It is currently 05/03/24 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: No LedZep reunion
PostPosted: 11/14/14 9:47 am • # 1 
Administrator

I still love Led Zeppelin so I'm disappointed with this decision ~ but I do understand and support the principle involved ~ even with his son on drums, LedZep is not LedZep without John Bonham ~ Sooz

Robert Plant Turned Down $800 Million For Led Zeppelin Reunion
The Hollywood Reporter | Abid Rahman | 4 days ago

In a story that will only add to the legend of Led Zeppelin, the band's lead singer Robert Plant reportedly turned down the chance for the surviving members to bank a staggering $800 million for a reunion tour.

The Daily Mirror reported that Virgin boss Richard Branson, a life-long Zeppelin fan, proposed a contract of a 35 date three city tour that would have made Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones just over $300 million each before tax. Drummer John Bonham, whose death in 1980 effectively ended Led Zeppelin, would also have been represented through his son Jason, who would have been paid a wage to perform.

Needless to say, the prospective tour would have been the most lucrative for any artist or act in the history of live music, and The Mirror's source says Page, Jones and Jason Bonham all eagerly signed up.

However, the implacable Plant wasn't so keen and reportedly tore up the contract in front of shocked promoters as he felt it was the right thing to do.

“Jimmy, John and Jason signed up immediately," said the Mirror's source adding, "it was a no-brainer for them but Robert asked for 48 hours to think about it. When he said no and ripped up the paperwork he had been given, there was an enormous sense of shock. There is no way they can go ahead without him.”

Plant's refusal was absolute and there is no going back said the report. “They have tried to talk him round but there is no chance... His mind is made up and that's that,” said the source.

The failure to agree to the mega-tour scuppered Branson's grandiose plans that included rebranding one of his Virgin jets as "The Starship" to fly the band to venues in London, Berlin and New Jersey. Branson also offered the band an option to do 45 more gigs in five venues.

“Branson tried to pull out all of the stops. But even his money was not enough to get Plant to sign up. He is gutted,” said the source.

Since their split in 1980, the surviving members of Led Zeppelin have only performed together briefly four times, the last occasion being a one night only gig at London's O2 on Dec. 10, 2007 to celebrate the life of record executive Ahmert Ertegun.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/robert-plant-turned-down-dollar800-million-for-led-zeppelin-reunion/ar-AA7p4iQ

Post subject: Re: No LedZep reunion
PostPosted: 11/14/14 10:19 am • # 2 
Editorialist

they have tried reuniting a number of times, and it has never worked.

PostPosted: 11/14/14 10:49 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Robert Plant is turning into the grumpy old "get off my lawn!" guy. Always a bunch of drama whenever anyone brings up a reunion. How he's just too heartbroken over losing Bono to consider playing "those songs".

Yeah, right.

Check out the set list from any of his "solo" performances and it's clear that he doesn't mind performing Zep tunes when it suits him. He talks the talk about how "he's not bored" enough to do a Zep tour because he's got all this new and exciting stuff going on. How Jimmy Page is living in the past. Then HE does a live show, and...

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/average-set ... e+Shifters

"Celebration Day" was a HUGE success with Jason filling in on drums for his dad.

Robert can't hit the notes he used to, and an extended tour would no doubt he hard on his vocal chords. I think that's the real reason he refuses.

PostPosted: 11/14/14 1:40 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

I don't care what his reason were.

Its just nice to see someone say "I don't care how much money you've got you can't get me to do something I don't want to do".

Of course, that's easier when you are already rolling in it, but in some ways that also makes it nicer to see.

Not all rich people are in thrall to Mammon - just most of them.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply