It is currently 05/13/24 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/04/14 12:41 pm • # 26 
Editorialist

No law can be perfect, because words on paper don't directly control human impulses. Laws do provide for the agreed upon punishment *after* they are broken.

I think it's a stretch to imply that assisted suicide is nothing but a slippery slope to involuntary execution. All kinds of horrible things already happen to the elderly and/or ill. There's always going to be neglect and abuse, because that's what (some) humans do. Pass all the laws you want to prohibit selective culling of patients, but IMO there will be isolated incidents. Not because assisted suicide is an option, but because of human nature. We've already had "angel of death" nursing home employee cases. Vulnerable people are just that-vulnerable.

So...certain chemo drugs were not covered but assisted suicide drugs were? Would it somehow be better if they both weren't covered? Because there will never be "covered drugs of any kind for all patients"-that's just not going to happen. (We can't even guarantee perfectly healthy women coverage for all types of birth control with a law in place that says birth control IS covered. lol) Besides, I'm sure that "drugs you could overdose on and die if you took enough" will always be an option.

Brittany said something along the lines of "It's not that I want to die, I AM dying". She was suffering, and it was going to get worse and there was no way to stop it. It's a shame she had to move to another state just to have the ability to guarantee herself a legal, peaceful end.

PostPosted: 11/06/14 6:40 am • # 27 
Editorialist

I'm only posting this because of one sentence in the article which I've highlighted. I know there are Christians who disagree with Brittany's decision, but this mindset takes the cake. I also think that this woman (and other Christians with cancer) really do think that they could get some sort of miracle, no matter how much they protest. Or they see themselves as some sort of martyr for persevering.

'Hope in hopelessness': Gadsden woman says there's another side to Brittany Maynard death decision

GADSDEN, Alabama -- Michelle Myrick knows the emotions that drove Brittany Maynard to take her own life. But she thinks that even in the face of brain cancer, there is hope in desperation.
Myrick said she has only followed the coverage "from a distance" - as she understood Maynard's condition, but also tries to limit her exposure to reminders of the cancer.

"In the beginning, it just broke my heart that she was giving up," Myrick said. "I remember what my doctors said - 'Don't look at the statistics. You're not a statistic.'"
"I have the same fears she had," Myrick said. "Brian and I have had discussions that couples in their 30s should not have to have. I've had to face those things, and I have those fears. But it saddens me that she took her life, because she took the joy out of her family being able to love on her through it."
Myrick said she draws her hope from her Christian faith, though that doesn't mean she expects to receive a longer life. She just expects God to make the most of the days she has.

http://www.al.com/news/anniston-gadsden ... rt_m-rpt-2

Joy? Really? Watching a loved one suffer great pain is joyful? To each his/her own, but this woman romanticizes it. I have been around a lot of caregivers of dying people and I've never seen anyone who seemed joyful about it.

PostPosted: 11/06/14 9:30 am • # 28 
I think joyful is the wrong term. I think she meant they wanted every last possible minute to show the person love while still here. I think we tend to romanticize death period.

I think we romanticized Brittany's death with dignity. She had brain cancer, was in terrible pain, and legally took pain killers that killed her. I would probably do the same thing in her position, too, but it really isn't romantic. These premature deaths are awful and painful and leave a lot of wreckage.

I think everyone in this position wants a miracle. Every once in a very blue moon someone gets one.

Go to page Previous  1, 2   Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ] New Topic Add Reply