone] once, they won't think he's gay."

Well, all right then. Look, I don't know if he was misquoted or not. However I also don't think he can be blamed if his initial reaction was less than admirable. It must have been a surprise to find out — via text message, mind you — that his son is gay. In fact, the text Sam Sr. received said nothing more than "Dad, I'm gay."

So, while some of his initial comments raised eyebrows, at least he came to his senses and reconsidered his thoughts. Let's move on, shall we?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/laces-out/michael-sam-s-father-denies-making-any-anti-gay-comments-021414

PostPosted: 02/14/14 2:39 pm • # 21 
My good friend Pete's dad took a while to get used to the idea of his homosexuality. I think daddy Sam will figure it out, too.

PostPosted: 02/15/14 12:30 pm • # 22 
Editorialist

i am sure it hurt Ernie Banks to be black, too. how do we think of him, now?

PostPosted: 05/10/14 11:12 am • # 23 
Administrator

And the drumbeat of hate goes on ... and on ... and on ~ :g ~ I haven't been paying attention to the NFL draft ~ does anyone know if Michael Sam has been drafted? ~ I hope some team is secure enough about itself to take a stand here against the bigots ~ Sooz

'Relentless' Boycott Planned Against Any Team That Drafts Michael Sam
Submitted by Kyle Mantyla on Thursday, 5/8/2014 1:20 pm

The NFL Draft will take place this weekend, beginning tonight, and there has been a lot of speculation about which team, if any, will draft gay defensive end Michael Sam.

If Sam does get drafted, the team that picks him will get to look forward to dealing with Washington, DC lobbyist Jack Burkman who, as part of his campaign to pass legislation that would ban openly gay players from playing in the NFL, is vowing to unleash a "relentness" boycott against the team that drafts him.

Burkman says that he has a "coalition of Evangelical Christian leaders from across the nation" ready to go as soon as Sam is drafted who will teach the NFL that "when you trample the Christian community and Christian values, there will be a terrible financial price to pay":

Quote:
Jack Burkman, head of the Washington, D.C. lobbying firm J.M. Burkman & Assoc. who is seeking to ban gays from the NFL, says he intends to build a national coalition to boycott any football franchise that picks openly gay football player Michael Sam in the NFL Draft, which starts Thursday at Radio City Music Hall in New York City.

In a release issued Thursday, Burkman said he would "leverage his political clout" to ensure that the franchise that selects the 6-foot-2, 260-pound defensive end from Missouri would get "roughed up financially."

"We shall exercise our First Amendment rights and shall not stop until the drafting NFL franchise cannot sell a single ticket, jersey or autographed football," said Burkman. "In short, we shall be relentless."

Burkman claims in the release that he is currently mobilizing "powerful grassroots organizations in 27 of the 50 states," as well as a "coalition of Evangelical Christian leaders from across the nation to take part in a protest if Sam is drafted."

"The NFL, like most of the rest of American business, is about to learn that when you trample the Christian community and Christian values there will be a terrible financial price to pay," said Burkman.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/relentless-boycott-planned-against-any-team-drafts-michael-sam

PostPosted: 05/10/14 11:26 am • # 24 
Administrator

We'll take him in the CFL.

PostPosted: 05/10/14 3:39 pm • # 25 
Editorialist

Burkman says that he has a "coalition of Evangelical Christian leaders from across the nation" ready to go as soon as Sam is drafted who will teach the NFL that "when you trample the Christian community and Christian values, there will be a terrible financial price to pay":

Ready to go where? Someone please point me to a time when the NFL claimed to be a Christian organization/business. :b

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 42 posts ] New Topic Add Reply